How I Went from 'Disappointed with HD600' to 'HD600-liciously Happy!' 🎶
Sep 27, 2023 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

dbmathis

Head-Fier
In 2018, my company gifted me a PC360 Headset. I was consistently impressed with the sound quality when using it with my Apple MacBook and Mac Mini. I remember thinking, "Sennheiser's audio quality is unparalleled. If I ever get a high-end pair from them, I'll be overwhelmed with emotion."

Recently, my PC360s gave out, so I decided to upgrade to the HD600. I was eager to try them out, given my past experience. To my surprise, they didn't live up to my expectations. I record 32-bit, 48kHz audio during my outdoor walks, and with the PC360s, it was hard to differentiate between reality and the playback. Listening to live recordings felt like being present at the event; I could discern every minor detail, be it a sneeze or a cough. With the HD600s, however, the experience felt akin to using a low-quality headset from decades ago. Did I receive a counterfeit pair from Amazon?

Currently, I'm using them with a new MacBook Pro. Some sources suggest that an amplifier and DAC might optimize the performance, but others say a MacBook should suffice.

Considering my basic understanding of headphone technology, I'm left wondering: would I be better off returning the HD 600s? Or can I enhance their performance with the right amp/DAC? My main goal is to have headphones that faithfully reproduce my binaural recordings, and I'll occasionally use them for music listening.

Honestly, I'm quite let down. Does anyone have insights or suggestions?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 109
The HD600 would definitely benefit from an external DAC/Amp - the new Fiio K11 might be worth looking at

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 109
How much time have you actually spent listening to the HD600? They will benefit from an amp/dac but it might not be enough for you to love them. It's just possible you prefer a different sound and different headphones would be a better fit, nothing wrong with that.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 109
Thank you for your insights. I've spent a limited amount of time with the HD600, but I've realized that I might have a preference for the sound profile I experienced with the PC360, assuming the HD600s are not a lemon, fake or need the amp/dac. If by any chance you're familiar with the PC360's sound signature, could you recommend headphones that might offer a similar experience? If not, no worries. Just thought I'd ask!

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 109
I haven't heard the PC360--I think it shares the same drivers as some other Senns. 558 maybe?

From your original post, it sounds to me like you're looking for something with a little more upper mid/treble sparkle.

If that's correct, what's your budget for headphones and amp/dac, if necessary. If you'd prefer not to get an amp, then there are still options, just something we'd need to know.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 109
I haven't heard the PC360--I think it shares the same drivers as some other Senns. 558 maybe?

From your original post, it sounds to me like you're looking for something with a little more upper mid/treble sparkle.

If that's correct, what's your budget for headphones and amp/dac, if necessary. If you'd prefer not to get an amp, then there are still options, just something we'd need to know.
Thank you for the input. The PC360s are an older Sennheiser headset model.

From your description, I'm not sure what I prefer in headphones. I don't have much experience other than the PC360s are the best I've ever heard and worked for my needs. I thought maybe a higher end model of Sennheiser might be even better.

As for the budget, there isn't a strict limit, but I'm always conscious about not spending excessively without good reason. If an amp/DAC would significantly enhance the experience, I'm open to considering it or even swapping for a different headphone.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 109
The HD 600s absolutely need more power than any PC soundcard can provide. If you're looking for an amp specifically for this pair of headphones, consider an OTL tube amp like a used Valhalla 2, or a solid state amp that can deliver at least 15V into a 300 ohm load. When underpowered they're flat and lifeless.

These headphones are not headset headphones, they're optimized to deliver very true tonality for mid-centric music like acoustic, vocals, etc. They scale greatly with good amps, many people use them with amps costing $1,000 or more.

-1 from me regarding anything from FiiO. -2 if somebody suggests using it with a pair of HD 600s.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 109
I agree with my buddy @gimmeheadroom -- the HD600 will scale with an OTL and certain SS amps. Many look to the Bottlehead Crack for it, and it's an excellent pairing.

But I think if you don't like the general sound of them, an amp won't improve them to the point where you love them.

What city are you in? Is CanJam a possibility?

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 109
I agree with my buddy @gimmeheadroom -- the HD600 will scale with an OTL and certain SS amps. Many look to the Bottlehead Crack for it, and it's an excellent pairing.
I forgot about that one since they're kind of unobtanium in Europe. Great suggestion :)

But I think if you don't like the general sound of them, an amp won't improve them to the point where you love them.
I think it's too early for that, he hasn't told us what kind of music he listens to. The only info we have now is ambient recordings from walks. For that you don't need a lot of what real headphones can provide.

What city are you in? Is CanJam a possibility?
Another good suggestion :)

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 109
Due to its relatively high impedance of 300Ω, the HD600 surpasses the capabilities of a standard PC audio output I think. It's an excellent headphone, particularly well-suited for classical music enthusiasts. So it may just not cater to your preferred music genres.
To be honest, most Hi-fi headphones benefit from having an amp/dac to enhance their sound quality.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 109
HD 600 is rated at 300 ohms and 97dBV sensitivity- which is around 102+ dBm but people who have plotted the impedance show graphs where it can vary quite a bit higher depending on frequecy. They're fairly sensitive but due to the high impedance they need voltage.

I've heard them out of no less than 15 devices and amps and if there was ever a chameleon pair of headphones this is it. They go from crap to AMAZING depending on how much clean power you throw at them.

Out of a Phonitor 2 or V280/281 with appropriate material, they sound like they're worth 10X the price. Out of a PC they sound like they're worth 1/10th of the price...

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 109
I've heard them out of no less than 15 devices and amps and if there was ever a chameleon pair of headphones this is it. They go from crap to AMAZING depending on how much clean power you throw at them.
I feel this way about the OG HD800 as well... sometimes it sounds lifeless. Right amp/dac, it sounds like a $3000 headphone.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 109
I feel this way about the OG HD800 as well... sometimes it sounds lifeless. Right amp/dac, it sounds like a $3000 headphone.
I don't have an OTL worthy of the HD 800s, out of my Valhalla 2 a lot of midrange slop showed up that was not audible on a pair of HD 600s. But, the Phonitor 2 is magic sauce for a pair of HD 800s (not S). The amp is just warm enough that the treble peak just disappears. And, it's one of the few cans I can hear the Matrix adjustments very clearly on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back