How loud do you listen to your music??
Mar 9, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 55
I once put my headphones down, stood up, walked out of my room and closed my door. Then, with a flourish, I stuck my ear up against it. The Chemical Brothers could distinctly be heard.

That scared me.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 55
With the yellow foam sleevs on my E4Gs I can't hear anyone unless they are shouting at me at close distance (and my wife has had to
redface.gif
) and that's right down to a volume of 7 (out of 50).

Most I need is 25 - anymore is probably bad.

Awesome isolation.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 55
Depends where I am, and which rig I use.
Portable rig: I don't hear people speaking to me, or any train noise. But this is mostly because I use IEM's.
Home rig: I hear people speaking to me.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 55
Low enough that I can usually yell at the little ones for having their TV or music up loud enough that it may damage their hearing! Or Mine!!

I can hear others talking to me me, but I still must remove the phones if they're talking at a normal conversational level.

The most important thing to me is that they, and I, keep our hearing intact till we reach old age!

...oh yeah; all my cans are open.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 55
i listen at very low volumes
when i use my open cans with my turntable, i hear both the headphone and the turntable 4 or 5 feet away producing music

more than half my family has hearing issues and its something i want to avoid

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #25 of 55
i listen to mine all the way turned up on my mp3 player but it just depends on the songs....rock is always alot louder then everything else.But then again my speakers in my car put out 145DB so i guess im pretty much use to it.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by hudsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you're using a mac, I usually keep it at 3-5... squares.. for lack of a better word. I keep the volume in the lower 1/4 on my iPod, when using closed of course, open I have to keep it at around 1/2 (ouch) when outside.

that doesn't tell us what volume you listen to your music at because it depends on various things.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 55
It all depends.... depends on the kind of listening im doing.

I use IEMs but if im working in something and i just want some background music to replace the environmental noise, i use a volume that would allow me to hear the page turn (assuming that i was wearing regular phones).

When i just want to close my eyes, relax and let my thoughts and my music fuse into one being, i use a mid or mid high volume (at max), just enough to be able to hear every little detail of the music im listening to.

It also depends on the genre, if its quiet n soft music, i crank it up a little bit, if its rock or metal, i take it down a little.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #28 of 55
My K701 do not allow me to listen to them at high volumes. As soon as I turn up the volume in order to get the "fullness" feeling, I know I'm going to get hearing damage. If I turn up the volume, the trebles and high-mids peak is especially pronounced (painful) while the bass is still not as satisfying as expected. This was not the case with the HD650 when I owned that headphone. Neither was it the case with the SA5000, surprisingly.

So for my K701, I go up 3/5 the way on a iPod 2ndG Nano (headphone out) and the 2nd dot on my PPX3 SLAM.
I can hear people talking to me when I have the K701 playing busy music.

Gah, I really need to change headphones to something like the HD650 without the veil at low volumes.
I should try out the W5000 when I have the money.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #29 of 55
I can't answer because of too many factors. For example, with my open HD650, I can notice others when they start talking to me, but with my ER-4, they need to tap me or shout. But in both cases, I don't think I listen to music loud at all. I will occasionally turn up the volume for some really serious critical listening/enjoyment, but other than that, they stay low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back