How long did you own your HD800 before you noticed a small nick in the plastic
Aug 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
It's no secret that the most obvious flaw of the HD800 is it's plastic housing which is painted to look like metal.  I adore the sound, but I wish there was a varnish on the metallic paint.  I have two pairs and while I use them with utmost care, neither pair is entirely nick free.  I bet, even if you were unaware, if you own a pair for more than a year, it will eventually have some very small nick at one of the rims.

So how long did you own your pair before a small piece of the paint nicked away?

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 19
Off topic 25%:

My friend let me borrow a pair to edit a classical record and he told me this: "Don't worry about the paint scratching, I do it all the time"

I gave him back the HD800 after a week with two new scratches when I even laid them on cloth and they never contacted anything else them my head and the cloth. Maybe my nails got to it?

Why did Senn paint the housing rather then cast it in the solid color? My HD598 don't scratch

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Off topic 25%:

My friend let me borrow a pair to edit a classical record and he told me this: "Don't worry about the paint scratching, I do it all the time"

I gave him back the HD800 after a week with two new scratches when I even laid them on cloth and they never contacted anything else them my head and the cloth. Maybe my nails got to it?

Why did Senn paint the housing rather then cast it in the solid color? My HD598 don't scratch

hahaha no idea.

I have two pairs and I just put the first small knick into the one which didn't have any and it happened while i was holding it and my nail rubbed.  I was more amused than anything because it was barely touching.  If any of you saw my set up, I am so **** careful with all my headphones.... I lay them down on open cell foam in a climate controlled cabinet when they're not being used.  It's so funny how the paint on the HD800 is like paper :)

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
hahaha no idea.

I have two pairs and I just put the first small knick into the one which didn't have any and it happened while i was holding it and my nail rubbed.  I was more amused than anything because it was barely touching.  If any of you saw my set up, I am so **** careful with all my headphones.... I lay them down on open cell foam in a climate controlled cabinet when they're not being used.  It's so funny how the paint on the HD800 is like paper :)

I borrow a lot of cans, A LOT to listen to and I treat them with the best care. But man, that paint would just run away at the right of something sharp.

It might be that Senn designed or used a harder or softer material in the plastic and couldn't put a dye into the cast. Something for the SQ.

Or they are just lazy. 
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 19
I was meticulous with mine when I first got it. It even went back to Senn once to correct an issue and they returned looking new. Months later I noticed a small nick. After the initial horror I became less anal.

I used to be the same when I collected watches. Tons of them. A portion of which was a number of vintage NOS watches. Some that were 50+ years old. I took great care off them but not at the expense of not wearing them. Which I did.

Now with the HD800 it stays on my Woo stand when not in use. As long at they function perfectly I'm not as concerned anymore. rned looking new. Months later I noticed a small nick. After the initial horror I became less anal.

I used to be the same when I collected watches. Tons of them. A portion of which was a number of vintage NOS watches. Some that were 50+ years old. I took great care off them but not at the expense of not wearing them. Which I did.

Now with the HD800 it stays on my Woo stand when not in use. As long at they function perfectly I'm not as concerned anymore.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
I was meticulous with mine when I first got it. It even went back to Senn once to correct an issue and they returned looking new. Months later I noticed a small nick. After the initial horror I became less anal.

I'm that same way.... it's always that first nick that gets me.  The second nick could be 4 times the size of the first one but it won't bother me as much.  Ironically I nicked mine while putting it on the Woo Stand:)

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 19
No nicks on mine - yet. I don't use them much, still waiting on the Eddie Current Super 7 to come out, the waiting is killing me!!!

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 19
I've been as careful as possible with mine, but I think it was maybe three or four months in when I noticed the first sliver of paint missing around a corner. I freaked out a little bit... $1400 and the paint just comes off like that? They still sound amazing and they feel just as comfortable as ever, so I can't really complain, but man. That was a bummer.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm that same way.... it's always that first nick that gets me.  The second nick could be 4 times the size of the first one but it won't bother me as much.  Ironically I nicked mine while putting it on the Woo Stand:)

After the first nick they're called character marks. :wink:

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Sennheiser do seem to have niggling build quality issues with a lot of their cans. The Sennheiser logo on the HD650 seems to slowly chip away not matter what you do, and theres been headband cracking on the HD5XX series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back