How long can a cat live without food and water?
May 14, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 60
Yep, cats can survive much longer than most animals without food and water. The hepatic lipidosis that Gautama mentioned kicks in at about two weeks of starvation. It will resolve itself if the cat starts eating again. Occasionally though, the cat will refuse to eat because of the pain from hepatic lipidosis. This has a habit of killing the cat in question. Otherwise though, cats can easily survive weeks without food without any irreversible physical damage.

As for water, who knows. I've see a couple of studies that involve water deprivation on cats, and two weeks without water is survivable for cats. They have very efficient urinary systems and can survive water loss of about 10-15% of their body weight. For reference, normal water consumption for a cat is ~ 50 mL a day.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife's cat went a whole week when we were in Jamaica getting married. And no, we didn't do that on purpose. We actually paid someone to come over to feed her, but she wouldn't eat! The frickin' cat got depressed! I don't understand cats sometimes
rolleyes.gif
When we got back the cat was still alive, but she was in real bad shape. It took about $5K at the vet's office to bring her back to health! That's why my wife can never say anything about this little hobby of mine!

So...you got married AND got a present when you got home. Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 60
What an odd resurrection for a first post...

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to have a cat, but I have a dog at the moment........

I still love him though.

Unless your dog goes after cats you can get one. If your dog is OK with cats, take him to the shelter and have them introduce cats to both of you. You should be able to find one that likes both of you.

My dog was very gentle - he mostly wanted to get a smell and an occasional lick. A couple cats hated him, but two other ones were fine with that. They'd curl up and sleep together. And my cousins got a dog a couple months back that their cat is crazy about. They play and snuggle up together.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless your dog goes after cats you can get one. If your dog is OK with cats, take him to the shelter and have them introduce cats to both of you. You should be able to find one that likes both of you.

My dog was very gentle - he mostly wanted to get a smell and an occasional lick. A couple cats hated him, but two other ones were fine with that. They'd curl up and sleep together. And my cousins got a dog a couple months back that their cat is crazy about. They play and snuggle up together.

He sometimes wants to chase my neighbor's cat when I take him out for a walk, but I think its more a curiosity thing rather than wanting to attack them.

I got my dog from a shelter. He's been brilliant as a first dog.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..and even a bit off-topic!
Since his cats clearly don't live to 20 plus years without food and water, as this thread are about.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Quote:

Just thinking exactly the same thing

Quote:

..and even a bit off-topic!

Quote:

So none of you have ever seen this type of forum spam?

Spam post has been removed.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 60
my cat hasn't eaten since sunday nor had water.  vet gave some fluids on monday and that's it.  he refuses tuna or tuna water.  he's turned breatharian I think.  he seems fine.  a little weak but I'm the one in pain and who is a wreck.  I wish someone would actually answer the question of how long can a cat live without food or water of any kind.  Marvin's had the most direct answer of any i've found on google.  thank you for actually answering the question.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #43 of 60
Er, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your... cat. Not what we usually get with new members here, but I sure hope your kitty is OK. If you're also interested in headphones, please stick around and join the discussion. This is a good place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back