How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze for Servicing (RMA)?
Jun 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #76 of 560
To err is human. And building anything is a human pursuit.

Plus, as someone else stated earlier, Audeze likely pushes the envelope with their planar designs.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #77 of 560
To err is human. And building anything is a human pursuit.

Plus, as someone else stated earlier, Audeze likely pushes the envelope with their planar designs.

what envelope? Its just piece of plastic with aluminum on it tightly tensioned like drum between bunch of magnets,I have no idea what breaks on it so much.Hifiman is same thing and doesnt break so much

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #78 of 560
what envelope? Its just piece of plastic with aluminum on it tightly tensioned like drum between bunch of magnets,I have no idea what breaks on it so much.Hifiman is same thing and doesnt break so much

sigh....
deadhorse.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #79 of 560

Headphones arent rocket science,making diy electrostats and planars is fairly simple..... its just like I described,a drum with plastic membrane with metal traces on it between magnets,its not like computer or car,its simple and only moving part is that driver....... why chinese hifiman makes it more reliable,the he 6 and lcd 3 is extremly similiar

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #80 of 560
Headphones arent rocket science,making diy electrostats and planars is fairly simple..... its just like I described,a drum with plastic membrane with metal traces on it between magnets,its not like computer or car,its simple and only moving part is that driver....... why chinese hifiman makes it more reliable,the he 6 and lcd 3 is extremly similiar

Complexity is not a prerequisite for mechanical failure. A one piece screwdriver can fail if the tip is chipped.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #81 of 560
  To what end:  To get them to revise their production strategy.

With all due respect, the odds of us being able to collect a representative sample that is of use to Audeze that they also happen to not already be tracking seems completely improbable.

As for myself just got my LCD-3 returned after a left driver failure. They replaced both drivers, psa's, and earpads. Took exactly 7 days between them receiving the headphones and shipping them back out. I recommend calling for an RMA instead of using their online support system.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #82 of 560

With all due respect, the odds of us being able to collect a representative sample that is of use to Audeze that they also happen to not already be tracking seems completely improbable.

You're probably correct.  No harm in trying.  If nothing else, Audeze can see that we, as a community, are aware of the issue, it's affecting their bottom line, and hopefully make some internal changes.  This poll might only be a stepping stone to narrowing it down.  Fazor vs. non-fazor would be interesting.  Maybe BLOCKS of serial numbers so no one has to post their full number, avoiding any legal issues?  

I think customer awareness is important around reliability of something this high end.  Narrowing it down, step by step, is the only way to do it.  

I think you're also assuming a lot in Audeze actually tracking all of these variables.  They're not a large company and I happen to work in the data industry.  You'd be surprised how shallow and ad-hoc most solutions are at even enterprise level companies.  

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #83 of 560
Actually, how many total LCDs does Audeze produce per month? If they do say, 100/month, and 2 fail within 6 months, that ain't so bad. imo.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #84 of 560
  You'd be surprised how shallow and ad-hoc most solutions are at even enterprise level companies.  

You are correct. I worked for a very small company (50 people) that made aircraft equipment. They investigated every failed unit and tracked the failures. When they were able to attribute multiple failures to a specific cause, they always tried to fix it, with varying degrees of success. Typical causes were manufacturing defects, design flaws, and software bugs. Some problems are a simple fix and some can take years to correct. Some fixes, like software, cause other things to break.

The point is, you can be sure that Audeze has investigated these failures, and knows exactly what is causing them. They most likely have already instituted design and manufacturing changes intended to correct the problem. It is possible that the LCD3 manufactured today is free of these defects. It is also possible that the problem is so expensive to fix that it's cheaper to do nothing, then pay the RMA costs on the other end (the GM approach). Whatever it is, they're not telling us.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #88 of 560
Condolences...

Haha.  Thanks.  It's pretty disappointing.  That's the third time since Feb 2015 - there were bought new from a dealer (and thankfully have a warranty) in June of 2014.  I'm just glad they aren't my ONLY pair of headphones.  What I fear most is keeping them past their warranty period.  Right now I am getting an average of 4 months per pair.

The first time they replaced both drivers.  The second time, they sent me a brand new pair.  The service from Audeze has been generally good but the reliability of my LCD3's, so far, is really poor.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #89 of 560
I had to send in my LCD-2.2 two times, my LCD-3C three times, and my LCD-3F two times. No outright driver failures, just ****ty build, assembly and repair quality.

Wood earpods skuffed new out of the box. Still skuffed and new skuffs when returned from RMA. Returned with RMA again. Sold the LCD-2.2.

Driver imbalance issues returned three times before fixed. Sold my LCD-3C.

RH mini XLR fell out. Week after returned from RMA, LH mini XLR fell out. Returned with RMA. Sold the LCD-3F.

Audeze may be good at R&D, but my experience with them executing on that as an end user has not been stellar. Especially for the premium price they ask for their product.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #90 of 560
Had to get my X's yokes fixed as they were part of the batch that had them bent. Since then the screws at the end of them keep coming undone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back