How many heaphones do you have? And why?
Jun 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #76 of 122
Home - SR60 for everything
Commute - Super.fi 5 Pros
Office - Dennon D1000 or Yuin PK3

Different phones for different needs...

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #77 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I introduce you to WertherDVX? Now there's a guy who truly humbles us all.

Oh my lord almighty.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #78 of 122
I only have a pair of JVC RX700's for now, but I'm planning on building a CMOY and Alien DAC sometime this summer and probably buy a new pair of headphones by the end of summer.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #79 of 122
I have two: AKG K702s and Senn HD600. I heard they're both great and want to hear them both with a variety of amps. In the process, I hope to understand what people are talking about when they say that something sounds "slow" or "fast" or "warm" or "cold" or [add adjective here].

Eventually I will decide on one (I think)!

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #80 of 122
I have quite a few. Reason why? Looking for that perfect headphone.

Will I sell some or most of them? Yes, well at least some of them.

Am I worried that it's turning into an obsession? Hell yea, but boy is it a fun obsession...
beyersmile.png
o2smile.gif
beerchug.gif
dt880smile.png
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #81 of 122
I don't know why I have never really hoarded 'phones. I am more of the "one fone to rule 'em all" kina guy. Anyway, my main phones are the K340s (almost exclusively, headphones-wise). I have the Koss A250, but I never really use them. Just never take to like their tone. Most of the time I just listen to speakers, when I can (family plus neighbors...)

I just think that the K340s got so many things right, I just don't feel the urge to chase after the "perfect" phones. Plus financially I would rather not splurge on any new gears. If you look at my sig, most of my setup is vintage...

I love this hobby, but it's never my thing to just obsess over the "last ounce" of musical performance. I feel that my system is adequate. Instead, I would rather spend the time enjoying and making music. Just my .02

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #82 of 122
i will have 5 main cans soon...

HD650: because i like its darkness and expressiveness as well as its contrast in presentation against Grados.

K701: because i like its neutral presentation, its technical ability as well as its ability to reproduce female vocals amazingly. also a nice contrast with other phones.

Grado RS1i, SR325i, HF2: because i just love the Grado sound period. they sound the most natural to me like very old traditional speakers. the 325i's and RS1i's also contrast nicely. 325i's having a brighter tone while the RS1i having a somewhat darker tone. 325i's are still the best for acoustic music IMO. i'm hoping the HF2 will provide something in between.

then i have 3 other cans i use for portable use...

PX100: my open style portable cans for on the go.

V6: closed style cans for the airplane or other areas when i want noise reduction.

R02PRO: my first pair of IEMs for even more portable, convenient listening.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #83 of 122
The way I see it, I have four headphones as keepers: one 'stat, one dynamic, and two iems, and it's two rather than one only because they're custom. I also always seem to have a couple headphones that come and go, and that's the hobby side to all of this, which I really enjoy, though lately, I'm pretty ready to let go of a few more and start saving for that killer source. We'll see.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #84 of 122
Hmm. I've got my "regulars", my SR325i goldies and Senn 650s. I switch between them all the time. Then I've got "the backups/walking cans", my SR80s, HD-280 pros and currently-broken Denon D1001s. Finally, there's the Koss Pro4AAA that I'm dragging my feet to get replacement cushions for.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #85 of 122
SR 80 (not used), SR 225 (at the office), K701 & HD 650 (at home).

I started with the SR 80, then the 225. From there I listened to many many headphones before settling on the K701 & 650 for regular home use. I would like to add a higher end Grado and a K1000 in the future, but I am hoping to stay happy enough with what I have.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #86 of 122
HD-650: this is gonna be my last headphone for a while. can't get much better for my budget.

SR-225i: first expensive headphone. best i could get new for $200. should have bought used instead.

K240: dunno why I bought this, I don't have an amp powerful enough. now for sale!

PK-3: for portable use

MDR-NC40: dad gave me this. do not want!

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #87 of 122
lets see....i think i have about 4 half-decent ones, and 3 garbage junk phones that suck and are not worth mentioning.

i have:
grado sr-80i-home use headphones, and other quiet enviroments
sennheiser hd-437-back-up home use headphones, which will soon be sold
apple ibuds-well.....i would call these my stunt phones. if my other ones are at risk of being broken/hurt, i'll use these
jvc air cushions-portable IEMS!

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #88 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just did a count and even I am hard pressed to justify let alone explain why I have (including IEM's) 16 sets of headphones - most accumulated in past 9 months I've been on Head-Fi - damn, this URL is worse than a gambling addiction - and it feels so good.
devil_face.gif
beerchug.gif

It's a sicknessssss- arghhh - help me / help my wallet / save my marriage / my sanity - - - gawd, must be time to buy yet another pair of cans
redface.gif
wink_face.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #89 of 122
HI guys my very first post here
smily_headphones1.gif

I have 4 cans currrently. I try to make full use of them depending on the situation or
the activity... However, as the collection increases, it becomes harder to use them as much as i could.. this is a chore actually , considering we have only 1pair of ears :p ever since i bought the HD650..the HD 595 have been relegated to miscellaneous duties.. like Watching Movie..gaming etc... also don knwo what will happen to the MS2 when i get the MS pro..

Home: HD 650 , MS2
Commute/ Office : SR80
Misc: HD595

I have plans to get my hand on a MS pro and RS-1 in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #90 of 122
Addendum Question: What is the ideal number of headphones must every headfier have?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. ___, please fill your number

For me, I would go for c.3. How about you guys? Kindly choose an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back