how many of you guys cook???
Mar 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #948 of 3,876

Quote:
First time making chicken marsala:

Sauteed bacon (couldn't find pancetta at Stop & Shop
redface.gif
), shallots and mushrooms, and roasted potatoes w/ a sprinkle of rosemary.

It came out pretty good.  The recipe called for 3/4 cup of marsala wine, but I used 1/2 cup marsala wine and 1/4 cup of sherry. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nice!  Looking good - and, probably tasting better, too!  When it comes to pancetta and stuff like that, I'm grateful that we have a Wegman's grocery store about 4 miles away.  They have everything imaginable at their stores.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #949 of 3,876

Quote:

That's a re-heat of a frozen quart of beef stew.  It's got 2TBS of fresh chopped Italian parsley in the bowl first and a dab of sour cream on top.  Hot crusty artisan rosemary/EVOO garlic bread and a glass of cab.  One reason I consider myself a "camp cook" is because I favor dishes and sauces that are even better the second time around.

Oh, sour cream. I thought you made a poached egg :D Bread looks great as always. I think there are few things that are as good as a good piece of bread.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #950 of 3,876

^ agreed, good made bread isn't appreciated enough, can be a real treat

Old pa, definitely, some things just tast better the 2nd time. A lot of my Indian dishes for example. And yes the bread looks good as usual, but also: fantastic looking glasses.

Quote:

That's a re-heat of a frozen quart of beef stew.  It's got 2TBS of fresh chopped Italian parsley in the bowl first and a dab of sour cream on top.  Hot crusty artisan rosemary/EVOO garlic bread and a glass of cab.  One reason I consider myself a "camp cook" is because I favor dishes and sauces that are even better the second time around.

Audio Dude, very tasty looking chicken marsala!

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #951 of 3,876
as it turns out, a really easy way to make squid is to fill them with red bell peppers and a mix of the tentacles, parsley, bread crumbs, spices, and olive oil, then briefly brown them on each side before simmering them for about an hour with a little bit of wine for moisture. serve with some home-made squid ink pasta and the rest of the wine :wink:

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #952 of 3,876

Quote:
While I see you reside on the "other" coast, we have a great micro-brewery based in Delaware that's making some wonderful IPA.  Dogfish Head is the brewery and we have 3 of their pubs/restaurants in my metro area.  I love their 60 Minute IPA (60 minute exposure to the hops) - and, they also make a 90 Minute IPA, too.  The 60 Minute IPA is used in the Black 'n Tans that they serve at their pubs.  So delicious ... and only 8.5% alcohol. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think I've seen some Dogfish Head in the good supermarket here. I'll buy the next time I'm in there on your recommendation.  I love a good Black and Tan (something this coast has yet to discover).

The killer is those double bocks - so tasty going down, so lethal to the brain cells.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #954 of 3,876
^^^that looks tasty!

I cook, mostly Italian and Asian food, but I diversify every now and again. Bought a pasta machine a while back and been having fun with that lately; I don't bother making my own fettuccine or spaghetti, but it's nice to be able to make your own stuffed pasta (the local grocers don't stock much in the way of variety... choose between filled with beef, filled with chicken, or filled with cheese and spinach... gets boring after a while). I also make my own bread if people are coming over (sans bread machine) and my own stock, because for some reason nobody makes a stock around here without salt already added, which is ridiculous because when you reduce it it's over-salty. I know some people wouldn't leave a covered stock pot on their stove for 4 or 5 days straight, but hey, my electricity is included in the rent and the apartment hasn't burned down yet 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #956 of 3,876
I bought more polenta today. Man, do I love that stuff.

Sometimes I'll cook it like grits and have a hot bowl with butter and sugar.

But what's really wonderful is making a large dish of polenta (by boiling and simmering it) and then putting that in the 'fridge overnight. After that, it's nice and firm. Cut it into slices and fry it on each side in a pan with some butter.

Pour some maple syrup over that and it's incredible. Also, this is so cheap that it feels like you're getting away with a crime!

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #957 of 3,876

Quote:

But what's really wonderful is making a large dish of polenta (by boiling and simmering it) and then putting that in the 'fridge overnight. After that, it's nice and firm. Cut it into slices and fry it on each side in a pan with some butter.

Pour some maple syrup over that and it's incredible. Also, this is so cheap that it feels like you're getting away with a crime!

Actually sounds like a good idea.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #958 of 3,876

Quote:

Polenta under braised short ribs is heaven.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #959 of 3,876
Quote:
[...] my own stock, because for some reason nobody makes a stock around here without salt already added, which is ridiculous because when you reduce it it's over-salty. I know some people wouldn't leave a covered stock pot on their stove for 4 or 5 days straight, but hey, my electricity is included in the rent and the apartment hasn't burned down yet 
tongue_smile.gif

wow, that's reduction... I like keeping stock in the freezer, and make some every time a duck or chicken comes through, and sometimes even just based on vegetables that aren't going to be eaten - toss them into a pot with or without some bones, add some spices, boil and simmer and freeze - and some day down the road, your soup or other recipe is jump-started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back