How many heaphones do you have? And why?
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #106 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O M F G

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Profile: WertherDVX

There was a thread about that a while back. I think that guy actually just collects phones. I don't think that he really listens to him. IIRC, he wants to put together some sort of museum or sthg.

Also, for me, just RS-1, HF-2. K1000 sometime after next year when I have my beta 22 finished.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #107 of 122
5 pairs, and they all serve a purpose and get used fairly regularly:

JVC Marshmallows - beater IEMs for doing yardwork.
Denon D7000s - For home use.
Denon D2000s - For work use (D7000s are too pricy for me to consider taking to work, so I use the D2000s as beater stand-ins for work instead).
Denon D1000s - these are the headphones my wife uses exclusively in her little headphone rig.
KOSS Portapros - for when I need a good pair of non-IEM beater phones on the go (travel, etc).

If I was forced to keep only one pair of phones, it would be the D7000s - I could easily live happily ever after with them.

If I fell below the poverty level, and needed to keep only one pair of cheapo phones, the KOSS Portapros would be all that I ever needed.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #108 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You obviously are not familiar with the term "quality not quantity".

Hadn't heard of him before this thread.

The guy is a legend, regardless of quality or quantity.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #109 of 122
I have 2 pairs of headphones right now that I use on a consistant basis. My Sony MDR-v150's and my SE-30's. The sonys are definetly nothing special but good for portable use.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #110 of 122
I have 19 or 20, detailed in my profile. Why? I'm not sure. I'm having a mid-life crisis and it's cheaper than buying a Corvette? I plan to buy one or two more, and then buy new ones as they pique my interest and attract a bunch of attention on Head-Fi as the next big, reasonably-priced thing (ie, < $350).

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #111 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 19 or 20, detailed in my profile. Why? I'm not sure. I'm having a mid-life crisis and it's cheaper than buying a Corvette? I plan to buy one or two more, and then buy new ones as they pique my interest and attract a bunch of attention on Head-Fi as the next big, reasonably-priced thing (ie, < $350).

I bought a lot at first, too. However, it's beginning to make more sense to consolidate into a few good ones and use them exclusively. The HD-800 turned out to be a superb fit to my tastes and they get tons of head time. More head time in total than all the ones I sold to get them. I'm now looking to pick up an Omega2 and an Ergo AMT to round things out. I might sell off a few more to consolidate.

After that, I think I'm about done. If another manufacturer rolls out something like the HD-800, I might bite.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #112 of 122
Two - my Denon D7000's I listen to at home, because I want the best to listen to music...and some Fostex T40's at the studio, because they are reliable and don't bleed too much recording vocals.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #114 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a lot at first, too. However, it's beginning to make more sense to consolidate into a few good ones and use them exclusively. The HD-800 turned out to be a superb fit to my tastes and they get tons of head time. More head time in total than all the ones I sold to get them. I'm now looking to pick up an Omega2 and an Ergo AMT to round things out. I might sell off a few more to consolidate.

After that, I think I'm about done. If another manufacturer rolls out something like the HD-800, I might bite.

Wow Uncle Erik, seems you read my mind. I was going to ask you if you had heard any Ergo HP like Ergo 2 or AMT, to give me some impressions against the DT48E. And now you say you plan on buying the AMT
smily_headphones1.gif

Will be waiting then for your impressions. I think, however, that the AMT is very costly, compared to the Ergo 2, and don't know if there is such noticeable difference between both. However if you also happen to listen to Ergo 2 before buying I'd like to read your impressions.

So far I have realized I am looking forward for more headphones to try different technologies.

In the end I might end up with 4-5 headphones, all of them in the mid-fi level but with different technologies, except dyanmic headphones, being one very colored (grado), and other the opposite (Beyer)

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #115 of 122
Sennheiser mx500 - an upgrade from the Apple buds that came with my first ipod. Now rarely used as I got...

Sennheiser PX200 - bought whilst travelling after I found the buds too uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Grado SR80 - first cans I bought, now 7 years old and with thousands of hours on them. They were auditioned with the SR60s and Sennheiser HD (something that was the same price as the SR80s). I find now that they occasionally crackle with high trebles and sometimes echo slightly. I assume they are on their way out. I still use them when I want to rock with my X-CANS as they sound better than the K702s. They will be the next upgrade and the reason why I got....

AKG K702 - now the main listening cans. I took a risk as I cannot audition them as no dealer anywhere near me. But MF owners listed them with their kit more often than any other can and Antony Michaelson recommended them to me. Delighted.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #116 of 122
6 main headphones (soon to be 7)

Why you ask? Simple:

SA5000 - highly resolving, fast, accurate and one of my prima8ry listenin8g cans for electronica (majority of my music)

DT880 - a warmer, smoother presentation but still heavy on the details. My allrounder-but-still-exceptional-for-electronica can.

DR150 - my Grado alternative. Better bass and soundstage than my old SR225 with same great punch and crunchy guitar sound for when I'm in the mood to rock and roll.

AD700
- strictly for my Xbox360 (big soundstage)

KSC75
- my main portable

HA-FX66
- when I need isolation in a small package

I'll soon be purchasing either a MDR-7506, DT770 or Shure SRH840 for a full-sized closed can.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #117 of 122
2... a pair of cheap canalphones for the gym, and HD25´s for everything else
wink.gif

If I had more money I had more headphones,and amps and RC carsand water filtering thing..
all the gadets i could justify to myself as having some use :p

but I´m not rich,so I stya happy whit what I got
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #119 of 122
7 (GRADO GS1000, GRADO SR325i, GRADO SR225, GRADO SR225 Mahoganyfied, PIONEER SE-305, SENNHEISER HD25-1 II, audio-technica SQ5) + GRADO HF2 ordered.

I only seem to be using three of them on a regular basis though.
GS1000 at home, HD25-1 portable isolating, SR225 portable non-isolating. I think the ideal number will be 4, the three types mentioned, plus a (semi) isolating one for home.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #120 of 122
Real headphones? Just one, Sony MDR-V6. I looked around forever and decided to get these because they're closed, isolate a bit, were under $100 and they are more or less neutral.

I'd like to have a Grado SR-60i and Koss Porta Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back