How is the jump from Sony XBA-1 to XBA-3?
Sep 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #31 of 44

An amp helps with the xba-3, but is not really required. The sansa may just need the volume cranked a bit higher, though I've no experience with that player. I paid about $180 for the XBA-3 and it was worth it to me at that price, so I would say you got a decent deal on it!

You can also tune the sound a bit by changing the amount of foam in the nozzle, check the appreciation thread for details if you're interested. Hope they work out for you, and happy listening!

thanks buddy.........but i am confused about impedance matching!!??

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #32 of 44
I have the XBA-3iP. Unless the output impedence of your player is very high, I don't think you will have problems. With the AK100, for example, the sound signature seems less warm, and vocals more recessed. I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on the crossover impedence issue. In my case, it helps to have a headphone amp. I don't know the output impedence of your sources, but I can't imagine either having as dramatic a problem as the AK100.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #33 of 44
I have the XBA-3iP. Unless the output impedence of your player is very high, I don't think you will have problems. With the AK100, for example, the sound signature seems less warm, and vocals more recessed. I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on the crossover impedence issue. In my case, it helps to have a headphone amp. I don't know the output impedence of your sources, but I can't imagine either having as dramatic a problem as the AK100.

sansa clip has output impedence of about 1 ohm

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #34 of 44
Output impedence around 1 or less shouldn't be a problem with any IEM or headphone. The XBA-3 is a great all-around IEM, and I enjoy the detail I can hear with it, and textured bass.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #35 of 44
Output impedence around 1 or less shouldn't be a problem with any IEM or headphone. The XBA-3 is a great all-around IEM, and I enjoy the detail I can hear with it, and textured bass.

thanks man,,,,i was worried i had made a wrong choice.

initially i wanted meelectronics a161p but the xba-3 price was irresistible!!

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 44

what about the metallic treble ppl are talking about??

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #37 of 44
A lot of that comes down to what kind of sound you prefer, the kinds of music you like, having really low bitrate MP3 files, not to mention all of the hardware reasons that can have an effect. I haven't noticed problems with harsh treble, but other people may be more sensitive to it. Sometimes people blame the headphones or their player, but the problem could also be how a song was mastered. Just one opinion among many, but I don't think you need to worry. Don't forget to enjoy the music!

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #38 of 44
thanks man..............i have mostly got a flac collection with some 320 kbps mp3 tracks

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #39 of 44
what are the other player options i have to use with xba-3??

that is players with low impedence of 1-2 ohm

pls suggest anything below 150$

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #41 of 44
thanks man but iphone 5 will cost like 650$ and i am not prepared for that,,,lol

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #42 of 44
i just noticed that max output performance of xba-3 is rated at 100mw!!!

but clip+ has max value of like 15mw!!

so how does this player be good for xba-3??

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #43 of 44
  i just noticed that max output performance of xba-3 is rated at 100mw!!!

but clip+ has max value of like 15mw!!

so how does this player be good for xba-3??

It doesnt' NEED that much power, that's just what it can take for output. If you feel you need more power you can get a small headphone amp.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 44
I own XBA-30 and XBA-1 but I prefer XBA-1 because of its laid-back nature. I maintain at lower volume on my sansa clip+ (at 4 volume bar on "normal" setting) and I still can truly enjoy the detail it gives. Bass is still punchy and tight although it's under emphasized. The treble....I love it. It  is very inoffensive and avoids harsh cymbal crashes and nail screeches of XBA-30. I find XBA-1 is perfect companion when I'm relaxing or studying so the sound would not distract me. However, If I cranked the volume up, its sound really hurts my ear, like the sibilance thingie? It's hard to describe but I think XBA-1 is made to be heard at low volume. 

I find more improvement from XBA-30. Sound spacious, extended treble and impactful bass. The mid is still mellow and sweet like that XBA-1. BUT the treble kills my ears when it comes to cymbal and hi-hats screeches or anything that sounds tssstsss tsss. I thought XBA-30 has fixed the metallic sound from XBA-3 high but I'm surprised that the treble still offend me. I can't think how painful the treble coming from XBA-3 is. Its sound can be exciting at first, but it fatigues my ears more quickly than XBA-1. It just reminds me of klipsch S4 which I dislike for harsh yet sibilant treble ( and focuses on tsss tsss sound too). I wish the treble would bring more focus on the vocal and guitar sound instead. 

More importantly, XBA-1 has the edge because it isolates far better than XBA-30 due to its barrel shape instead of the "vertical" shape of XBA-30. XBA-1 and XBA-30 must not be paired with the stock tips because the sony's hybrid tips have tendency to suck one's ears REAL bad when inserted deeply then removed. I use V-moda vibrato medium tips and it isolates significantly better, even more than W4, klipsch x10, and UM3x. Meanwhile, XBA-30 can be paired with Gr07's hybrid tips, which look like sony's, and they're less prone of suction, much comfortable, and has bigger bore than the sony. I suggest to use the purple GR07 hybrid tips, which is extra large, to avoid the splashy treble XBA-30 gives.

I bought XBA-30 for $130 from one of head-fier here, and I'd say, neither impressed nor disappointed. I'd be disappointed if I paid full price for $180 on ebay/amazon.When I first had XBA-1 for $48 from best buy clearance, I was greatly disappointed . But, it took me around 2-4 months to start appreciate its sound and I even prefer it even more than the more priced IEM I have. So, I believe this apply to XBA-30 so hopefully I would love this IEM just like XBA-1 in the future.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back