how many of you guys cook???
May 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,351 of 3,876
Man that looks freakin delicious

May 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,352 of 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkumaural /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hers is most definitely transformed by a good simmer in some animal fat.  Wasn't sure if your stock is vegetarian.

no, I confess that my stock isn't vegetarian - it's always based on a whole chicken carcass (since the dog gets whatever bones are left from other animals eaten, occasionally still, around here); just because I have reduced my meat intake doesn't mean I constrain other eaters :wink: 

my frozen stock cubes also benefit from a list of spices and the usual vegetable suspects - carrots, celery, onion, etc (better still: roasted onions left from another dish) - that way, there are more spices in the dish than the recipe indicates. as for animal fat, I'm not above sneaking some into various recipes, especially soups that don't look it - once or twice a year I'll make a goose, and keep goose fat in the freezer for quite a while after that, for instance, if it's rendered and filtered properly, it's a pure as butter!

May 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,358 of 3,876

Okay. I done this many times and love its outcome.
This is pork shoulder (pork butt) cooked low and slow in wine, spices, celery, pepper corns, and what have you, all in a clay pot for 5 hours.

May 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #1,360 of 3,876
Quote:

Okay. I done this many times and love its outcome.
This is pork shoulder (pork butt) cooked low and slow in wine, spices, celery, pepper corns, and what have you, all in a clay pot for 5 hours.

What kind of wine do you use? I wish I could sample what that taste like. Kind of reminds me of Hawaiian Kalua Pig slow cooked in the oven or fire pit. Interesting combination though, never thought to mix wine with pork.

May 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,361 of 3,876

Quote:
Did a little mapo tofu yesterday.

Looks great, yea a little anemic but it still looks wonderful!
Quote:
Beets, beet greens, and chard.

:O *mouth waters* just add some mustard Greens and some Brown rice and some Salmon for a SUPER tasty healthy meal!

Baked a cake a few months ago

AGain I need a camera

May 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,362 of 3,876
Quote:

What kind of wine do you use? I wish I could sample what that taste like. Kind of reminds me of Hawaiian Kalua Pig slow cooked in the oven or fire pit. Interesting combination though, never thought to mix wine with pork.

Very akamai, u! That is exactly what it is--Hawaiian Kalua Pig. I'm a Hilo boy. Anyway. I kinda mixed up recipes for this one. One half Hawaiian and one half Mexican.

I rubbed the pork in kosher salt and Trader Joe's 21 Seasonings Salute and placed it over a bed of sliced onions. I then poured about 1/3 cup each of water and Sauvignon Blanc wine, and then a tablespoon of cider vinegar and a 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke. And black pepper, pepper, pepper. And celery sticks. Placed it in a clay baker. Covered it and basted it with its liquids every hour or so. Ono!

May 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,364 of 3,876
Quote:

Very akamai, u! That is exactly what it is--Hawaiian Kalua Pig. I'm a Hilo boy. Anyway. I kinda mixed up recipes for this one. One half Hawaiian and one half Mexican.

I rubbed the pork in kosher salt and Trader Joe's 21 Seasonings Salute and placed it over a bed of sliced onions. I then poured about 1/3 cup each of water and Sauvignon Blanc wine, and then a tablespoon of cider vinegar and a 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke. And black pepper, pepper, pepper. And celery sticks. Placed it in a clay baker. Covered it and basted it with its liquids every hour or so. Ono!

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back