How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze for Servicing (RMA)?
Jul 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #92 of 560

Would something like lock-tight fix that?  My first pair had the same issue and that was my plan to try and fix it.

I used Loctite 242 on my D2000s way back when and it fixed them for good. You only need a little dab on the first few threads. Give them time to dry first. Hopefully no impact on warranty.

Surprised to see these build issues.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #93 of 560
Wow! Over a 50% failure. They should be refunding money, and redesigning there product. Anything less is fraud, as they know of the issue, but continue to sell a defectively  designed product.

Sounds like a lot of you are being hypocritical. Would you put up with this sort of track recored from other products? Your car, stove, refrigerator, or would you return to the same dentist if your fillings continued to fall out.

Glad I found this tread, as I was hot to get some Audeze product in the near future. I'll stick with a tried and true companys, such as Oppo or Sennheiser. I've run my HD650's daily for 11 years with zero issues.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #95 of 560
  Sounds like a lot of you are being hypocritical. Would you put up with this sort of track recored from other products? Your car, stove, refrigerator, or would you return to the same dentist is your fillings continued to fall out.

Can't speak for everyone but I do feel a little victimized, at the same time absolutely love the sound of the LCD3s. Probably will stay with the LCD3, if only because they are tough to unload. And no it is probably not a 50% failure rate but it is unacceptably high.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #96 of 560

Sorry - where did you get that statistic?  Is your sole source the one thread dedicated to LCD3 failures because I suspect that it is a bit skewed.

Sorry- from the top of the page! Either way, 59 failures is very high in this post time span. If you don't see that? then (IMO) this thread is not the only thing a bit skewed.

Defending a company that is knowingly selling a defective product, is very Skewed indeed. And my view of this sort of business practice would be the same for any other brand.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #98 of 560

Sorry- from the top of the page! Either way, 59 failures is very high in this post time span. If you don't see that? then (IMO) this thread is not the only thing a bit skewed.

Defending a company that is knowingly selling a defective product, is very Skewed indeed. And my view of this sort of business practice would be the same for any other brand.

59 failures is high - silly high.  There is no doubt that Audeze has a major QC issue with the 3's.  My point was that I don't think that 50% of all 3's fail.  In speaking to Audeze and a local Audeze dealer is it a relatively high fail rate and that needs to be addressed but it is no where near the 50% mark.  I also wasn't defending (or attacking) Audeze.  I just think it is best to make a decision based on better information that the poll on this thread.  Should you be cautious of buying a pair?  Absolutely. Should you 100% avoid them because many fail?  Maybe.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #99 of 560
  Hopefully Audeze can find the source of the problem and fix it.  

Hopefully! They should also post the problem on there site, and offer lifetime warranty to this specific issue. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #100 of 560

Sounds like a lot of you are being hypocritical. Would you put up with this sort of track recored from other products? Your car, stove, refrigerator, or would you return to the same dentist is your fillings continued to fall out.

Can't speak for everyone but I do feel a little victimized, at the same time absolutely love the sound of the LCD3s. Probably will stay with the LCD3, if only because they are tough to unload. And no it is probably not a 50% failure rate but it is unacceptably high.

I am not sure if feeling victimized is the right word for me ... though I do feel like I have been living in a Stephen King horror novel (well the audiophile version of a horror novel).

I agree, the 50% failure rate figure seems too high, but no one apart from Audeze really knows.

As for me ... I am out of the game, have got rid of my LCD-3 ... while I am a strong fan of Audeze sound quality and comfort ,they are outstanding , a true reference HeadPhone ...
though as far as the LCD3 goes the 5th driver failure was just too much for me.    The straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

I have gone for a different model Audeze, so I will probably not post much (if ever at all) again in this thread, else it will be like scratching an open wound.

Before I finish what will likely be my very last post in this thread ... one thing I would like to see ... I was going to make a suggestion that Audeze be more proactive ... not just reactive.  
Never have Audeze contacted me after a driver failure to ask things like ;

1) What amp do you use ?
2) What is the wattage ?
3) Do you travel much ?
4) Any after market cables ?
5) do you use a speaker amp ?
6) do you use it plugged in all the time ?
7) do you use it ... repeatively unhooking from your amp ?
8) What type of climate (heat, cold, humidity) do you use your LCD ?

