How I Went from 'Disappointed with HD600' to 'HD600-liciously Happy!' 🎶
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #16 of 109
I feel this way about the OG HD800 as well... sometimes it sounds lifeless. Right amp/dac, it sounds like a $3000 headphone.
I believe this is what makes the HD800(S) or Sennheiser so captivating—its sound is pure and straightforward, providing a genuine reflection of the equipment's sound. Of course, it always leads to the desire to make a upgrade on amp/dac.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 109
As many have already mentioned, the high (300 ohms) impedance of the HD600 definitely requires an amp for it to sound good. I also agree that an OTL amp is the way to go. That being said, for my personal tastes, I find the HD600 to be kinda boring to listen to and it's narrow stage and clamp force make it an almost in-your-head and possibly uncomfortable listen.

If buying an OTL amp and investing in good tubes is more than you are willing to do to get the HD600 to sound the way it was intended to sound, I would recommend researching low impedance/high sensitivity headphones, all of which can be driven by a PC, though even those headphones will benefit from some sort of amp/DAC.

Knowing your budget and the genres of music you enjoy would help get you headphone recommendations from others.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 109
HD600 has about 4dB more bass than the PC360, across the entire bass range.

(Green = HD600)
(Purple = PC360)

It doesn't appear to be a big difference, but it is.
This will significantly contribute to a different sound profile, effectively boosting upper mids and treble; and one is easily fooled into thinking that a less bassy headphone is more detailed, because having the upper mids and treble simply 'stick out' a lot more, as they are more 'forced upon you', it sounds more detailed, when in fact, it's just a 'leaner' sound.
1695839088642.png

The HD600 is the 'more correct' of the two headphones, so it could be just a matter of not being able to hear all those details as up-front as you expect.

Also the PC360 is closed-back, so it has the double effect of isolating you more from any possible outer interference, allowing you to focus more easily on the recording.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 109
You need an amp buddy. I can get way beyond regular volume on HD650 plugged directly to Mac, but it sounds dead. Get at least a budget amp for them and see for yourself though HD600/650 scale even more with OTL amps

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #20 of 109
My experience with HD600 is that while they are famous for doing best off high end amplifiers they do sound very good even off rather more modest amps. I believe Mac Book or otherwise the HD600 are going to have a certain character that is unlikely to change dramatically with any amplifier that is in a realistic budget for someone that isn’t deep in the headphone music hobby already.

I suspect the problem lies not with the HD600 being bad or not at their best off a Mac Book but solely with the fact that our chap has been listening to the same headphones for 5 years and that is simply the sound that he knows. That is he is so used to it that anything else will immediately sound wrong even if it is technically more right.

I have no idea what the PC360 sound like so I have no clue what is going to be a more similar replacement option.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 109
Thank you, everyone. I'm based in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.

My musical tastes are quite eclectic, spanning a wide range. While I have a penchant for classical, jazz, and electronic genres like Kraftwerk, I also enjoy artists as varied as Chris LeDoux and Johnny Cash. Perhaps I'm a bit of an audio generalist!

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 109

(Green = HD600)
(Purple = PC360)

It doesn't appear to be a big difference, but it is.
This will significantly contribute to a different sound profile, effectively boosting upper mids and treble; and one is easily fooled into thinking that a less bassy headphone is more detailed, because having the upper mids and treble simply 'stick out' a lot more, as they are more 'forced upon you', it sounds more detailed, when in fact, it's just a 'leaner' sound.
1695839088642.png

The HD600 is the 'more correct' of the two headphones, so it could be just a matter of not being able to hear all those details as up-front as you expect.

Also the PC360 is closed-back, so it has the double effect of isolating you more from any possible outer interference, allowing you to focus more easily on the recording.
The PC360s are open. Just ask my wife about it, she will confirm :). How did you make that graph? I wonder if I can make one using my 3DIO FS XLR mic?

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 109
As many have already mentioned, the high (300 ohms) impedance of the HD600 definitely requires an amp for it to sound good. ...
Yes, the HD600 have relatively low voltage sensitivity, so they need an amp having higher output voltage. They are a high impedance fairly easy to drive load, reasonably efficient. They just need more voltage than most portable devices can deliver.

Agreed. Some speakers & headphones make an impressive first impression as they throw detail in your face. Yet they become fatiguing with extended listening. The HD600 doesn't do that. It is well balanced. The detail is there but it's more natural and more subtle. Takes some time to get used to that.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 109
Perhaps I'm a bit of an audio generalist
Yeah, it sounds to me like you're in the market for an all-arounder, master of none headphone.
The PC360s are open. Just ask my wife about it, she will confirm
If bothering your wife is a concern, then perhaps you'd be best off getting a closed back. I've not heard the PC360, but if it has less bass than the HD600, it must be quite bass light. Neutral closed backs are a bit uncommon in my experience, but if you research low impedance (32 ohms typically) and high sensitivity (97-110) headphones you might be able to find something that will suit your needs.

The only neutral closed back I can think of is the Dan Clark Aeon Flow closed, but that is more $ than the HD600 and that too needs an amp. What's your budget?

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #25 of 109
How long have you been using the HD600 ?

It seems they are technically better than the PC360 despite that they don't immediately impress you.

If you haven't been using them long perhaps give them a few weeks, your brain will "burn in" to the sound. Since that sound is technically more correct that seems like a good thing to me, like you are undoing having got accustomed to something technically not as good and now relearning what is more correct. Your brain will take some retuning but it will retune.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #26 of 109
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #27 of 109
I agree with everything said thus far.

The HD600 can be excellent paired with the right source. It has detail but is non fatiguing. And you should spend more time with them.

If closed back becomes the need, it's another story.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 109
The general recommendation seems to point towards upgrading my audio source.

While I don't have a set budget, I prioritize sound quality and avoid needless extravagance. Given that I already own the headphones, my logical next step appears to be finding a superior audio source component. For someone who's entirely new to amps and related gear, where should I begin? I'm aiming for a product that balances quality with a sensible price. To put it plainly, if the audio difference is negligible, I'd rather not spend an extra $3,000.

I ventured here after my PC360s gave out. Given Sennheiser's stellar reputation and the impression they left on me, I was hoping to find a worthy successor or even an upgrade.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 109
The general recommendation seems to point towards upgrading my audio source.
Well, yeah... a source will benefit most headphones you get down the line. But also look where the advice is coming from... we're experts at spending money here.

While I think you should still spend some more time with the HD600, only you know what you like.

If you don't love them, don't keep them just because we're telling you they're great. Venture out, explore more headphones.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #30 of 109
A very inexpensive way to try the HD600 with some serious power is the VE Megatron. It's a DAC (digital audio converter)/Amp and it costs all of $56 shipped to the USA. I use it with my 470 ohm ATH-R70X and it's excellent. There are links to pro reviews on the order page.

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

The Megatron is about the size of a cigarette pack or external hard drive. It has a metal case but it's much lighter than it looks because there's no battery inside. It draws USB power from a laptop or a phone (USB-C). It doesn't have a volume control like most headphone amps; you control the volume from the source.

Don't go down the $$$ tube-amp rabbit hole before you've tried some no-frills power. And if it turns out you still don't like the HD600, the Megatron will power just about everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back