How many CDs / Records do you own?
May 9, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #31 of 75
I know I'm getting there but how do you guys store more than 1000 CDs? I never counted mine recently but last time I checked it was a little over 500 and it's getting out of control.

May 9, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #32 of 75
I use these wonder shelving units from Ikea. I have 4 of them holding about 1300 discs. There is also the option of dumping the plastic cases and getting vinyl slip covers.

May 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #33 of 75
Somewhere between 700 and 1000 LPs and CDs combined. I used to keep a perfect list, but my laptop died and that's gone. I've been making excuses about making a new one. I'll probably do that in the next little while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use these wonder shelving units from Ikea. I have 4 of them holding about 1300 discs. There is also the option of dumping the plastic cases and getting vinyl slip covers.

What shelving units are those? I only know of one dedicated CD rack they sell, and it's one of those idiotic tall and thin ones. Are you adapting a bookshelf for it or something?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been hoping for a CD storage solution from them for a while, especially since they make a perfect LP storage shelf.

May 9, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #36 of 75
These numbers just blow me away. I mean I almost can't get my head around physically *having* 4 or 5 or 9 thousand CD's/albums. I mean, where the hell do you keep them? Do you have a section of one's that you play more often that are within easier reach or something?

May 9, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These numbers just blow me away. I mean I almost can't get my head around physically *having* 4 or 5 or 9 thousand CD's/albums. I mean, where the hell do you keep them? Do you have a section of one's that you play more often that are within easier reach or something?

I use a storage system provided by Can-Am CD Storage Cabinet, DVD Storage Cabinet, Media storage, Stereo Cabinet and Home Theater Furniture for CD DVD VHS Storage Its expensive but THE absolute best for the serious CD collector...... its a CD cabinet system made of steel. A cabinet which holds 800 CDs is 500 bucks. The storage alone has cost me well over 5 grand. However its strikingly nice furniture and really REALLY conserves space in comparison to traditional CD racks and spinners. I'm against throwing out jewel cases, I don't store my CDs in CD albums.

May 9, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What shelving units are those? I only know of one dedicated CD rack they sell, and it's one of those idiotic tall and thin ones. Are you adapting a bookshelf for it or something?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been hoping for a CD storage solution from them for a while, especially since they make a perfect LP storage shelf.

I just checked their website and they don't seem to have the ones I bought about 18 months ago. I can take some pictures if you would like. They are (as far as I know) CD shelves. They have glass doors and the shelves are perfectly distributed to allow the height of a CD and maybe a thumb or so more. They hold about 325-350 CDs I believe it is each.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have all my music in the basement in my area of the house I passionately refer to as the dungeon. In the past I have had everything alphabetized so it was easy to get at but I grew tired of that and went for random so it was a joy of discovery every time I would hunt for something I would want to listen to and in the process grab hold of a stack of stuff I hadn't heard in a good while. Rediscovering my own music collection is often more exhilarating than buying a new album.

Also, I have my CD collection nearly ripped now so my wife has easy access wirelessly throughout the house.

May 9, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricco87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you guys afford? Where do you get your CD's? I'm guessing you all spend between £5-10 (sorry $10-20) on an average CD album? If I bought all the albums I wanted I would probably still only have about 500 and be multiple thousands of £/$ in debt!

What's everyone's view to downloading these days? i use it to check out bands before I buy the album. Obviously for the quality I wouldn't use MP3's for any propper listening other than to trial

Well, I'm too busy with my work for pop culture, so I don't have cable. That's easily an extra 4 CDs a month, and that's just the beginning.
biggrin.gif
My career is in the music industry, so that also helps in prioritizing things.

I get my CDs almost always locally. The Downtown Music Gallery (downtownmusicgallery.com) is where I get all of my avant-garde classical, world, and improvisation CDs. Other Music (othermusic.com) is where I get my rock and pop CDs. I get a lot of my records from Jazz Record Center, the dollar bins of record stores, and all sorts of estate sales, record fairs, and other such things. All of these things are in the New York City (Manhattan) area. I only buy online when I have to (for extra rare things).