Probably could brain storm some better questions ... either Audeze or the very good community here on HeadFi could do that... but I hope you get my drift ... there just seems to be zero follow up on trying to work out what the pattern is that cause the fault ... that is, is it some behaviour in the persons use ?  unless they already know it is a manufacturing issue ... and whatever the user does, does not matter.    Anyway, some sort of questionnaire may lead to better insight and clarity as to the actual cause.   Maybe someone else has a better idea ... why not be positive and turn this thread into something which can help us and Audeze ?

Just my thoughts.  I have tried to keep my thoughts balanced & fair all thru this thread (for example, "A true reference headphone" and such when mentioning sound quality, even while complaining of the LCD3 driver reliability).
Some may see my choice to stick with Audeze as unusual, though I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater (had a LCD-2 previously which was faultless).
I am a very strong fan of the brand ... it is this particular model (LCD-3) that I needed to get away from.  I wish the best to everyone, for my own good I will probably unsubscribe from this thread very soon.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #101 of 560

I am not sure if feeling victimized is the right word for me ... though I do feel like I have been living in a Stephen King horror novel (well the audiophile version of a horror novel).

Before you go,
1) What other Audeze did you get,
2) How does it sound compared to the LCD3,
3) What did you do with your LCD3 if anything.
-Thanks

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #102 of 560

Before you go,
1) What other Audeze did you get,
2) How does it sound compared to the LCD3,
3) What did you do with your LCD3 if anything.
-Thanks

1) LCD-X .... before deciding to stick with Audeze, I spent 4 hours searching the LCD-X HeadFi thread, could only find about 4 or 5 instances of driver failure ... ever.
    So, hopefully my experience will be like when I had my LCD-2 ... that is, faultless.
2) Not sure, have not picked it up yet.
3) My excellent dealer took care of me (sent it back and made a deal along with other stuff), cant really give any more details than that as it was private chat.
    So impressed with him, I ended up buying more gear (got an Auralic Aries on the way).

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #103 of 560
I was in a high end audio store last month auditioning the LCD-3s connected to a Woo WA-7 headphone amp. While I was listening to various tracks, the salesman let me continue listening while he tended to other business. During the audition, the left channel suddenly stopped working. I thought, oh great, he's going to think that I did something to cause this. When he returned, I told him that the left channel just quit and the volume was not at all that high.He wiggled the cable a bit ,which did nothing , and then he just shrugged his shoulders and said he'll have to get them repaired and I can come back to try again. with that experience,I am convinced this headphone has problems that Audeze is not acknowledging. In an email I sent them inquiring about this, they responded with " Regarding the LCD-3 driver, since we changed the driver materials almost 2 years ago, we have seen very, very few LCD driver failures.​ And we do repair and update any failed drivers at no charge." this is kind of hard to believe since I read about just about the same amount of failures with current LCD-3fs as I've read on older LCD-3s.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #104 of 560
Wow, I was sitting here thinking about whether to create a thread on this very topic.
I didn't know if Audeze would want me to share my experience (even though I've been very satisfied).
I wanted to post a positive review about the customer service but didn't know if it would be appropriate to post the details.

I returned my LCD3 last month, have had them for over 2 years.
I didn't know this then, but the LCD3 has a 3 year warranty.

I asked for the screw that goes under the yoke rod, and also ordered (paid for) new cables.
The screws fell off (they came loose on my headphones during normal use).
The cables were munched on by my dog (therefore, I should pay for new ones).
I got the new cables but was sent the wrong screws (honest mistake is the only reasonable/logical explanation) so I just ordered the extended yoke rods.

After some time (about a week), my right-side headphone did not produce any sound.
It was a sudden loss, the sound cut in and out one day then just stopped (all in the same day).
I tried to flip the cables to see if that was the issue and tried plugging in different headphones to my computer, just to rule out alternatives.

I let Audeze know and they asked my for some information about my headphones.
I sent over the information and they gave me an RMA. At this point I didn't know they'd be replacing the headphones.
I sent the headphones (i paid shipping) and received what seemed to be new headphones.

I can't tell if it's new or repaired but it does have the fazor.
I'm very satisfied with the customer service but can see why it would be concerning to have to send in broken headphones.

Well, Audeze does honor the warranty.

Also, I clicked the wrong box for the poll, I checked never but should have checked 1. eh...

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #105 of 560
Hopefully! They should also post the problem on there site, and offer lifetime warranty to this specific issue. 

Lifetime warranty? What planet are you from?
They already stated that they extend your warranty out to 3 years from the time if driver repair which is better than I'd expect from most companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back