how many of you guys cook???
Feb 11, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,481 of 3,876
Porktathlon? Decathlmeat? Olympigs!

I just bought a huge jar of kimchi yesterday - they were out of the smaller size. I was going to try to figure out a way of sneaking it into some food that the family would eat. Now I remember that there is no way to 'sneak' anything about kimchi.
rolleyes.gif
So now it's all on me.

Making kimchi is one of the things I wish I could do well. I had some close Korean friends in India who would give me jars of fresh made kimchi and it is soooooooo much better than store bought. They all had a separate refrigerator just for storing kimchi ... and beer.
beerchug.gif

The other thing you really need to make kimchi well is ... someone else's kitchen.
biggrin.gif

One way I tried to sneak kimchi was to use it to make kimchi fried rice or korean pancakes; try it if you're interested...

Not the healthiest way to eat kimchi but I try to mix a good portion of kimchi/vegetables vs. rice/flour

for kimchi fried rice usually i use:
2 stalks of scallions
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of kimchi (diced)
2-3 cups of rice (brown rice would work too!)
squid tentacles
optional - bacon (2-3 pieces)
dash of sesame oil

as for pancakes:
2-3 stalks of scallions
2-3 cups of kimchi
2 cups of flour (mixed if you prefer)
2 tbsp of fish sauce

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #3,482 of 3,876
That sounds like an excellent idea. I was going to make okonomiyaki last weekend and then no one else wanted it, so maybe I'll just make chijimi this weekend instead - I think I even have chijimi flour in the cupboard. Or is it kimuchijon if I use kimchi?
I just have to grab some squid.

Thanks for the recipe. Love this thread!

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #3,483 of 3,876
That sounds like an excellent idea. I was going to make okonomiyaki last weekend and then no one else wanted it, so maybe I'll just make chijimi this weekend instead - I think I even have chijimi flour in the cupboard. Or is it kimuchijon if I use kimchi?
I just have to grab some squid.

Thanks for the recipe. Love this thread!

good to know it helps...

there's a site that i frequent for korean recipes: http://www.maangchi.com/

usually i look at that site to get my recipe ideas and tweak it from there according to my household's taste :D

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #3,489 of 3,876
  Any pictures :p care to share the recipe :D?

This is the recipe I used as a starting point - http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/04/shanghai-style-braised-pork-belly/ - although I did make some changes.

I made it in a saucepan, as I don't have a wok. It also meant I had less to wash up! I added 1 star anise to the mix, as well as three coin-thick slices of root ginger. 

Other additions suggested in recipes I looked at include a piece of cassia bark or cinnamon, using chicken stock instead of plain water and adding spring onions/scallions to the mix.

Whatever the variations, it is very easy to make. If you like a bit more spice, here's a Szechuan-style version: http://keviniscooking.com/hong-shao-rou-szechuan-red-braised-pork-belly/

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3,491 of 3,876
This might be going off on a tangent, but have you guys tried roasted beetroot (shredded) and strong blue cheese? You blend together and then use as a flan filling, it has many earthy flavours and is good either hot or cold with a baked potato, or as with pasta.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #3,492 of 3,876
@parbaked's Hainan Chicken.

I had a couple of chicken thighs and didn't know what to do with them. parbaked came to the rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back