How is the jump from Sony XBA-1 to XBA-3?
Dec 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 44
I think the difference is huge. When I used tf10s and listened to the xba3's i thought they were similar, the xba3 a but neutral compared to tf10s but enjoyable. Then I put on xba1's for a quick try but couldnt stand it and took them off

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:
I just got the 1's and for $100 am extremely impressed! I hear the 3's are the best of the bunch, how big is the gap in SQ between all 4?

Is is possible to return those? for $100 it's not quite worth the price, I managed to bargain the XBA-1 for about $60 and the XBA-2 for $98 which i bought for my friend.
I listened to the XBA-3 and was really impressed with them, very smooth and overall pleasant sound. More coloured than the W4 but in a good way.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 44
Keep in mind im no audiophile so maybe the difference wont be THAT huge to me, also I got the one with the iphone mic for $97 total, not bad imo.

I love these so far, the sound, the look, the comfort, isolation, fantastic!

I really wish there was a way to test them out, if they are THAT good I'd be willing to drop the money on the three's but with no hands on listening Im going in blind, which I juat cant do.

I recently sold the R-50 and I like these better in all the aspects I posted above, supee impressed with Sony.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 44
I got the 2's on a black friday sale. I haven't been able to compare them the other xba's, however was disapointed when compared to other sub $200 IEM's. They perform as well as a good sub $100 IEM.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 44
Jan 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 44
Ok moment of truth guys, is the difference really that substantial? I can get the 3's for a good deal right now but im just not sure, I am using an iPhone 5, is that enough? If they just sound a "bit" better than the 1's then its not worth it for me.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 44
Does anyone know how the XBA-3 compares to more well known double/triple IEM's? (DBA-02, Westone 3, Triple fi 10's, or top tier dynamics such as the Vsonic GR-07).

Thanks,

Mclover

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:
Does anyone know how the XBA-3 compares to more well known double/triple IEM's? (DBA-02, Westone 3, Triple fi 10's, or top tier dynamics such as the Vsonic GR-07).

Thanks,

Mclover

TF10 is more V-shaped than the relatively balanced XBA-3. TF10 has a MUCH more aggressive treble which is sensitive to harshness and sibilance, but it extends better than the safer XBA-3. Low end is also much better on the TF10; Sub-bass has lower extension. Mids on TF10 are more recessed than the XBA-3, which has a fuller and more embodied midrange. I prefer the T10 here.

B2 (DBA-02 clone) is analytical and flatter than the XBA-3. B2 extends nicely low and is quite tight, but not as well as the XBA-3, which have an impressive impact. Both have a good, full midrange, but the B2 have better clarity. At the top, B2 wins at detail and extension, but has a sparkly treble that WILL point out harshness and sibilance unlike the calmer XBA-3. I prefer the B2 here.

Quote:
Ok moment of truth guys, is the difference really that substantial? I can get the 3's for a good deal right now but im just not sure, I am using an iPhone 5, is that enough? If they just sound a "bit" better than the 1's then its not worth it for me.

XBA-1 has smooth, detailed mids, but the less impressive lower and upper extension yields to the XBA-3's extension. XBA-3 has a much better low extension and impact (although yielding to its big brother XBA-4) and has a great treble presence, yet refrains from being harsh. The mids, unlike the XBA-4, are more neutral and less recessed. XBA-3 has a metalic timbre and sounds noticeably less natural than the XBA-1. However, as djvkool says, if you can get the XBA-3 for a good enough deal, go for it; also, if you find the XBA-1 for under 50, that also would pose as a tempting deal. IMO, the price gap between the 1 and 3 should be at most $100, and if anymore, I would go for the XBA-1 or look at other options. And the iPhone 5 is enough for driving the whole XBA spectrum, no amp necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back