how many of you guys cook???
May 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,367 of 3,876
Quote:
La zi ji and a cold pint - an annual Monaco race weekend indulgence.

Alright, I'm booking the next plane to "where ever you are" and hopefully you'll invite me over for dinner. Your meal looks absolutely "hot and sassy!"

I'm a-sweating jus' lookin' at yer photos! Yummy!

May 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,369 of 3,876
C'mon over! I love sharing this with people who haven't yet had the pleasure.

La zi ji is my favourite dish, bar none. It is essentially fried chicken pieces buried inside a mountain of chilies and Sichuan peppercorns. There is a term málà which means numbing & spicy - and perfectly describes this dish. I find it highly addictive.

a pile of chicken wings - chopped into 1" pieces - bones, skin, and all
4 chicken thighs cut into bite sized chunks
3 big dollops of mashed ginger
3 big dollops of mashed garlic
handful of finely chopper green onions
few splashes of Chinese cooking wine ( I didn't have any so I mixed a bit of Johnnie walker with rice vinegar - works just as well)
sprinkling of salt

Marinate for 3 hours or more.

Drain off as much liquid as you can to prevent the oil from boiling over. Deep fry the chicken in small batches until very crispy in hot oil - to your preference, however this dish is best done with very crispy (almost jerky). Drain well and set aside.

handful of sliced garlic (not minced - if the pieces are too small they will burn before cooking is done)
handful of sliced fresh ginger
massive pile of dried red chili peppers - cut in half (remove seeds - they are bitter)
big ass handful of Sichuan peppercorns - remove any hard black seeds, only use the husks

Fry chopped garlic & ginger in a few tablespoons of med-hot peanut oil (don't use olive oil or vegetable oil) for a few minutes until it starts to darken slightly in colour - DON'T overcook.
Throw in chilies and peppercorns. Fry for another 30 seconds - 1 minute until the oil is noticeably fragrant. Keep moving and DON'T overcook. If you burn the garlic or chilies you will ruin the flavour. If your overcook the Sichuan peppercorn you will kill the best thing about the dish. It helps to have a small amount of hot oil in a ramekin that you can add to the pan as needed as the ingredients start to soak up the oil.

You can add a dollop of spicy bean paste and let it fry up for a minute if you want - but I like it better without.

handful of Spanish peanuts
handful of chopped green onions - 1" lengths ( I like to cut them on the diagonal)

Throw in the fried chicken, the peanuts and green onions. Keep the mixture moving so nothing burns and heat it till everything is hot and well coated with flavour. Then remove from heat and sprinkle a tiny bit of sesame oil, mixing it in (did I mention how healthy this dish is?).

Use a pair of chopsticks to hunt through the huge pile of chilies for pieces of chicken, peanuts and green onion. If this is your first experience with Sichuan peppercorns be prepared - they aren't fiery hot but they are unlike anything you've tried before.
Wash it down with a cold pint of your favourite brew. Heaven!

Finish off with some watermelon. Make sure to have another pint in the fridge as you'll probably be nibbling again in a short while :) .

The key things are:

- use chicken parts with bones and skin (wings are good for this) because this adds flavour. Thigh meat absorbs and retains flavour at high temperature far better than breast meat.
- use peanut oil - it is able to absorb the garlic/ginger/spices flavour and retain it at higher temperature than olive/vegetable oil which breaks down at a lower temperature
- you really can't have too many chilies or peppercorns - you can easily have too few.
- don't burn garlic or chilies - a bitter nasty flavour will overwhelm the entire dish. Don't burn the peppercorns as it will kill their effect.
- make sure your peppercorns haven't gone stale sitting on a store shelf
- don't add sesame oil to a hot pan as it will destroy the sesame flavour
- it's just as good the next day - the flavours have more time to permeate the entire dish.
- *** have everything chopped and ready to throw in before you touch the stove ON button. Everything happens quickly and you can't leave the pan unattended.
- apologies, I have never used accurate measurements when I cook (and as I result I'm the world's worst baker).

May 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,370 of 3,876
eek.gif

And, yay F1 and pints!  
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,371 of 3,876
Pretty soon I'll be posting more pictures because I'm buying my first house!  Instead of a 30 year old Hotpoint electric stove, I'll be using a brand new gas range!  Instead of 18"x18" of counter space, I'll have a real kitchen plus an outdoor grill.  I'm closing in 2 months, so I'll try to think of some elaborate dishes between now and then.

May 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,372 of 3,876
Hi TheAudioDude! Congratulations on the purchase of your new home. Then you've got to send picutres of your kitchen too.

By the way, how's your finger doing? :wink: It's got to have healed up by now to be able to do some fun cooking, yes?

May 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,375 of 3,876
Quote:
few splashes of Chinese cooking wine ( I didn't have any so I mixed a bit of Johnnie walker with rice vinegar - works just as well)

I usually have cooking wine in my possession... but I feel like I must try Johnny Walker and rice vinegar.  And maybe cook with it too.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #1,377 of 3,876
Great stuff Pudu, if I was still eating meat I would be down with that chicken recipe for sure, and I already have kimchi made for the burgers!

Tonight was fresh veggies with homemade beans, sundried tomatoes and whole olives over mixed pasta.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #1,378 of 3,876
...Tonight was fresh veggies with homemade beans, sundried tomatoes and whole olives over mixed pasta.

Yum, looks great!

I wish I could use beans more, but my better half won't eat them. It wasn't until I took her to a beautiful olive stand in Barcelona's Boqueria market (love that place) that she would consider olives - now of course she loves good olives. :D

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,379 of 3,876
Quote:
hehe
biggrin.gif

Mini burgers in Bull Head sauce on a bed of fried onions topped with kimchi

Apologies for the lousy photography.

Pudu! You should operate a food truck! I know I queue up to buy your fixin's! Yummmmmmmmmmmmumumumumum.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,380 of 3,876
:D hehe

Thanks!

Actually when we moved back to the US from KL I desperately wanted to bring our good friend with and open a roti canai stand in Seattle.

While we are on the topic of recipes, I was browsing back through and I would love the miso chowder :tongue_smile: , if it's not too much trouble. I'm a big fan of soups, especially fish based ones. Whenever we go traveling I go in search of the world's best bouillabaisse - love that stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back