how important are interconnects?
Jul 25, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a high-end system, interconnects can be used as tweaks, but for such a system as yours, you won't hear any perceptible difference. Stick with the basic stuff. A good rule of thumb is to take 10% the cost of your amp or source (whichever is higher) and use that amount or less on interconnects.

I have to agree with Asr here: no need to spend on an interconnect that cost as much as your amp. But if you're set on getting one, I'd go with Signal IC

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure do!
Been loving it for 3 months so far...
lambda.gif

They say those poema cables are much like Nordost cables soundwise.

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. But it did have an amazingly black background
wink.gif

Fair enough!
Interconnects are important in the meaning that you need them to get any sound at all.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say those poema cables are much like Nordost cables soundwise.

Might be.
Never tried any of Nordost' cables, and few other brands as well.

But the Poiema!!! are definitely a keeper. Very well built and sounds awesome to my ears. ExLGII™ (virgin) silver and natural isolation are clearly the way to go.
lambda.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #34 of 57
my IC still hasnt come yet. which makes me curious considering i got an email from Practical Devices that it shipped out July 22nd via USPS airmail and then priority.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #35 of 57
I say to buy decent cables that are well made and better than the crap that comes stock with a Cd player.....but buying the right match is better than spending alot on cables. Sometimes a well matched $50 cable will sound better than an ill matched $1000 cable. DIY them and save some money. Alot of people are happy with Canare Starquads DIY'd, or Blue Jeans Cables,which are said to be reasonable values.
Other people use Cat5 or Cat6 DIY'd,,or Belden Microphone cable also.

Cable is the last thing you do after running out of componants to upgrade. Its just a tweek. Expensive cables on an inexpensive setup is like putting $5000 rims on a used cheap car.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expensive cables on an inexpensive setup is like putting $5000 rims on a used cheap car.

which look friggin sweet and are always good for a laugh.

Jul 28, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #37 of 57
Chris,

Be sure to let us know how you like the Practical Devices mini-to-mini. It's reasonably priced, and looks like a solid cable which will hold up under the rigors of portable use (thrown into a backpack with lotsa other stuff). All we need now is to know how it sounds (nudge, nudge ...)

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #38 of 57
well uhh unless you have like a week and a half to spare waiting for it to fcking SHIP, then yeah.

it turns out my ZUNE REPLACEMENT has been negotiated sooner than the interconnect.

its coming on thursday.

EEK!

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #39 of 57
Signal cable, Bluejeans Cable, Cat5, Belden DIY cables, are all inexpensive and good quality options. I have the C&C Crystal cable, and i like the look, but really i dont hear alot of difference if any over my RadioShack grey cheapie 12" interconnect on my portable system through Grado SR80 or any of my cans really. I do have a little bit of hearing damage,but usually i can hear changes in things fine, unless the RadioShack cable sounds better than i thought?
Im using it mostly with a Zune > C&C Crystal Cable > C&C Box+ > IGrados.

I can definately see buying better cable than the cheapies that come with most componants,but you need a really good system to bother with more expensive tweeks that yield results with diminishing returns in monotary value.

Im going to try making my own inexpensively using cheap bulk CAT5 cable.

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Signal cable, Bluejeans Cable, Cat5, Belden DIY cables, are all inexpensive and good quality options. I have the C&C Crystal cable, and i like the look, but really i dont hear alot of difference if any over my RadioShack grey cheapie 12" interconnect on my portable system through Grado SR80 or any of my cans really. I do have a little bit of hearing damage,but usually i can hear changes in things fine, unless the RadioShack cable sounds better than i thought?
Im using it mostly with a Zune > C&C Crystal Cable > C&C Box+ > IGrados.

I can definately see buying better cable than the cheapies that come with most componants,but you need a really good system to bother with more expensive tweeks that yield results with diminishing returns in monotary value.

Im going to try making my own inexpensively using cheap bulk CAT5 cable.

Everybody knows it's not about return for your money, it's the dot on the i, the last of the 5%.

I have to admit that some cables do make much more of a difference then the last 5%.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody knows it's not about return for your money, it's the dot on the i

That's being obsessive, not being an audiophile. An audiophile simply wants the best sound possible. That requires putting your resources into areas that really count and not wasting time with what doesn't count. Ultimately, it's the music that matters.

As long as cables are well made, they perform just like every other cable. This is a fact. No need to spend more than $10 on a cable. I get mine at Radio Shack and they work just as well the big thick ones with fancy cloth coverings. No difference.

See ya
Steve

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chris,

Be sure to let us know how you like the Practical Devices mini-to-mini. It's reasonably priced, and looks like a solid cable which will hold up under the rigors of portable use (thrown into a backpack with lotsa other stuff). All we need now is to know how it sounds (nudge, nudge ...)

I'm also interested to see how the Practical Devices IC is working out, as I'm in the market for a new mini-mini and had been looking at that as a relatively cheap option.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #43 of 57
Okay, I just purchased a iBasso D1 dac/amp-----$252 delivered. Ipod 60 gb say another $250, so we have roughly $500. Need a Ipod dock to mini. If 10% is recommended what cable do you recommend? Even if we go to 20% thats $100 max.

I cannot find Fitz cable inter=connects. What is the website?

I been in touch with Alex of Pure sound and he has a dock cable with cotton for $97 delivered.

Regards,

Timber Man

I just started with the headphone addiction. Last month the iBasso D1 to go with a pair of 10 plus year old Sony CD 3000 headphones and an Apple MacBook Pro.

On the wish list ---Shure 530, Badda ph-12 amp, and perhaps a 701.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #44 of 57
Look for pure silver cables. Significant upgrade to quality copper cables. Maybe silver plated copper will work too, but I haven't tried it. Don't think about the cost percentage, just buy cheap and good silver cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #45 of 57
If you care about how your interconnects look (the word "sexy" is used frequently...hey, whatever floats your boat) then by all means you should buy the ones that look the best to you!

If you're just interested in sound, it doesn't make a bit of difference. And there has never been a peer-reviewed, double-blind study that says it does.

For more, this and this are good starting points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back