how many of you guys cook???
Feb 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,291 of 3,876
What is TheAudioDude baking today?

Here's a hint: it has chocolate in the name, and has coconut between layers.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,292 of 3,876
chocolate coconut layer cake. :wink:

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,295 of 3,876
Quote:
German Chocolate Cake?

Bingo!  It's actually German's Chocolate Cake (it originated from an American named Sam German).  It's 4 layers and the recipe is here:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2005/09/german-chocolat-1/

Anyways...

This was my very first time icing a cake (and the only suitable tool I had was a rubber spatula), or for that matter baking a cake, so please excuse the sloppiness.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,296 of 3,876
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,297 of 3,876
For Valentine's Day, because I knew my wife would have a long work day, I shrugged off a bunch of responsibilities to make her something to eat that's nicer than usual.  Coconut milk rice and seared salmon fillets (not rare inside, sadly... freaks her out sometimes) drizzled with homemade teriyaki sauce. We ran out of fresh vegetables; otherwise I think some roasted yellow squash would have been nice on the plate.

Also made some rice krispie treats with mini chocolate chips melted into it, and made sure some marshmallows didn't melt completely.  Spread most of it into a pan, but reserved some to make a rather large (like bigger than actual size) heart.  For this holiday we don't get each other gifts or go someplace nice that the kids can destroy, so this was hopefully a nice little dinner for her.  Usually I don't really cook beyond heating something in a pan and sliding it onto everyone's plates.  My wife knows I can cook when I have some spark in me.

I have pictures, they're over there.  I'm tired.

Tonight was pork chops baked with a little salt and garlic powder, served with steamed rice and a quick sautee of sliced crimini mushrooms in butter, honey, mustard, and a splash of apple cider vinegar to pre-thin it so I could cook it longer before it begins to get sticky.  No pictures of that; they simply didn't make it.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,298 of 3,876

Quote:
For Valentine's Day, because I knew my wife would have a long work day, I shrugged off a bunch of responsibilities to make her something to eat that's nicer than usual.  Coconut milk rice and seared salmon fillets (not rare inside, sadly... freaks her out sometimes) drizzled with homemade teriyaki sauce. We ran out of fresh vegetables; otherwise I think some roasted yellow squash would have been nice on the plate.

Also made some rice krispie treats with mini chocolate chips melted into it, and made sure some marshmallows didn't melt completely.  Spread most of it into a pan, but reserved some to make a rather large (like bigger than actual size) heart.  For this holiday we don't get each other gifts or go someplace nice that the kids can destroy, so this was hopefully a nice little dinner for her.  Usually I don't really cook beyond heating something in a pan and sliding it onto everyone's plates.  My wife knows I can cook when I have some spark in me.

I have pictures, they're over there.  I'm tired.

Tonight was pork chops baked with a little salt and garlic powder, served with steamed rice and a quick sautee of sliced crimini mushrooms in butter, honey, mustard, and a splash of apple cider vinegar to pre-thin it so I could cook it longer before it begins to get sticky.  No pictures of that; they simply didn't make it.

Wow, can I come over and eat at your place?
tongue.gif
  Your wife is one lucky lady.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #1,301 of 3,876
I made a great dinner last night. We had pan seared turkey cutlets, with a sage cream pan sauce. For a side dish, I made sweet potato hash, with pancetta, sage, and onions. (My wife really likes sweet potatos - the hash was her idea, the pancetta and sage was my idea.) Nice glass of white wine, a small salad...awesome dinner. Had some of the leftover hash this morning with a couple eggs, over easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back