How loud do you listen?
Apr 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #16 of 101
I have my audio gd sparrow on about 3/4 way on my dt990 600 ohms and my k701s but on my others like about 1/3 to 1/2.. About the same on my FiiO E9... I have turned them all they way on my K701 and dt990 but are loud as hell...

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 101
It depends on what youre using. A lot of speakers and headphones have a point at which they really sing and this may or may not be at your preferred listening level. My Realistic Mach 1 speakers dont sound very good at low levels but when cranked are incredible. So, from a quality point of view, youll have to listen to find out. Now, as for volume in respect to hearing damage, play it safe. Twenty years from now you may be regretting cranking your 'phones to 11 because they wont make hearing aids that go to 11. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 101

Quote:
I listen to my clip+ at -50 db for iems and -35 for headphones. At home, my ibasso d4's volume knob is in between the 9-10 o'clock positions.

May I ask which headphones are you using?

Right now I walked to work and used the Clip+ at -4dB with the HD-25 but only to wake up :) Normally I use them with -12dB..

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 101
Impossible to say how loud you're listening without measuring dB.

I will say though that phones that create pressure like Sony XB and other closed headphones will cause more damage than something open. It's sound pressure levels that damage hearing. You have to take into account is the music being directed straight down your ear canal or indirect through angeled drivers or Ultrasones S-logic and the likes.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #22 of 101

Quote:

I will say though that phones that create pressure like Sony XB and other closed headphones will cause more damage than something open. It's sound pressure levels that damage hearing. You have to take into account is the music being directed straight down your ear canal or indirect through angeled drivers or Ultrasones S-logic and the likes.

I have to confess that you are right :)!!

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #23 of 101
My FiiO E9 only goes up to 8-10 o'clock high gain at most with all my headphones. I don't know how people hit and go past the 12 o'clock mark.
blink.gif
Maybe I'll reach that stage when my hearing starts to deminish.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #24 of 101

Quote:

I could definitely use some Dim Sum right now.

Definitely.

Quote:

Normally, I listen to closed headphones at quieter volumes because they are closed. Similar idea with IEMs. If you're still blasting music with IEMs or closed headphones, then you're just asking for it. Enjoying music at whisper levels is easier attained with closed headphones IME. The hum of the computer hard drives and fans are quite irritating.

Dim Sum restaurant with low ceiling hm... For 60 something years old, my parents hear pretty dang well for having eaten so much Dim Sum.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 101

Quote:
May I ask which headphones are you using?

Right now I walked to work and used the Clip+ at -4dB with the HD-25 but only to wake up :) Normally I use them with -12dB..

I use ultrasone hfi 580's. I dont know if they're considered easy to drive compared to other cans, but they do sound louder on a given volume than the HD448's I have...

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 101
About a 80 to 85db average usually.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #27 of 101
lol. How about 100% of Iphone 4 directly connected to T50RP? 
Or volume 60 on e7...Where was I going with these. But I don't know what DB level I was listening to, orthos are really inefficient. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #28 of 101
As quietly as possible. On the typical 0-100 scale used in the Windows sound volume settings I listen to music at 5 when I know the music very well and 10 when I'm listening to something new and want to hear as much as possible (I listen to my music mostly using my computer). The general rule is "enough for me to distinguish between the instruments and hear separate notes". I think it works very well. I had to make a decision (I used to set the volume at either 25 or 33) to listen to music this quietly. You need some time to get used to it but now I can't stand loud music and I guess it's great for my hearing.

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #29 of 101
-48 / -54 / -58dB Rockbox, Sansa Clip+ (Normal use)
I can't enjoy the music at such low volumes, though. When I really feel like blasting my music I turn it up to -8dB+ I'm sure that's bad for my ears.
When I feel like "listening" to my music at a normal (loud) level I use -21dB or -18dB

When I'm going to sleep or reading I turn it down to -64 or -68dB (Max is -74dB)

Currently using my SC TiTAN's (16 Ohm). Waiting for my refund for my M30's 'til I get a pair of HA-RX700's

(I have OCD, so that's why I have set volume levels I use :p)

When I'm surfing the web on my Windows computer I have the volume at 4. When I'm actually listening to music on the computer its at 9 or 12.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #30 of 101
Just curious, are the people that say they listen to it a 8 or 9, are they hooked up to a line level? That's where I listen to it a line level from a CD player.

MacKat:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back