how many of you guys cook???
Jun 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #3,287 of 3,876
Yup, got all the spices for the dry mix to make the powder now need to get the "mudi" or puffed rice from the local Indian shop.

I used to have mudi mixed with a plethora of bits and pieces as a kid in Calcutta. It was a Bengali version

of Bhel with chopped onion,tomatoes,spicy or mild chanachur (Indian chex mix), peanuts, a few drops of mustard oil,

dried black chickpea and a few other bits and bobs.It was an evening snack with a cup of tea and by the age of 10

I was pretty adept at making it myself.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #3,289 of 3,876
I cook, both food, and cables.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,290 of 3,876
  Yup, got all the spices for the dry mix to make the powder now need to get the "mudi" or puffed rice from the local Indian shop.

I used to have mudi mixed with a plethora of bits and pieces as a kid in Calcutta. It was a Bengali version

of Bhel with chopped onion,tomatoes,spicy or mild chanachur (Indian chex mix), peanuts, a few drops of mustard oil,

dried black chickpea and a few other bits and bobs.It was an evening snack with a cup of tea and by the age of 10

I was pretty adept at making it myself.

Interesting; there are many variations of the dish. I've never had it with tomatoes in, but I like the idea of using mustard oil. I had it once with plain yoghurt (not raita) mixed in, and that was actually quite good. That version had an extra-spicy tamarind sauce, so the yoghurt took the edge off a bit. But only a bit.

The most expensive one I ever had from a restaurant/cafe/thali place was also the worst - a corporate faux-trendy start-up without a bloody clue. It was also the one that took the longest to assemble. At least I know never to go back there again.

I can buy the tamarind sauce from one local shop, and the sev/mudi/nuts/spice powder mix, all ready-combined from another. The coriander sauce needs to be made fresh, but that's a matter of about two minutes work.

My sister moved from London to the countryside about 15 years ago, and Bhel Puri is one of the very few things she misses.

The only problem with the dish is stopping yourself from making and eating another bowl of it, and another bowl, and...

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3,292 of 3,876
Pork Ribs (my recipe is a work in progress).
1. Prick all over with a skewer, then put in the fridge overnight under a shawarma mix dry rub.
2. Cook for three or more hours in the slow cooker/crockpot until tender.
3. Spread with glaze and finish in a regular hot oven 'til sticky.

Of course, not as good as proper barbecued ribs over smoke, but if you don't have a BBQ (or a garden) it'll make very tender, sticky, tasty ribs. You will also need soap and water to get the mess off your face.

Shawarma mix ingredients (multiply as appropriate). You can also mix it with plain yoghurt as a wet marinade for chicken.
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Glaze ingredients. Again, scale up as necessary. Re-glaze halfway through cooking.
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 tbsp Worcester Sauce
2 tbsp Maple syrup (for a change, try black treacle or go 50/50)
1 tsp chipotle Tabasco

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #3,296 of 3,876
I have a couple of lamb neck fillets in an overnight dry rub of Shawarma spice. Should be good, with a long slow cooking.

Shawarma mix (scale up measurements as necessary)
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,299 of 3,876
I made some Tsukemen ramen yesterday! Really really easy, I followed this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn2Gs5OphV0

Here's a short video of what I did: https://instagram.com/p/6-1YsLjyeG/?taken-by=jjjjacq

The KBBQ was from a premade mix lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back