How long did it take to get used to your first IEM?
Nov 2, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider
I don't think that is true...inverse square law?

Distance makes a huge difference! 140 db SPL at 30 ft loses intensity over those 30 ft. 1/8th'' pretty much retains 100% intensity.

Lets do the math (please correct me if I am wrong, because I most likely am...I have percieved from articles that the dB decrease is a linear function while the distance is exponential):

1/8''=140 db (which is, by the way, EXTREMELY loud)

1/4'' = 134 db

1/2'' = 128 db and so forth, until we achieve 30 ft...

------------------

21 1/3 ' = 74

32 ' = 71 db?

This is possibly correct, please say if I am not.

Whatever the case, it stands that sound reduces intensity through distance.

I think he meant if you stand in the same place to measure it. As in speakers 1/8" from your ear measured from 1/8" away. Then measure from 32' away and turn it up until it is back at 140. You have to keep it at 140 for what he said to be true.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #32 of 41
It literally didn't take me any time at all to adjust to my first IEMs--they have always been extremely comfortable to me in comparison to normal earbuds. For a few months I worked in a woodshop and used earplugs, though, so I was pretty used to it. I ended up being a triflange guy with my ER-6is, and I actually ended up using Ety triflanges on my E4s, when I got them. (I've been without those for almost a month now, though, got new ones back today under warranty. A welcome change from the HD-600s I've been demoing
600smile.gif
)

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #33 of 41
Just using my new er4s for the first time today; so far they're not exactly uncomfortable but the feeling of the seal itself is a little disconcerting, like when your ears pop when changing altitudes in a plane. I'm using the triflanges, I got 'em in a trade and don't have any foamies. I'll see how I feel about them in a week
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #34 of 41
e2's to start, which i think are not uncomfortable in general. I have also used a LOT of medical device's over the years, so it was no biggie to accept the break-in experience.
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #35 of 41
It took a few hours to mess around with the seal and adjust myself...but it was a pretty short adjustment period.

However I still find that my jaws naturally open wider when I have IEMs plugged in.

Nov 2, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #36 of 41
Took me quite some time to get used to my ER-6i. When I first had them, they were so uncomfortable that I didn't go back to them for a week after taking them out of the box. A few sessions later, the discomfort went away as my ears adjusted to them. Now, I hardly even notice they're plugged in.

Then when I got the ER-4P, it was like second nature to use them. Don't give up. Instead, give them more time. The end results are more than worth your efforts.
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo7MN
For you guys using tri-flanges: If they hurt at first did they ever stop hurting? I figured out how to get a good seal, but it's very uncomfortable.

Hurt at first, figured out eventually I was putting them in wrong.

Took about a week to get used to have my ety-4S actually in my ears, but I will never get used to the feel of insertion. That said, If I don;t wear them for an extended period of time, I have to start the getting used to process again.

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #40 of 41
I never quite got used to my old ER-6i's. I think that frequency of use can be a huge factor. When I first got my super.fi's it took me about 2 days to get used to them, but then I didn't listen to them over a weekend and it took another day to get the hang of them again. With my ety's I wasn't using them quite every day, so it was much harder to get used to them. (incidentally, I recently tried them with some Shure tips and they seemed much easier to adjust to)

In my experience it can really depend on your ears, and the tip you use. I have unusual ear canals, (I got some comments about this from the audiologist who took my impressions for custom musician's ear plugs) so I'm probably on the more extreme end of the spectrum as far as fit goes. Almost everybody I've given either the ety's or the super.fi's to to try out gets them right almost instantly, whereas I had to struggle a bit.

Quick note regarding a first IEM purchase: the e2's may be better value. I've never heard them, but have heard several reports of satisfaction from my serious musician friends. By contrast, my roommate and I have both owned the ER-6i and we regularly talk about how terrible we think they are and what else we could have done with the money. Assuredly you should try out both, if you can, before committing.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 41
My UM1s are my first IEMs.

I got used to wearing them in about 20 minutes.
They never hurt me though. Just had to get used to being deaf to outside noises, and to hear my own heart beat (if I turn the music off). Much more comfortable than any "earbud" type I've ever used! (I've mostly used Sonys, Sennheiser and Apples.)

I first used the comfy pink "Conform" tips that came with the earphones. I used the short ones as the long version tended to creap out of my ears.

The sound improved A LOT as the earphones broke in! I left them on loud volume playing all night to help the process. A couple of nights should really make a difference! (And, no, they weren't in my ears.)

Today I swithed to Westones yellow foam tips, which are also short, but much thicker. They didnt look comfy at all, but are just perfect for my ear. Much better (deeper) bass now, and a mid range peak that was annoying is now completely gone! Also treble seems to extend better, and is more natural. (The pink foam plugs have a tapering sound-canal, which I guess must be detrimental to the sound...)

Now the sound is "big", like any good large headphone!

I suspect some of the negative reviews about IEMs are due to no break-in, and/or using unsuitable tips.

BTW, with the tips I'm using the entire UM1 is fully inside the outer ear. (And i don't have very big ears at all.)

The big drawback is the hustle when having to remove the UMTs, for example to talk to people. I might use my Sennheiser MX500s for such occasions.

(BTW, the MX500 too sounded much, much better after a break-in period, and they badly need being used with their foam covers!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back