HOW MANY OF YOU LISTEN TO YOUR YUINS MORE THAN YOUR FULL SIZE HEADPHONES?
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, thats IMO, probably the opposite of why we are here. I would take a guess that the reason most of us portable users are here on head-fi is because the iPod and iBuds SQ is TERRIBLE and we thought there must be something we can do to improve it. Hence the imod, self diy ipod mods, custom ipod LODs, portable headphone amps, IEM/portable headphone discussions, etc. If the iBuds and iPod were really that good, most of us wouldn't have a need to come here to discuss other options and wouldn't feel the need to spend hundreds to improve the sound. I have nothing against Apple as I do have a MBP (the only laptop model I'd actually buy) and a Ipod. Just the argument that the ibuds and ipod alone offer decent sound, IMO, seems wrong to me (heard the ibuds out of my ipod once, threw them in the trash and ordered something else)

The 1G shuffle did have good sound quality.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1G shuffle did have good sound quality.

Indeed, I never said it didn't. I was actually trying to find one for awhile before i got my 5.5g as I was planning on imodding it, never did get around to doing that, always something else to buy
tongue.gif
But its the combination of ibuds with the ipod that really drag the sound down imo, but then again most consumers don't care much about it and think it sounds awesome.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #33 of 62
i got friends who've got speakers that cost more than all my headphones combined and yet use ibuds w/ their ipod.

I let them try entry-level headphones and some stubbornly argues that their ibuds sound "exactly the same" and ask me why i waste my money

I think the problem has to do much with people thinking that portable audio is SUPPOSED to sound ****ty.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #35 of 62
got your answer yet suzuki??? lol

all I can say is you got some weird ear canals going on there. and OP was right when he said that the reason we are (at least I am) here is because we want to squeeze MORE out of the ipod; not because they are so happy with the iBUDS. as I touched on in my reply to your post in the portable hifi is just silly thread; most people just dont care enough to go out and get better phones for their ipod; as far as they're concerned they make noise and thats good enough for them. You on the other hand have another kind of thing all together going on; very confusing; I cant quite put it into words
confused_face(1).gif

at the meet you heard some of the best cans (portable and not) and amps (ditto) available in the world today and its not just people here on head-fi that think so; we just happen to be some of the most extreme enthusiasts

i'm a long time (some would say fanatical) apple user (since the original 128k mac) and I love their products; i'm typing on a G5 right now, but the ibuds are the absolute weakest link in the apple lineup. I run rockbox on my DIYMODDED ipod 5.5G and use a pico portable amp to drive my SE530 and looking to add to that a whole lot more (denon D5000 plus diy VCAP dock); so I clearly find it (the ipod) to have potential, or I wouldn't have wasted so much time and money on making the most of it. I give every set of ibuds I get with a product away, or sacrifice them to the audio gods
biggrin.gif
in my book they sound like utter crud I have to walk around pushing them into my ears to get any kind of noise out of them, and I have to absolutely crank them because of the almost non existent isolation which is unhealthy. I dont have to crank my SE530 anywhere near as much to get higher volume; in fact there is a class action going on against apple regarding this issue and young people going deaf because of it.

so it seems you are unique
biggrin.gif
at least with anyone I know and most people here I would imagine.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got your answer yet suzuki??? lol

all I can say is you got some weird ear canals going on there. and OP was right when he said that the reason we are (at least I am) here is because we want to squeeze MORE out of the ipod; not because they are so happy with the iBUDS. as I touched on in my reply to your post in the portable hifi is just silly thread; most people just dont care enough to go out and get better phones for their ipod; as far as they're concerned they make noise and thats good enough for them. You on the other hand have another kind of thing all together going on; very confusing; I cant quite put it into words
confused_face(1).gif

at the meet you heard some of the best cans (portable and not) and amps (ditto) available in the world today and its not just people here on head-fi that think so; we just happen to be some of the most extreme enthusiasts

i'm a long time (some would say fanatical) apple user (since the original 128k mac) and I love their products; i'm typing on a G5 right now, but the ibuds are the absolute weakest link in the apple lineup. I run rockbox on my DIYMODDED ipod 5.5G and use a pico portable amp to drive my SE530 and looking to add to that a whole lot more (denon D5000 plus diy VCAP dock); so I clearly find it (the ipod) to have potential, or I wouldn't have wasted so much time and money on making the most of it. I give every set of ibuds I get with a product away, or sacrifice them to the audio gods
biggrin.gif
in my book they sound like utter crud I have to walk around pushing them into my ears to get any kind of noise out of them, and I have to absolutely crank them because of the almost non existent isolation which is unhealthy. I dont have to crank my SE530 anywhere near as much to get higher volume; in fact there is a class action going on against apple regarding this issue and young people going deaf because of it.

