how many of you guys cook???
Feb 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,306 of 3,876
Here's some baked ziti (I made the sauce today) and garlic bread:

This was my first time making garlic bread.  Next time I'll have to bake my own bread, though.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,307 of 3,876
I made Shepherds Pie yesterday for dinner. I wanted to get some stout in the meat mix, so I made a stout reduction, with bayleaf, fresh thyme, black peppercorns and some sliced carrots. Turned out awesome.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,308 of 3,876
That sounds awesome, beerguy0.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #1,309 of 3,876
I can make instant noodles
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,311 of 3,876
Winging it as usual, tossed some ravioli with sun-dried tomatoes etc. over a bed of lightly stir-fried cabbage this time.

Meat-free for about a month and a half now
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #1,312 of 3,876

Quote:
Meat-free for about a month and a half now
beerchug.gif

good going, not easy to do. I've been going without coffee & alcohol for almost year now, and without meat most weeks, although I still have fish or meat a few times a month.

last night: slow-cooked steelhead trout with pearled barley and a salad of rocket, pear, and shaved parmesan (pic blurry, I'll spare you)

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,313 of 3,876

Quote:

good going, not easy to do. I've been going without coffee & alcohol for almost year now, and without meat most weeks, although I still have fish or meat a few times a month.

last night: slow-cooked steelhead trout with pearled barley and a salad of rocket, pear, and shaved parmesan (pic blurry, I'll spare you)

Yum.

I really should reduce my coffee, alcohol, and meat consumption.  If I could do that, I'd be happy to not cut them out completely.  At this rate though I'm probably headed for cold turkey.

Mmmm... cold turkey.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,314 of 3,876

Quote:
Mmmm... cold turkey.

:wink:

but actually, of all meats, that is the one I never liked and thus don't miss. for the holidaze, I'd routinely substitute goose - when I lived in the north, brining a big bird was easier, just put it out on the back porch in a cooler filled with salt water... here in so-cal I've had to commandeer an unreasonable portion of the fridge to do so. that said, limiting meat in your overall mix is not as hard, IMHO, despite peer pressure etc, as quitting coffee/alcohol: because they are, quite clearly (he says after decades of partaking lustily) drugs, and you'll go through the classic withdrawal symptoms. mine were more awful than turkey, cold or warm... but it's worth reducing any intake of the jitters and downers - for all sorts of reasons, in terms of your overall system balance.

and that's how an audiophile would put it, right? system balance, or maximizing the synergy between your source, preamp, cabling, amp, speakers/phones... the source is perhaps most important: an imbalanced diet cannot measure up to what's available fresh and in full glory - quality control! minimize processing: the less you transcode your input on the way to your transducers, the more fidelity you can expect. extract everything that's available: whether you're picking a cartridge or a DAC, you don't want to lose any of those vital proteins, vitamins, and fibers on your recording. amplify properly... alright, I'll stop here with the single entendres.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,316 of 3,876
I still consume (black) coffee, eggs and dairy but not fish/seafood. Even though I sometimes miss the taste of animal flesh I feel better without eating any of it, both physically and mentally/spiritually. I've cut way back on simple carbs/sugars as well.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,317 of 3,876

Quote:
but actually, of all meats, that is the one I never liked and thus don't miss. for the holidaze, I'd routinely substitute goose

Same here. I will always choose to make a goose, rather than a turkey. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #1,318 of 3,876
James Beard has a great recipe for roasted goose, and it's real simple. It's a fatty bird, so what he recommends is to smash up a bunch of garlic cloves (don't even need to peel them), put them in cheesecloth (or in my case an odd clean tube sock
tongue.gif
), and stuff it in the roasting cavity loosely snug, then roast the stuffed goose as usual. The garlic soaks up the excess fat, and the goose is flavored with roasted garlic. You could add a rosemary sprig or three for a bonus but it's not in the recipe, just a little s&p and I think some butter inside and out.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,319 of 3,876

Baked pasta this time: Garlic-infused spaghetti verdura, topped with a home-made spicy bean medley and a variety of cheeses.

Who said vegetarian had to be boring?

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,320 of 3,876
I'm not sure that most of what I make can truly be called "cooking".  Back in college I had one recipe that was insanely popular with my roommates and fairly tasty though the ingredients always made me wonder how it could actually be decent.  Get a large jar or two of the thick and chunky Ragu, chop up two onions and a couple cloves of garlic.  Throw the onions and garlic in the pot till the onions start to get translucent (sometimes added peppers too).  Add ground beef and cook till done.  Meantime in another pan cook Johnsonville brown sugar breakfast sausage (whole pack).  Cut the sausage into 1/2" pieces when done, add to beef/onions.  Add Ragu to the meat/onions and cook on low for awhile.  Cook up some pasta and add the meat sauce on top.  It's not very healthy but it's dirt cheap for the amount of food it makes and surprisingly tasty considering it uses Ragu as a base.

Quote:
Yum.

I really should reduce my coffee, alcohol, and meat consumption.  If I could do that, I'd be happy to not cut them out completely.  At this rate though I'm probably headed for cold turkey.

Mmmm... cold turkey.

I think I'd die before I willingly cut out all three of those.  I like them far too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back