how many of you guys cook???
Feb 9, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,451 of 3,876
I have some beef brisket and onions on the go. I actually cooked it yesterday, but saved it for reheating and serving today.

Later this week, I will be making my first attempt at Shanghai-style red braised pork belly.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3,452 of 3,876

Katsu sando, the Japanese version of a schnitzel sandwich. I cheated and used slightly healthier bread.
ph34r.gif

Looking at that picture making me hungry ,I could eat two plates off that right now looks yummy .
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,453 of 3,876
On the menu for tonight I'll be making Chicken and Penne Alfredo and a side salad with a lemon raspberry vinaigrette.
Can't wait, I'm starved.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3,454 of 3,876
Way, way at the bottom of the learning curve, I made xiao long bao - soup dumplings - tonight.

The soup filling is easy and super delicious , but forming the little buggers so they look nice requires someone with far more skill and experience than I have. Happily, that means I will have to practice, a lot, and eat all of my mistakes along the way. :tongue_smile:

I find the d(r)ipping sauce of black vinegar, soy, and chili oil to be totally irresistible.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #3,455 of 3,876
Man, that looks amazing. What did you fill them with, pork or chicken?

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #3,458 of 3,876
Man, that looks amazing. What did you fill them with, pork or chicken?

Thanks. Both, actually.

Chicken wings and pork belly in a pressure cooker, followed by a few hours simmering with added garlic and ginger to make the 'soup'. That then goes into the refrigerator to cool and becomes a firm jelly. Then I mixed it with minced pork and green onion. This way you can make the dumplings with a gooey filling but when you steam them, the jelly becomes liquid again and your dumplings are little pockets of soup that explode with flavour when you carefully bite into them.

When the soup cools, there is a thick layer of yellow fat on the top that you can just scoop off. It wouldn't easily mix into the jelly - pork mixture, even if you wanted to include it. But there was plenty of fat in the minced pork - I opted for a higher fat content pork for precisely that reason - richer, more flavourful mouthfuls.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #3,459 of 3,876
Thanks. Both, actually.

Chicken wings and pork belly in a pressure cooker, followed by a few hours simmering with added garlic and ginger to make the 'soup'. That then goes into the refrigerator to cool and becomes a firm jelly. Then I mixed it with minced pork and green onion. This way you can make the dumplings with a gooey filling but when you steam them, the jelly becomes liquid again and your dumplings are little pockets of soup that explode with flavour when you carefully bite into them.

When the soup cools, there is a thick layer of yellow fat on the top that you can just scoop off. It wouldn't easily mix into the jelly - pork mixture, even if you wanted to include it. But there was plenty of fat in the minced pork - I opted for a higher fat content pork for precisely that reason - richer, more flavourful mouthfuls.

Damn now I'm hungry 
k701smile.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #3,461 of 3,876
Thanks. Both, actually.

That sounds so good, it's almost naughty.
I am definitely going to try this this weekend. I have all the ingredients, just have to put it together. I'm also going to make a deconstructed California roll, sushi salad. My wife is afraid to try Sushi but she will try just about any Asian style rice dishes I make. So I am going to make sushi rice, add julienned carrots, cucumbers, & nori, dice scallions and chunk avocado. Add smoked salmon and lightly dress it with a combination of Ponzu & Wasabi. She will at least try this and then I will tell her it is essentially a California roll. I'm pretty sure she will like it. If not, oh well, more for me!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,462 of 3,876
Quote:

I would have guessed that the Tet Offensive would carry you all the way through the winter.
biggrin.gif

Still eating a jar of kimchi for dinner - I've been partying nearly every other weekend since Nov 28 last year (mostly reunions but obviously they happen around the holidays). Not that I'm done with steak, or that I really want to be healthy and such, but right now as much as an NY strip looks delicious, I'm quite sure I'm not gonna be able to finish it 
tongue.gif
 It's like the eating version of having to nurse  your body after a gruelling work out, except this one is a two-month deca-meat-thlon of the best parts of beef (porterhouse and ribeye, plus brisket) and pork (belly and deep-fried foreleg).

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,463 of 3,876
Porktathlon? Decathlmeat? Olympigs!

I just bought a huge jar of kimchi yesterday - they were out of the smaller size. I was going to try to figure out a way of sneaking it into some food that the family would eat. Now I remember that there is no way to 'sneak' anything about kimchi. :rolleyes: So now it's all on me.

Making kimchi is one of the things I wish I could do well. I had some close Korean friends in India who would give me jars of fresh made kimchi and it is soooooooo much better than store bought. They all had a separate refrigerator just for storing kimchi ... and beer. :beerchug:

The other thing you really need to make kimchi well is ... someone else's kitchen. :D

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,464 of 3,876
I made cumin lamb tonight. I knew my son wouldn't even look at it, but figured everyone else would be on board. What's not to like about lamb?
(I mean, apart from the whole slaughtering Shaun the Sheep imagery thing.)

Once my daughter saw her brother was having naan pizza, she demanded the same.

And my wife looked at me and said "I don't really like cumin. It's too strong."

:mad:

Anyone wanna swap families? Or just take mine? I'll even throw in some boxes of goldfish crackers and bottles of ketchup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back