How many of you have tinnitus?
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #181 of 205
I wonder how much of the Loudness War is caused by Threshold Shift in the engineers and musicians (about halfway down)?

Maybe they should take a day off between recording and mastering.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #182 of 205
Many factors would cause tinnitus. One of them could be using headphone. In many cases, I heard, tension or imbalance of the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) is a critical trigger. I'd be interested in how many of you would have your tinnitus reduced or gone away by massaging the SCM.

There are good videos on this. I just picked a nice video of how to gently stretch your SCM. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqn3AWywVoY

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #183 of 205
I can't hear you because of all this ringing in my ears...........    
ph34r.gif

Whoa, that's the front doorbell..........  Whew........!!!!!!!!  
atsmile.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #184 of 205
  Many factors would cause tinnitus. One of them could be using headphone. In many cases, I heard, tension or imbalance of the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) is a critical trigger. I'd be interested in how many of you would have your tinnitus reduced or gone away by massaging the SCM.

There are good videos on this. I just picked a nice video of how to gently stretch your SCM. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqn3AWywVoY

Those stretches really feel good!  Don't know about the effect on tinnitus yet.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #185 of 205
Got mild tinnitus. Years as a drummer with no hearing aid is now biting me in the rear.

Regarding the Threshold Shift. I can certainly attest that mixing music is not done optimally these days. Due to budget constraints, lack of time etc, many times records will be mixed with too much haste. If only we could get back to the 80s/90s where a record was a labour of love and craft, instead of time pressure by the labels :) 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #186 of 205
  Got mild tinnitus. Years as a drummer with no hearing aid is now biting me in the rear.

Regarding the Threshold Shift. I can certainly attest that mixing music is not done optimally these days. Due to budget constraints, lack of time etc, many times records will be mixed with too much haste. If only we could get back to the 80s/90s where a record was a labour of love and craft, instead of time pressure by the labels :) 

I also think that poor mastering has a lot to do with time constraints by studios and a general lack of most people listening to pop music not caring at all about music quality, just a catchy new melody to sing to each week.

Ive had tinnitus for a few years now. I guess I never realized how bad it was until I got a mandatory hearing test by the VA. They did a full hearing test (beyond the whole press a button when you hear a noise) and even though I did extremely well on most of the test I completely failed the part that looked for tinnitus. Mine is very high pitched and almost any background noise is enough to take my attention away from it but if I start noticing it and zone in it drives me nuts.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #187 of 205

I also think that poor mastering has a lot to do with time constraints by studios and a general lack of most people listening to pop music not caring at all about music quality, just a catchy new melody to sing to each week.

Ive had tinnitus for a few years now. I guess I never realized how bad it was until I got a mandatory hearing test by the VA. They did a full hearing test (beyond the whole press a button when you hear a noise) and even though I did extremely well on most of the test I completely failed the part that looked for tinnitus. Mine is very high pitched and almost any background noise is enough to take my attention away from it but if I start noticing it and zone in it drives me nuts.

Mine's like yours.  Don't know how or when I got it, but now  I seem to remember that as a little kid I sometimes couldn't sleep because of the buzzing in my ears that I couldn't take my mind off of.  I wonder if ear infections can cause it?

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #188 of 205
  Mine's like yours.  Don't know how or when I got it, but now  I seem to remember that as a little kid I sometimes couldn't sleep because of the buzzing in my ears that I couldn't take my mind off of.  I wonder if ear infections can cause it?

Otitis media or "ear infections" can, indeed, cause tinnitus in some people and cases.

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #191 of 205
Feb 28, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #192 of 205
I have not been diagnosed officially. I know I have a touch of it because I only hear it if it is very quite or wearing headphones with nothing playing; 95% the latter. It's not loud or annoying. It's just there. If there is any other noise, I don't hear it. It's possible I've learned to tune it out when there is another noise. I assume mine is from years of listening to music at very loud volumes. I'm sure cleaning my ears via Q-tips is another factor.

I know I have hearing loss because when I was 18 thinking about going into military service, during the physical, the otologist told me to give up the Walkman and stop listening to music so loud. There was a guy not long after me, the otologist was chewing him a new one. I remember saying stuff about concerts and hearing protection. It reminded me of grandma, except he wasn't getting wacked in the back of the head, LOL.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #193 of 205
I've had it since October 1987. It's not as noticeable in the morning but gets louder when I'm tired. It seemed loud today and at one point had to look around to see if I had left the water running or if it something other than my ears, but it was.

I saw some Android apps for it recently that, from what I could tell, allow you to find the frequency yours is at. Then it generates a frequency above and below yours and that is supposed to fry an egg, your brain or mask it somehow and bring relief. I didn't try one and have learned to live with mine.

I sincerely hope you find relief if yours troubles you. It worried me at first but I decided early on I wasn't going to let it bother me and it doesn't often.It didn't really bother me today but I had to look around to make sure and then went back to listening to music through my headphones. :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #194 of 205
Many factors would cause tinnitus. One of them could be using headphone. In many cases, I heard, tension or imbalance of the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) is a critical trigger. I'd be interested in how many of you would have your tinnitus reduced or gone away by massaging the SCM.
There is also drug-induced tinnitus.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #195 of 205
I am always paranoid of getting or having some of this already.

Scary thoughts...

Scary....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back