If all of the music you would ever want amounts to only 500 CDs, then you're not doing something right. Expand your mind a bit and explore other musical ventures - believe me, music is a continuous exploration, and never ends.

Downloading music illegally through P2P programs is extremely immoral and... illegal. I don't participate in it. I know how much money even somebody like myself loses from online downloading. Yes, the system is broken, is which is why so many consumers turn to downloading, but this doesn't give an excuse. Some people like myself are trying to really fix the industry and make it worthwhile to buy music again, but this illegal downloading will only hurt our chances of this ever happening. But again, how can you blame somebody when the only alternatives are to buy ****ty quality lossy files, with a not-so-great selection?

If the musician ultimately receives money from somebody as a result of them downloading (legally or illegally) then I guess I'm happy. My record label returns the majority percentage of earnings to the artist(s), so it works out for us. But for people on totalitarian major labels, it really screws them. Then again, they're probably on a major label for a reason, and may not deserve that money if the industry were a truly free-market enterprise where competition was encouraged and actually possible.

I don't really believe people who say that they download only for trial. So, what, you delete the files from your computer when you're finished "trying" the music out? You never listen to it again, even if you like it? You buy EVERY SINGLE ALBUM/SONG that you ever download illegally? I have high doubts about this.

May 9, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #40 of 75
I am happy to say I have never downloaded a single song ever (with the exception of a friend's garage band rehearsal) ..........if I'm interested in something, I am happy that I usually have the funds to check it out. I feel bad with the concept of downloading, even if I pay for it.....I feel like without the hard copy its not really worth it.

May 9, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #41 of 75
For me the ideal is buying vinyl and having the label offer a free digital offering via their website. I'm not setup for needle drops and frankly I don't have the time to do it right (at least not for all the vinyl I buy...as with Aman, dollar bins and estate sales makes for a lot of wonderful and dirt cheap music).

I'm in the "don't have cable" camp. This means 2-3 cds a month for me and 2 DVDs for my wife. It works out very well.

May 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really believe people who say that they download only for trial. So, what, you delete the files from your computer when you're finished "trying" the music out? You never listen to it again, even if you like it? You buy EVERY SINGLE ALBUM/SONG that you ever download illegally? I have high doubts about this.

Wow thats a great post! Sorry I cut it down short in my post to quote. Speaking for myself I can say I buy about 80-90% of the music I download on CD which I do delete as I only like listening to CD's (mp3s to trial) I would probably only buy about 50% of the CD's otherwise so it's probably letting me explore other genre's and making me spend more if I'm honest
biggrin.gif
I do agree with you completely though and would never do it if it was damaging to the industry. I know its not quite the same but isn't buying from bargain bins taking a bit out of the industry rather than paying the premium prices? (just trying to look at both angles)

As for the only want 500 then yes I think your right I should try new things I generaly stick to one genre really learn what it is about pick the best from it and buy the CD's which takes a month or so. I will try other stuff but it takes me a while to get used to things and understand what I like and why. I guess I would prefer to have a few of my favourite albums than every one under the sun. I'm only 20 and money probably has a lot to do with that. I'll look into going to my local record stores and see what is cheap that I fancy.

thanks very much for the response!

May 9, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a storage system provided by Can-Am CD Storage Cabinet, DVD Storage Cabinet, Media storage, Stereo Cabinet and Home Theater Furniture for CD DVD VHS Storage Its expensive but THE absolute best for the serious CD collector...... its a CD cabinet system made of steel. A cabinet which holds 800 CDs is 500 bucks. The storage alone has cost me well over 5 grand. However its strikingly nice furniture and really REALLY conserves space in comparison to traditional CD racks and spinners. I'm against throwing out jewel cases, I don't store my CDs in CD albums.

Those storage solutions at Can-Am look nice. I even like their other modular stuff. Thanks for sharing the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back