how many of you guys cook???
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #961 of 3,876

Quote:
wow, that's reduction... I like keeping stock in the freezer, and make some every time a duck or chicken comes through, and sometimes even just based on vegetables that aren't going to be eaten - toss them into a pot with or without some bones, add some spices, boil and simmer and freeze - and some day down the road, your soup or other recipe is jump-started.

No; it simmers for the 4-5 days with the lid on - chicken bones maybe only for a day, and vegetable stock usually only a few hours - but beef bones will benefit from the extra long simmering time. I mason jar it and reduce it afterwards depending on what it's getting used for.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #962 of 3,876
Quote:
No; it simmers for the 4-5 days with the lid on - chicken bones maybe only for a day, and vegetable stock usually only a few hours - but beef bones will benefit from the extra long simmering time. I mason jar it and reduce it afterwards depending on what it's getting used for.

well, I've never gone longer than overnight, even with a bunch of bones. not sure there's a benefit beyond that point, frankly. the more important point (which you already made) is not to spice the stock too much.

but I checked my freezer today not too long after I posted, and I should add that since it's been "winter" in california, almost all the stock is gone but I gathered two nice portions of goose fat and duck fat, respectively. so head-fi cooks, another reminder: if you ever put a big bird in your oven, keep the (cleaned) lard, it's great to cook with

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #964 of 3,876
Brownie... chocolate, sugar, butter, eggs, nuts and even more sugar. Nothing wrong could happen with such ingredients. But what's your favorite recipe ?

For now I've settled on that one but I'd love to read yours 
wink_face.gif

- Sugar: 200gr
- Dark chocolate: 120gr
- Salted butter : 90gr
- Flour : 90gr
- Eggs : 2
- Pecan nuts: 50gr
- Some honey

- Break the chocolate into small pieces, put in a big bowl with the butter. Microwave in 20sec bursts and blend a bit in between each burst. It must be just hot enough to melt, no more.
- Chop the nuts, roast into a pan with honey and some butter while the chocolate cools down a bit.
- Whip the whole eggs until foamy and add into the chocolate bowl. Blend softly with a whip.
- Add the sugar while continuing turning in the mix with the whip.
- Do the same thing with the flour.
- Finally add the nuts.
- And 30min in a pre-heated oven at 180°c.
- It should get out quite soft (except for the top of course) so let it cool down and dry on a metal grid for a few hours.

Ben, with a full belly of chocolate.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #965 of 3,876

Braised beef neck, gragnano pasta, mozzarella di bufala al tartufo, fresh gremolata and homemade bread

Morning glory and shitake.

Mapo tofu

Red Curry with toasted peanuts, boiled eggs and fresh coriander (and lime). Those orange carrot-looking things are actually potatoes, which when stewed in curry taste awesome.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #966 of 3,876
^ wow, beautiful

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #970 of 3,876
^ yeah, that table looks nice

...I want Old Pa's glasses
tongue_smile.gif
 (different style then rustic though)

My chicken marsala:

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #972 of 3,876

Quote:
I gave my sister a boatload of iittala glasses for her wedding present last weekend. Old Pa has a great looking setting, too.

Your Chicken Marsala looks great.

And a whole bunch of the table setting is about to go out the door with SWMBO.  She is departing Friday with her own stuff and everything of mine she thinks I hold dear.  But it's just stuff.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #973 of 3,876
Quote:
^ yeah, that table looks nice

...I want Old Pa's glasses
tongue_smile.gif
 (different style then rustic though)

My chicken marsala:

Man that looks good... better than mine. 
smile.gif
  How did you make your sauce?  I think the recipe I used called for too much cream and not enough marsala wine so it was pretty heavy.  Next time I'll have to make some modifications.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #974 of 3,876

And a whole bunch of the table setting is about to go out the door with SWMBO.  She is departing Friday with her own stuff and everything on mine she thinks I hold dear.  But it's just stuff.

I suppose a man can do no better than to eat and drink and take satisfaction in what he does. You'd still have my respect, Old Pa, even if you served your meals up on aluminum plates and tree stumps.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #975 of 3,876

Quote:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif  

I suppose a man can do no better than to eat and drink and take satisfaction in what he does. You'd still have my respect, Old Pa, even if you served your meals up on aluminum plates and tree stumps.

Like this?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back