how many of you guys cook???
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #3,466 of 3,876
Quote:

I just bought a huge jar of kimchi yesterday - they were out of the smaller size. I was going to try to figure out a way of sneaking it into some food that the family would eat. Now I remember that there is no way to 'sneak' anything about kimchi.
rolleyes.gif
So now it's all on me.

Buy a wok (or a saute pan if you use electric), and use the kimchi in a stir fry in place of the fresh veggies. Try it first with relatively tough beef cuts that need to be marinated in something acidic, that way the kimchi won't stick out in the flavor profile too much. Also, for the acid, use a sweet acidic fruit like orange, since that works better for kids.

For example, you can marinade cheap hanger steak (that obviously, unlike hanger from good cattle, will still be too tough even if you sear it medium rare) or sirloin in freshly squeezed orange (include the rind and pulp), orange soda or packed orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, and Worcestershire. Cut beef into still large but otherwise easy to stir-fry strips along with the kimchi, caramelize onions and garlic, add beef, then about a minute before it's done toss in the kimchi. Season with pepper and salt to taste.

Quote:

I made cumin lamb tonight. I knew my son wouldn't even look at it, but figured everyone else would be on board. What's not to like about lamb?
(I mean, apart from the whole slaughtering Shaun the Sheep imagery thing.)

I never thought of lamb as anything but food because, one, we don't drink its milk, and two, when I was a child, every Sunday I get to listen to a guy say "this is the lamb...(can't say this part on Head-Fi)...happy are we who are called into his supper *bells" and everyone eats a piece of paper. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there to get grilled lamb chops with a side of sweet corn.

Even with animals we get milk (if at least for cheese) from people are shocked that I see them as nothing but food. People around the suburbs (or slums) in the metro here actually have goats still, and I always go, "dude there's our beer chow! go get it!" To be perfectly honest, cats and dogs would probably think the same about that goat if I wasn't around to show them that food can come out of a sack or a can (or my oven). Basically, if we ever have to buy out, they're trained just well enough to not eat my milk source (could be our milk source, but that depends on their lactose tolerance).

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #3,467 of 3,876

Aforementioned Xmas meal. Pork belly, marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, a little brown sugar. Honey glazed and mushrooms added at the end. I think the shrimps were just cooked in hot oil with salt, pepper and garlic + white wine. Pak choi, the usual, fried in oil with garlic, + soy sauce, and steamed in the pan with a little water. White rice with whole grains and black beans added.

Everything washed down with barley tea.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,468 of 3,876
I'm not sure you can hide the taste of kimchi entirely... but good luck to you :)

Another quick and easy meal is to fry cooked rice with kimchi on a frying pan. I add a can of tuna in there as well. In another pan fry two beaten eggs and once cooked serve it on top of the kimchi fried rice. You now have kimchi omel-rice. Generous squirt of ketchup on top of the egg is an option should your tastes run that way...

------------

Guys I have an issue with your sandwiches.. They look amazing and I'm sure they taste as good as they look. But personally I would still be hungry with two half slices... My base portion is 4 slices of bread, that is, 4 half slices.. then I have sides like sliced carrots, bell pepper, and celery with a dip.

What are you having as accompaniment? Or are you leaving the other slices out of the photo for a more artistic framing?

-----------

I was in Shanghai over xmas, and although I got to try xia long bao, I didn't get to eat any pork belly. I did have braised pork belly in huangshan which was deliciously oily and decadent. Cooked in earthenware with plums. I generally don't enjoy sweetness with meats, but this was not the case at all with this dish. In fact it was only after I finished the meat that I realised there were plums at the bottom.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3,469 of 3,876

Guys I have an issue with your sandwiches.. They look amazing and I'm sure they taste as good as they look. But personally I would still be hungry with two half slices... My base portion is 4 slices of bread, that is, 4 half slices.. then I have sides like sliced carrots, bell pepper, and celery with a dip.

What are you having as accompaniment? Or are you leaving the other slices out of the photo for a more artistic framing?

I can't speak for the others but in my case, look at the example below - when we ate it at the restaurant it was huge. Somewhere around 7in X 6in, then sliced in the middle, and the fillings were thick. When I took the photo, despite the background blur, the 28mm converter on my X100 makes the DOF deeper in the sense that the Tabasco looks like it's farther away than that it actually is just dwarfed by the sandwich. 

Basically, I'm guessing that in some cases they either made more than one sandwich, or the camera is affecting perception of size. Or, heck, both. I mean, I'm basically a two burger kind of guy myself.

I actually regret not buying two of these - it was around $3. It looks disgusting and greasy (more like sloppy - they don't need the sauce actually, I can taste the chargrilled burgers even with all that gunk) but when I'm tired I don't really care.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,470 of 3,876
  I was in Shanghai over xmas, and although I got to try xia long bao, I didn't get to eat any pork belly. I did have braised pork belly in huangshan which was deliciously oily and decadent. Cooked in earthenware with plums. I generally don't enjoy sweetness with meats, but this was not the case at all with this dish. In fact it was only after I finished the meat that I realised there were plums at the bottom.

When it comes to sweetness with meat, lamb with honey and rosemary is a traditional Welsh flavour combination, and it works beautifully in the right proportions. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #3,471 of 3,876
You're right, it could be the camera.
Also I apologise for my wording. I read it after posting, and it comes across rather flippant. I could have been more articulate. I don't really have an issue with anything... It was more curiosity. Sometimes with food my stomach speaks before my brain. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #3,472 of 3,876
  When it comes to sweetness with meat, lamb with honey and rosemary is a traditional Welsh flavour combination, and it works beautifully in the right proportions. 

Actually yeah honey is rather awesome with meats.. I generally use it as a glaze. I do use it sparingly though.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not a fan of maple syrup and bacon or fried chicken... I remain unsure about using fruits with meats too e.g. pork and apple... or pineapple... I like those ingredients on their own though.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #3,473 of 3,876
Thanks for the kimchi omel-rice idea, sounds awesome. I will definitely give it a go this week.

As for sandwich size ... um I guess I'm not a huge eater. The katsu sando was two full size pieces of bread, but with the cutlet, cabbage, side of fries and garlic sauteed spinach, I was bursting. I can't handle almost any of the US restaurant serving sizes and actually rarely eat out, partly because if I can't find someone to share with it ends up a huge waste. But don't worry, you didn't come across as flippant. Gluttonous yes, but not flippant. :D

Clayton - mine doesn't have a pressure cooker function as far as I know (I have a big @ss Kuhn Rikon 'hotel' pressure cooker so I haven't looked into it, but I'm quite sure it does not have the ability). I haven't tried cooking bread, or congee, or Tiger's Tacook thing which allows you to cook rice on the bottom and another meal on the top yet either. Sorry.

haha - I wrote glutinous when I meant gluttonous. Must have been a Freudian bread slip. :p

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,474 of 3,876
<...>

haha - I wrote glutinous when I meant meant gluttonous. Must have been a Freudian bread slip.
tongue.gif

I read it the first time and didn't catch the error either. Haha!

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3,476 of 3,876
biggrin.gif

And even that's incorrect. Glutinous vs glutenous. So maybe it was a Freudian rice slip?
confused_face_2.gif

Or more likely, my spelling is as rubbish as my typing.
ph34r.gif

Such giddiness are these glutinous gluttonous glutenous slips.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,479 of 3,876
<munch munch>

Quick Hamwich™

Cucumber on the bottom, green onion on top. Some sriracha roasted garlic bbq SAWSE too.

Sandwiches! Yar!

I love cucumbers in sandwiches! Which sriracha do you use? There are many out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back