How many songs do you have in your music library?
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #302 of 615
Quote:
I have 9k ish, the growth of my collection has slowed down a lot more now that I can hear the difference between FLAC and mp3s through my headphones.

Take your flac copy, convert it to mp3 using any good converter.. and you tell me if you can still "hear the difference"

I can hear the difference between a new flac copy and an old mp3.. but, never a flac copy and a new, up to date, properly encoded mp3

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #303 of 615
Quote:
Take your flac copy, convert it to mp3 using any good converter.. and you tell me if you can still "hear the difference"

I can hear the difference between a new flac copy and an old mp3.. but, never a flac copy and a new, up to date, properly encoded mp3

Not all MP3s are created equal. A MP3 encoded at 128 which is a default setting on a lot of programs is NOT going to sound as good as FLAC/ALAC/WAV 99% of the time, IMO.

MP3s encoded at 320 sound close to lossless. Honestly, a lot of the time when I check and see I am listening to a MP3 and not ALAC/FLAC it is very surprising how good it sounds.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #304 of 615
I rip my CD's in ALAC just for the sake of it, but if I have something in 320kbps I can barely notice a difference 

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #305 of 615
Quote:
almost 50k mp3's across all genres. What's considered to be not newbie & what are some of the biggest numbers that come up a lot. I'm not talking about the guy who has 30Terabytes but on average what is considered a huge collection?

50k is not a newbie....i personally consider 25k as the breaking point.  a huge collection to me is >250k (i'm sitting >130k but feel like a newb sometimes, even after 25 years of collecting).  the largest collection i've personally seen is 1,000,000 (yup, a million) but that's not normal :wink:
keep in mind this is coming from purely a collectors point of view, things like master quality, special vinyl releases, etc. change the whole game

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #306 of 615
Quote:
Not all MP3s are created equal. A MP3 encoded at 128 which is a default setting on a lot of programs is NOT going to sound as good as FLAC/ALAC/WAV 99% of the time, IMO.

MP3s encoded at 320 sound close to lossless. Honestly, a lot of the time when I check and see I am listening to a MP3 and not ALAC/FLAC it is very surprising how good it sounds.

there are very, very few people who can tell between flac and 320mp3 in a proper ABX test.  i can't reliably tell 256 if the rip is proper...i can tell 128 every time (foobar ABX)

the real "issue" with mp3 is that they are lossy, so if you transcode or move the files around a lot they can lose quality, or if there is a flaw in the rip (or on the CD) it can get amplified in the compression.  i'm very happy with 256/320 for ipod use, with flac for archiving/transcoding and critical listening at home.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #307 of 615
Ugh, up another 3300 or so since last posting about 4 months ago.  51751 now.  I think I've got a problem.
confused_face.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #308 of 615
Quote:

yup, yup.. I personally keep a v0 copy of all my flac for putting on my portable players.

Quote:
almost 50k mp3's across all genres. What's considered to be not newbie & what are some of the biggest numbers that come up a lot. I'm not talking about the guy who has 30Terabytes but on average what is considered a huge collection?

A lot of us that are real into music seem to be sitting somewhere between 30-60k.. I'd call anything over like 75-100k pretty freaking huge. It also kinda depends on your age and how long you have been collecting music.. Like, for me, I've only been seriously collecting high quality music for two years now and I've been conservative about it too, because of limited space :) That being said.. I'm sitting at

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #311 of 615
If I rip every CD I have onto my computer I'd probably have around 2,000 total songs. Right now I have 1,720 songs on my computer. I have a couple dozen CD's that I don't really have any interest in anymore. Hopefully I get some iTunes gift cards for Christmas though. I do also have the basic $4.99 a month subscription to MOG, and MOG streams at 320kbps MP3. I add 2-3 albums a month to my collection on average, so my collection isn't growing all that fast. I'm only 27 and obtain all of my music legally by the way   

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #314 of 615
Quote:
If I rip every CD I have onto my computer I'd probably have around 2,000 total songs. Right now I have 1,720 songs on my computer. I have a couple dozen CD's that I don't really have any interest in anymore. Hopefully I get some iTunes gift cards for Christmas though. I do also have the basic $4.99 a month subscription to MOG, and MOG streams at 320kbps MP3. I add 2-3 albums a month to my collection on average, so my collection isn't growing all that fast. I'm only 27 and obtain all of my music legally by the way   

CD good, iTunes bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back