How long did it take to get used to your first IEM?
Nov 1, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I was thinking about getting the "plug" (koss) just to see if i could get used to them and then go for a better IEM.
Are they really that bad?
They can be had for about $10 on Ebay...
Any recommendations for earbuds??
Thanx guys.

I did this, the plug does not fit in your ear like any decent IEM I've tried, and I've tried almost all of them. The plug foam sucks and it'll actually push itself out of your ear. As much as I don't care for the fit of ER4's, I'd take them over The Plug just based on fit any day of the week. Shure, Ultimate Ears, and Westone all provide vastly superior comfort and fit.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider
I don't think that is true...inverse square law?

Distance makes a huge difference! 140 db SPL at 30 ft loses intensity over those 30 ft. 1/8th'' pretty much retains 100% intensity.

Lets do the math (please correct me if I am wrong, because I most likely am...I have percieved from articles that the dB decrease is a linear function while the distance is exponential):

1/8''=140 db (which is, by the way, EXTREMELY loud)

1/4'' = 134 db

1/2'' = 128 db and so forth, until we achieve 30 ft...

------------------

21 1/3 ' = 74

32 ' = 71 db?

This is possibly correct, please say if I am not.

Whatever the case, it stands that sound reduces intensity through distance.

I'm surprised other head-fier's alarms didn't go off.
etysmile.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 41
Four days for the Shure E3 and the UM2's took seven. To my amazement the ER6i seemed to be a perfect fit the first time I slid them into my ears. Karma, neh?

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Ive had the Senn mx500 and my cell phone has more bass...

They have _plenty_, its just leaking out
rolleyes.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #23 of 41
Shure E4C... 1 hour to find out that I am suited to the Tri-Flange, another hour to get used to them

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #27 of 41
e2c... at first it wasn't bad. Used them for ~9 months with no problems. Lately they are starting to tickle the little hairs in my ears and its ichy and irritating. Especially when I walk / move. I can lie in bed and sleep with them all night with no problems though. Its the movement and vibration that tickles my ear hairs.

Garrett

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
e2c... at first it wasn't bad. Used them for ~9 months with no problems. Lately they are starting to tickle the little hairs in my ears and its ichy and irritating. Especially when I walk / move. I can lie in bed and sleep with them all night with no problems though. Its the movement and vibration that tickles my ear hairs.

Garrett

With regular earplugs, pushing them in hits something that causes my throat to itch and I proceed to cough. Perhaps a certain nerve there.

Nov 2, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Are you using your MX500's with foamies or without? Without foamies, they are indeed NOT bassy. With a pair of Radioshack foamies the bass is much improved, even over the stock foam.

If you are using Radioshack foam and you still find the MX500 to be lacking in the bass department, then I think the only IEM that may even come close to having enough bass to suit you while still providing quality would be the Super.Fi 5 EB.

Personally, I am a bass-monster and listen to basically only Paul Oakenfold, but you can see my thread about that and the EB's:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144333

I am also on the hunt for the most-spectaular-in-your-face-over-the-top-crazy bass iem
smily_headphones1.gif
and the UE-Hybrid is just not even a possibility until im about 40:

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/i..._prod-951.html

how do people feel about the fit of custom iems vs. foamies in terms of purely and only bass? I would be very interested in your responses
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back