How is the Meelec M6 for running?
Mar 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bigandtall

100+ Head-Fier
It's finally warming up here on the east coast and I'm starting to get out and run again. I'm looking for some new headphones to get me going and I've been looking at the Meelec M6's. Anyone have good or bad experience doing real running with them? 

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 12
m6s have no microphonics and have a memory wire to guide them over the ear for a more stable fit. This makes them a good candidate. But there is a catch. I find the m6's to be very sensitive to fit and the fit with stock tips to be very unstable. Before I changed to sony hybrids, the sound was changing when I was walking with the only fit that works for me. sony hybrids changed that but i don't know what would happen if you run with them. but this fit issue does not have to happen to you, everybody's ears are different.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 12
I think for sports they are great.  Really good fit with the cable over the ears, chin slider and shirt clip there are no microphonics.  However sound wise they are nothing special, quite weak bass.  For normal listening I prefer my more expensive and heavier Denons which are known for very good bass so maybe unfair comparison.   For sports I am not that interested in sound quality anyway.  Having said that I have not experimented with the tips,  just put on the big ones and off I went.  With other tips they might sound better.  I think they are now $30 only.   

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 12
The M6 are great for running and stay where you put them.  As mentioned above, fit is critical and they can be sibilant with the wrong tips.  For the price you won't find anything better for the purpose.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 12
I think M6's are considered bassy IEMs. I personally find them bass heavy, especially coupled with uDAC or E5.

If you have a shallow insertion you get thin and sibilant sound. A little bit further, it gets less sibilant and you get a lot of bass. A bit further and oops you went too much and you get this muffled bass shadowing everything else. finding that middle region is a bit hard for me. But once there, it is not half bad.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I think for sports they are great.  Really good fit with the cable over the ears, chin slider and shirt clip there are no microphonics.  However sound wise they are nothing special, quite weak bass..   

You're kidding right? I think you better try some other tips and do a seal test before you try comparing the M6 to anything else again. The M6 is hardly weak when it comes to bass. In fact more often than not the bass is just too much and ends up bleeding into the mids. I don't think I will be alone when it comes to this conclusion.

As far as for running, I agree with the previous posters who say the fit might be a little too finnicky for an active sport like that. The cable won't be an issue, but the popping and sealing might.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Hey all, thanks for the info.. I just ordered a pair off of the for/sale board. Two more questions: 

1) if I get new tips, what should I go with? 

2) how's the mic on the inline mic model? (I got some with a mic). 

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 12
I hope you like them. if you can get a good stable fit, I think they might make good and cheap-almost disposable running partners, especially if you like bass heavy music.

1) you should try the stock tips first and try to get a good fit. easily available alternative tips are the sony hybrids which are well regarded here. I think shure olives fit them, too, but you want to double check that.

2) no idea.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 12
Quite good but for me the sweat from running consistently make them slip out of my ears sometimes.

Plus they are not sweat resistant and my M6's filters damaged within 2-3 months and the SQ became slightly muffled.

Never get anything for running unless they are sweat proof, or if you plan to replace your running gear periodically.

For anything active I recommend the Sennheiser Sport series.

In fact I'm about to make a thread some time soon about how EQ made my CX380 sound triple the price I got it for ($30) and I how prefer it over the M6 and the DBA-02. Not only do they sound great (with EQ) they stayed in my ear for the whole run session and are very comfortable. Although the fit is a mixed thing. For me it's great for others I hear people have issues with it.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

You're kidding right? I think you better try some other tips and do a seal test before you try comparing the M6 to anything else again. The M6 is hardly weak when it comes to bass. In fact more often than not the bass is just too much and ends up bleeding into the mids. I don't think I will be alone when it comes to this conclusion.

As far as for running, I agree with the previous posters who say the fit might be a little too finnicky for an active sport like that. The cable won't be an issue, but the popping and sealing might.

For bassheads the bass quantity isn't really as much as other people say they are. They have slightly less bass quantity than my Copper Pros.

Mar 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

Plus they are not sweat resistant and my M6's filters damaged within 2-3 months and the SQ became slightly muffled.

Never get anything for running unless they are sweat proof, or if you plan to replace your running gear periodically.

For anything active I recommend the Sennheiser Sport series.

In fact I'm about to make a thread some time soon about how EQ made my CX380 sound triple the price I got it for ($30) and I how prefer it over the M6 and the DBA-02. Not only do they sound great (with EQ) they stayed in my ear for the whole run session and are very comfortable. Although the fit is a mixed thing. For me it's great for others I hear people have issues with it.

I feel like any headphone used for running/sports has a limited lifespan. The combo of sweat and pressure from tugging the cord just take their toll rather quickly. I probably go through 2 sets of headphones a year. So, I'm not so worried if they konk out after a few months. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 12
I had a great experience running in these today. I'm going to need to give them a week or so before I can write a real review. However, I liked them a lot. They really stayed in place and while I'm still getting used to the sound, I thought that the iem's performed above their price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back