how many of you guys cook???
Apr 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,022 of 3,876
Last couple of dishes, healthy and yum... Congrats old Pa, get rid of carbs = get rid of pounds!

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #1,023 of 3,876

Quote:
Last couple of dishes, healthy and yum... Congrats old Pa, get rid of carbs = get rid of pounds!

hehe, indeed, and alcohol. Your meat looks fine as usual Pa.

That Chicken Tikka looks tasty, yum. I know a lot about Bollywood, as my wife is a Hindustani. Can't say I like the movies, but I don't like musicals in general. Her watching Bollywood movies was a good reason for closed cans
wink_face.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,024 of 3,876
Quote:
Congrats old Pa, get rid of carbs = get rid of pounds!

yup - the most I ever shed was when (not for weight loss but other health reasons) I cut out both carbs and alcohol. I was advised to avoid everything and anything that has sugar or can turn into sugar, which means no rice or pasta or bread, no alcohol, no vinegar, and avoid even a lot of fruit... it pretty much only left meat and vegetables. while that's no problem for lunch or dinner, breakfast became an issue: no bread, no cereal, no fruit? I cannot have more than a few eggs a week, so often breakfast ended up just a mug of coffee, until I dropped that in favor of tea. one insight: you can have amazingly effective "snacks" between meals, like a big spoon of olive oil (or walnut or other such oils) - you'll feel sated for quite a while. but nothing can quite make up for the energy you get from pasta or bread, in my opinion: happy foods!

of course, once I was rid of the exotic bug in my digestive system, I wanted to re-introduce adult beverages, and soon I was back to the old regime :wink:

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,025 of 3,876
I find pasta and bread to be satisfying in a "stick to your gut" kind of way but I feel that it actually saps my energy, perhaps because foods like that tend to slow down my metabolism. Fruit can be great for any diet if eaten it on an empty stomach, but if you eat it for dessert it has a tendency to sit and ferment because it has nowhere to go. This is not a good thing for obvious reasons.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,026 of 3,876

This is a curious, and I believe uniquely American concoction: the baked stuffed potato. A baked potato, cut up, with S&P, butter/margarine, and, in this case, crumbled bacon, steamed broccoli, crumbled feta cheese, sour (non-fat) cream, and Tabasco Chipotle hot sauce. It is seasoned "zippy", which is flavorful and the skin on my skull sweats. Glass of cab. I'm down 5 1/2# in April.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,027 of 3,876
that sounds (and looks) very tasty

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #1,028 of 3,876
Made a South African bobotie tonight, didn't make pics because the camera's battery had to be charged, but it tasted great

Sorry, pics next time again

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,029 of 3,876
Found a kilogram of fresh morels at a reasonable price today.
tongue_smile.gif

They'll be perfect to make a chicken with some wine of Jura (Arbois to start the sauce, "Vin Jaune" to finish it). Pictures tomorrow if all goes well.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,031 of 3,876

Quote:
I made tilapia in an orange juice/maple syrup sauce. It tasted impressively good. Damn frozen fish. 

yes, I like using citrus juices, they also help cure/cook in addition to providing their flavor. yesterday I made a slow pork roast with gastrique (i.e. a sauce made with half lemon/lime/orange juice, half wine vinegar or sherry vinegar, poured onto a pan of half a cup of caramelized sugar and a spoon of cracked black pepper), today I'm planning a similarly citrusy braised dish with shortribs (and vegetables in the pot too), of course no sugar on the beef this time, but it works for pork. adapted from"simple to spectacular" by vongerichten, still one of my favorite cookbooks.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,032 of 3,876

yes, I like using citrus juices, they also help cure/cook in addition to providing their flavor. yesterday I made a slow pork roast with gastrique (i.e. a sauce made with half lemon/lime/orange juice, half wine vinegar or sherry vinegar, poured onto a pan of half a cup of caramelized sugar and a spoon of cracked black pepper), today I'm planning a similarly citrusy braised dish with shortribs (and vegetables in the pot too), of course no sugar on the beef this time, but it works for pork. adapted from"simple to spectacular" by vongerichten, still one of my favorite cookbooks.

With the pork roast, did you brown it first?

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #1,033 of 3,876

Quote:
Quote:

With the pork roast, did you brown it first?

... but of course. :) it's a tried and true method that gets results, which is why most good recipes tend to recommend it (in this case, one by Jean-Georges Vongerichten). I used a mix of butter and canola oil to brown it on all sides.

same thing with the short ribs. I made too much today, and in fact had to go out to buy a second cocotte because my one good oven-proof casserole didn't have enough room for it all... so now I have two versions in the oven, 45 minutes apart, one heavier on the herbs, one with more liquid. should call it a race, or a bake-off?

May 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #1,034 of 3,876
onigiri! 

some spicy tuna, some kimchi (I suppose the latter ought to be called gimbap, since it is a Korean filling :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back