so it seems you are unique
biggrin.gif
at least with anyone I know and most people here I would imagine.

qusp

i get my answer from my ears and i still wouldn't swap my yuins.
there is a lot of hype on this thread for this and that. i like a balanced sound that sounds like full range speakers that have a good tight bass and don't make me do funny faces with spikes in the highs or boomy bass.
i really wanted to find a little amp and some great headphones but i was not swayed to do so. reasons stated before. i love my music just like you.

i never said you guys are so happy with your buds!
i said the ipod/buds sound pretty good and that started people looking to improve upon that. some people on here keep the buds,(many,many more outside of head-fi do keep em) but many keep the ipod here and outside.

and please i said the ipod buds were pretty good not fantastic!

plus you can't say,"most people just dont care enough to go out and get better phones for their ipod; as far as they're concerned they make noise and thats good enough for them".
you're almost saying only people on this site know what good sound is? i for one wouldn't have originally listened to my buds for hours on end and enjoyed them if they just made noise, same with the rest of the world. especially if they were annoying. that would be like self punishment. the only negative thing i will say about the buds is that they are not very reliable, eg break.

if you read the portable amp is silly thread more people agree than disagree.
all i will say is that i was suprised that the port/amps never improved the sound of my pk2 made it worse. just hope the pk1 improve on the 2's?

i said many times i never listened to iem's, what up? i can't comment on them, glad you like em, but i wonder how many comment on the yuins without listening?

you say,"I dont have to crank my SE530 anywhere near as much to get higher volume; in fact there is a class action going on against apple regarding this issue and young people going deaf because of it."
i say, might as well sue bmw for making fast cars when you wrap em round a pole. all about the right foot and right thumb,
wink.gif
. and plus i don't have to crank my yuins at work or the buds when i had em to get a decent volume and i work in a warehouse. so my ears are pretty good. i don't mind cranking them for some songs.

i find it strange how you think you can speak for most people here. many people rank the pk1 very high here, right up there with the best.

um, and ain't i the op?
wink.gif

take it ezy man.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qusp

i get my answer from my ears and i still wouldn't swap my yuins.
there is a lot of hype on this thread for this and that. i like a balanced sound that sounds like full range speakers that have a good tight bass and don't make me do funny faces with spikes in the highs or boomy bass.
i really wanted to find a little amp and some great headphones but i was not swayed to do so. reasons stated before. i love my music just like you.

hmmmm i'm not arguing with what you hear; I just think its weird that you didn't hear anything you liked more than yuins at the meet
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:

i never said you guys are so happy with your buds!
i said the ipod/buds sound pretty good and that started people looking to improve upon that. some people on here keep the buds,(many,many more outside of head-fi do keep em) but many keep the ipod here and outside.

yes they do; and IMO they probably do so because they either couldn't care less about good earbuds orthey don't know what good earbuds sound like. but thats just me. you are one of the first people who cares about good sound I have heard say that they are good; and i'm not just talking about head-fi

Quote:

and please i said the ipod buds were pretty good not fantastic!

the fact that you saiud you would prefer the ibuds even to some of the phones at the meet says to me you think they sound pretty darn good. but of course you just think that the denon MD5000 sounds bad
biggrin.gif

Quote:

plus you can't say,"most people just dont care enough to go out and get better phones for their ipod; as far as they're concerned they make noise and thats good enough for them".
you're almost saying only people on this site know what good sound is? i for one wouldn't have originally listened to my buds for hours on end and enjoyed them if they just made noise, same with the rest of the world.

where as you are trying to use the whole world to back you up.
tongue.gif
most people don't expect great sound from a portable setup; just look at 99% of supplied earbuds that come wiith players of all sorts. Sure the ibuds may be ok when you think about that, but thats not expecting too much.
Quote:

especially if they were annoying. that would be like self punishment.

thats why this is so confusing; to me IT IS SELF PUNISHMENT; and i'm not alone.

Quote:

if you read the portable amp is silly thread more people agree than disagree.

thats because it draws more people that agree. most people that see that title will just avoid it if they don't agree; unless they were in a stressed out mood and felt like some conflict (like me)
Quote:

all i will say is that i was suprised that the port/amps never improved the sound of my pk2 made it worse. just hope the pk1 improve on the 2's?

i'm not arguing with what you heard; I just think its weird thats all.
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:

i said many times i never listened to iem's, what up? i can't comment on them, glad you like em, but i wonder how many comment on the yuins without listening?

dont know what this comment is about I havent said anything about IEMs since the silly thread. and actually I'm not sure you can comment on them without trying them. I didn't try YOUR yuins but you are not the only yuin owner out there. they are good for the price but IMO well overrated. IMO KOSS make a better value and scale even more with amplification.

