How I built an iPod Connector
Sep 27, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #46 of 106
I recommend getting the blank iPod dock connector from Ridax. Even though it's from Sweden, shipping to the US is very fast. No affiliations, just a happy customer here.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #47 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to build one LOD for my 4G ipod.

I will buy the ipod dock connectors from Qables(From Europe, Is there any dealer in USA?) and braided sleeving, but my headache is how to shield the cable if I use silver wire+Teflon tube?

On such a short run shielding is not really required. None of mine were sheilded and I didn't notic any noise. The ALO ones are not shielded either.

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #48 of 106
I'm planning to place an order with Ridax. I was going to get the T. iPod dock connector plug - ultra thin/black. Is this the only part I will need from them? I don't really see where the Female iPod receptacles or PCB mounted iPod connectors comes in to play.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #49 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On such a short run shielding is not really required. None of mine were sheilded and I didn't notic any noise. The ALO ones are not shielded either.

Thanks! If my Kimber TSS cable does not fit, then I will use 22AWG silver one.

Just placed the order at Qables........Shipping is USD3.87, not bad.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #50 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning to place an order with Ridax. I was going to get the T. iPod dock connector plug - ultra thin/black. Is this the only part I will need from them? I don't really see where the Female iPod receptacles or PCB mounted iPod connectors comes in to play.

The dock connector you mention will work and is all that you need. Keep in mind though, working with those ultra thin connectors is even more tricky since you have so little room to work with. Incorporating strain relief is paramount and the less room you have to work with the more challenging it is to do this. I would recommend you order at least a couple just in case something goes wrong.

I agree - I can't think of what you would use that female connector for. However, the PCB mounted ones are very handy. I'm working with another Head-Fi'er to create our own docking stations. Though I didn't get the ones from Ridax, having a PCB mounted connector gives us some flexibility in mounting it inside the wood docking station. It also is much easier to experiment wiring it up with various caps (I have a 5 gen iMod) and trying out the USB interface. His station will have a 1/8" jack while mine will have RCA outs. Both will have a USB jack for charging.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #51 of 106
So, I appreciate the DIY, but what is the advantage of this?

I assume it is to have a true line-out, as opposed to the headphone jack, yes?

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #52 of 106
Oh, for those of you that would like to try to make one for the Zune, HERE'S the info you'd need.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #53 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I appreciate the DIY, but what is the advantage of this?

I assume it is to have a true line-out, as opposed to the headphone jack, yes?

Yes, this is the primary reason. Also, for the 5 gen iMods you need it with caps in the signal path.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #54 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this is the primary reason. Also, for the 5 gen iMods you need it with caps in the signal path.

Could you elaborate on the caps? I assume that they're wired from signal to ground. What type of caps and what value?

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #55 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree - I can't think of what you would use that female connector for. However, the PCB mounted ones are very handy.

The female connectors are quite popular, although not as popular as the male versions of course. The female connectors are used by people that want to connect to an iPod ACCESSORY rather than to the iPod itself, or by those brave men (and women) that want to make an extension cable...
basshead.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #56 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1960 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you elaborate on the caps? I assume that they're wired from signal to ground. What type of caps and what value?

i thought the soldering scheme of Caps is similar to resistors?

ie: solder 1 cap to the L channel, 1 cap to the R channel?
-no need to ground caps?

please clarify
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back