How loud do you listen to your music??
Mar 10, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that doesn't tell us what volume you listen to your music at because it depends on various things.

I envariably go up to number "11" on the knob
icon10.gif

Joking aside, it depends on how long I am listening. If I'm listening when working, then I'll keep the volume down. If it's just for a CD length, then I'll raise the volume. I like having it loud enough to hear impact, but not have any fatigue. I know that can be damaging if you have prolonged exposure at higher levels.....so it's just like food intake. If you elect to have a big cake one day, you'll try to balance your diet out with lighter/healthier meals.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 55
How come people aren't willing to spend the money on a sound level meter? You don't have to have some certified model to get a rough idea of safe listening levels. Even the rat shack meter is half the cost of any of my headphones, and I tend to be a cheap bar steward. Heck, I bought one just to check headphone levels, then carried it around for a couple of days to see what levels we like in my daily life.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #33 of 55
I use IEMs, so usually I can hear someone talking if they're standing within 2 feet of me. I set my iPod to about 50% volume, which is good, considering how I used to listen ~85% volume.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is right, the whole thing is extremely dependent on the very fon in usage. The DT880 sounds ridiculously thin on very low volumes, whereas all my other fons are mostly driven as "silent" as possible. The cheap poti of my solid state amp sometimes forced me to hear louder than I wanted - so I equipped it with an additional gain switch.

All in all, I have the impression that listening at very high volumes seems to be tendencially a male, newbee and youngster thing.
tongue.gif

Before I came to head-fi, I literally used to listen to music at the lowest possible volume. It was just my ear-drums couldn't take the air pressure formed by the sound from my headphones. When I got my dt770's, everything changed. The dt770's, being my first hi(er)-end headphone, sounded so soft and delicate. It's similar to the hard-tasting quality of tap water(my previous Koss r80), and the soft, natural taste of bottled water(the dt770's). Add to that that the dt770's sounded so good...and I instinctively wanted to turn the volume up. Now with my dt880's, not only is it hard to drive, but it's even softer sounding and more laid back than my dt770's. So that's more volume to pump! I guess I better start thinking for my hearing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #35 of 55
I'm another of those who normally listen at comfortably sane levels guaranteed to preserve good hearing for years to come, but now and again, when the song has horns a-blaring and drums a poundin' and big fiddles just sawin' madly away I'll fall into the trance and bring the levels up to where I remember it from back in the days when I was involved in the real thing.

But only for a few short minutes at a time.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I got my dt770's, everything changed. The dt770's, being my first hi(er)-end headphone, sounded so soft and delicate. It's similar to the hard-tasting quality of tap water(my previous Koss r80), and the soft, natural taste of bottled water(the dt770's). Add to that that the dt770's sounded so good...and I instinctively wanted to turn the volume up.

Whoa.
biggrin.gif
The DT770 was soft and delicate in comparison with your headphones before? Crazy. The DT770 is one of the strongest and non-delicate headphones I've heard. And the DT880? Yeah, that is soft and delicate.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa.
biggrin.gif
The DT770 was soft and delicate in comparison with your headphones before? Crazy. The DT770 is one of the strongest and non-delicate headphones I've heard. And the DT880? Yeah, that is soft and delicate.
evil_smiley.gif

...Yes...the DT770's relative absence of mids and kickbass plus the nutty warm subwoofer slimes everything towards a "gentle" sound sig. But where's the music?
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #38 of 55
Wow - I thought I was loud.

I voted "can just hear partner shouting at me" and I think I listen at almost an unsafe volume.

Don't worry about accuracy too much. I also listen at all sorts of volumes for different music. I'm just trying to see where we all stand in terms of loudness and tinnitus. hehehe

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #39 of 55
I can hear the keys on my keyboard, but I still have to take off an ear to hear someone talking to me. Then again I'm using sealed cans XD

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #40 of 55
Well, I can hear pages turning, but then again, I wear Grados, so I have somewhat of an advantage.

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa.
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Well of course, I was a super newb at the time. Now I'm just a newb newb
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #43 of 55
with closed cans;
can hear pages turn
can hear keyboard QUITE well
in a quiet room, can listen comfortably at a mini-sliver on ipod with westone UM1's in (with Shure foamies), though I often take it to a fifth or sixth of the bar. :O

May 14, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #44 of 55
With open headphones like the senns hd555 I can hear to pages turning, but sometimes I cant hear people talk unless they shout.

I have been really worried about hearing damage because i know I have a little loss in my right ear. This might have been caused by headphones because i used to hear my walkman really loud every night for at least 3-4hours/day..

My question is, what is a safe listening level for someone who listens to music for 4hours/day? Do I need to be able to listen to the ages turn?

When using my Vibes with the zen I regulary have the volume at 10(of 25) and when using the HD555 it goes up to at least 15. I am more worried about those peaks I make when I am enjoying certain song. i REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW MANY dBs I am receiving...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back