Quote:

you say,"I dont have to crank my SE530 anywhere near as much to get higher volume; in fact there is a class action going on against apple regarding this issue and young people going deaf because of it."
i say, might as well sue bmw for making fast cars when you wrap em round a pole. all about the right foot and right thumb,
wink.gif

not really the same thing; a cars speed is very tangible; the volume coming out of Ibuds is not; if you are getting such crap isolation that you have to crank it, it appears that it is not loud, but in fact it is..

Quote:

and plus i don't have to crank my yuins at work or the buds when i had em to get a decent volume and i work in a warehouse. so my ears are pretty good. i don't mind cranking them for some songs.

OK goldenears
biggrin.gif

Quote:

i find it strange how you think you can speak for most people here. many people rank the pk1 very high here, right up there with the best.

I said I WOULD THINK that most people here on head-fi would agree. maybe the people on the yuin appreciation thread think they are great. but if you start comparing them to top range cans then IMO you lose credibility. but still enjoy what you have got. just don't try and tell me that I'm getting ripped off; to my ears my IEM's and most top end cans crap on YUIN's but thats just IMO. remember that

peace out

Quote:

um, and ain't i the op?
wink.gif

yep you are oops

Quote:

take it ezy man.

you too

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #39 of 62
I have a pair of Yuin PK1's. My wife has a pair of Yuin Pk2's. She loves hers. I have other phones and only juse the Yuins when I want to travel light. I like the Pk!'s and Pk2's. But I'm more inclined to listen to my Grado 325i's or my AKG 701's.

For ear buds the Yuins are fantastic. Who know that ear buds could produce so much bass! And a fine soundstage.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

hmmmm i'm not arguing with what you hear; I just think its weird that you didn't hear anything you liked more than yuins at the meet
confused_face(1).gif

yes they do; and IMO they probably do so because they either couldn't care less about good earbuds orthey don't know what good earbuds sound like. but thats just me. you are one of the first people who cares about good sound I have heard say that they are good; and i'm not just talking about head-fi

the fact that you saiud you would prefer the ibuds even to some of the phones at the meet says to me you think they sound pretty darn good. but of course you just think that the denon MD5000 sounds bad
biggrin.gif

never said

where as you are trying to use the whole world to back you up.
tongue.gif
most people don't expect great sound from a portable setup; just look at 99% of supplied earbuds that come wiith players of all sorts. Sure the ibuds may be ok when you think about that, but thats not expecting too much.
thats why this is so confusing; to me IT IS SELF PUNISHMENT; and i'm not alone.

thats because it draws more people that agree. most people that see that title will just avoid it if they don't agree; unless they were in a stressed out mood and felt like some conflict (like me)
i'm not arguing with what you heard; I just think its weird thats all.
confused_face(1).gif

dont know what this comment is about I havent said anything about IEMs since the silly thread. and actually I'm not sure you can comment on them without trying them. I didn't try YOUR yuins but you are not the only yuin owner out there. they are good for the price but IMO well overrated. IMO KOSS make a better value and scale even more with amplification.

not really the same thing; a cars speed is very tangible; the volume coming out of Ibuds is not; if you are getting such crap isolation that you have to crank it, it appears that it is not loud, but in fact it is..

OK goldenears
biggrin.gif

I said I WOULD THINK that most people here on head-fi would agree. maybe the people on the yuin appreciation thread think they are great. but if you start comparing them to top range cans then IMO you lose credibility. but still enjoy what you have got. just don't try and tell me that I'm getting ripped off; to my ears my IEM's and most top end cans crap on YUIN's but thats just IMO. remember that

peace out

yep you are oops

you too

i'm sorry but qusp why keep misqouting me,

"the fact that you saiud you would prefer the ibuds even to some of the phones at the meet says to me you think they sound pretty darn good. but of course you just think that the denon MD5000 sounds bad
biggrin.gif
"

never said that, i said i prefer my YUINS!
and remember i NEVER said the other earphones were bad,just that i prefer my yuins.

i only said the ibuds were pretty good, not fantastic, but you keep comparing them with headphones! what up? i was trying to talk about the YUINS!!

the car and volume/loudness analogy is pretty much the same as it up to the user to have a bit of control. if it's hurting your ears, turn it down.

and mate i never said you were getting ripped off, what up man? i said you young fellas gotta watch your cash, meaning it can get very expensive for minimal gain if any, and that's not counting lod cables for 100 or 200 bucks.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm sorry but qusp who keep misqouting me,

ok I'll stop quoting you then other than direct quotes top answer questions; thats the impression I got when you said that a lot of the high end earphones were boomy etc but you said that the ibuds were balanced across the whole spectrum; that to me is better don't you think?

Quote:

the car and volume/loudness analogy is pretty much the same as it up to the user to have a bit of control. if it's hurting your ears, turn it down.

yes but it doesn't have to hurt to be doing damage; it doesn't hurt until its too late and the damage is done.

Quote:

and mate i never said you were getting ripped off, what up man? i said you young fellas gotta watch your cash, meaning it can get very expensive for minimal gain if any, and that's not counting lod cables for 100 or 200 bucks.

again drawing conclusions to what you said. in that you said the cans costing $1000 didn't sound as good as your yuins and then telling us to watch our money. and spending $$$ on amps that make the sound worse; wouldn't that be a rip off? sorry if I read wrong and thats not what you meant, but I would certainly consider it a rip off it it were the case for me.

this isn't going to be resolved and we will have to agree to disagree; but i'm not sure of your motives for the original post??? clearly you already had a point of view that wasn't going to be swayed (and i'm not sure whether this point of view may or not have coloured your thoughts on the matter to begin with) maybe you just wanted to 'save' some people from spending money or something?? I dunno??? but i'm certainly not going to enter into a cable debate with someone who doesn't believe that well known and/or expensive headphones are any better than his yuins. you know i'm a cable believer; some people arent and thats cool, but its not something that is worth debating so I avoided the issue. i'm burning in the caps on an expensive capped LOD of my own making right now and to me the time/money is worth it and the qualitative results are tangible. lets just leave this hey because you're not going to budge and neither am I
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #44 of 62
ow. this topic is quite hot. Well, I own both Pk1 and OK1 and I am connecting them to D2 Boa. I must say both is a very decent earbud, However, I cannot say that it being better than my brother's HD 600.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

ok I'll stop quoting you then other than direct quotes top answer questions; thats the impression I got when you said that a lot of the high end earphones were boomy etc but you said that the ibuds were balanced across the whole spectrum; that to me is better don't you think?

yes but it doesn't have to hurt to be doing damage; it doesn't hurt until its too late and the damage is done.

again drawing conclusions to what you said. in that you said the cans costing $1000 didn't sound as good as your yuins and then telling us to watch our money. and spending $$$ on amps that make the sound worse; wouldn't that be a rip off? sorry if I read wrong and thats not what you meant, but I would certainly consider it a rip off it it were the case for me.

this isn't going to be resolved and we will have to agree to disagree; but i'm not sure of your motives for the original post??? clearly you already had a point of view that wasn't going to be swayed (and i'm not sure whether this point of view may or not have coloured your thoughts on the matter to begin with) maybe you just wanted to 'save' some people from spending money or something?? I dunno??? but i'm certainly not going to enter into a cable debate with someone who doesn't believe that well known and/or expensive headphones are any better than his yuins. you know i'm a cable believer; some people arent and thats cool, but its not something that is worth debating so I avoided the issue. i'm burning in the caps on an expensive capped LOD of my own making right now and to me the time/money is worth it and the qualitative results are tangible. lets just leave this hey because you're not going to budge and neither am I
biggrin.gif

can you show me where i said the ibuds are balanced across the whole srectrum? all i ever said is they are not bad. you really have tried to railroad this thread by ibud bashing and misquoting me many times. i'm trying to focus on the yuins and you bring in all this other ibud stuff. STOP MISQUOTING ME!
and show me where i said you all got ripped off? all i said was you gotta watch how you spend your money, that was advice. if you want to spend 1000 and are happy good for you, i'll spend 300 and be happy. i have no doubt there are better headphones out there. i would say if the balanced hd650's got rid of the static and the bass wasn't like a sledghammer with maybe more detail in the high. that would be nice. would i pay for it, each to their own. and thanks to the guy who brought all that stuff in and everyone else. by saying i wouldn't swap doesn't mean you got ripped off! there are some guys who wouldn't swap their grado's or ultrasone for the 1000 dollar phones either. big price doesn't always mean better!

so are you saying if you turn up your headphones full blast you won't get hearing damage? lmao

and some of the amps/headphones were boomy, some had piercing highs, what am i not allowed to say that if i believe so. are you trying to say all were not? many others here say so when they review a product! get real!

i have no problem with you or anyone else disagreeing, just don't misquote!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back