How I built an iPod Connector
Dec 30, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #77 of 106
Hows about you spend another five mins on the same website and look at the DIY section?

heh.

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #78 of 106
Sorry J.D.N.

I only saw the connector. I figured since they're making ready made cables they wouldn't want to sell proprietary parts. My mistake. I'll go there again.

Thanks for your patience.
redface.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #80 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzodhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry J.D.N.

I only saw the connector. I figured since they're making ready made cables they wouldn't want to sell proprietary parts. My mistake. I'll go there again.

Thanks for your patience.
redface.gif

Ahhh, didnt quite mean to sound like a Pr**k, apologise.

Hans is amazing, ask in the comments on the order page and he will send you a wiring dig for the iPod. In a nice word Doc, can print it out nice and big then. (I think i still check 3/4 times every time i make a connector)

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #81 of 106
No worries. I'm grateful to everyone here for their help.

I'm trying to figure out which connector would be best. I like that the thin are shielded. The thicker one is not but has the ability to have the strain relief.

What do all of you use?

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #82 of 106
I use the thin shielded ones, even in my car which get pulled about.

I use Canare Star Quad most of the time. I've found you can get about 1/4" of cable inside the connector with plenty of room to wire it up. Then i use a combination of silicon and superglue to totally fill the connector. (Obviously after i check it works!) And stick it in a vice over night. Seems solid to me.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #83 of 106
Has anyone here used the standard Apple dock cable instead of the separate standalone dock connector? I can't figure out how to open the casing of the standard Apple cable without breaking it.

I know that the connectors that you order online are much cheaper than using the Apple cables, but I have an extra one that I really don't need and plus I need to have a LOD made by tomorrow. Thanks for any input!

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #84 of 106
Brilliant. I'll do the same recipe for the connector. That should fix things. Have any of you guys tried any high end plugs like Eichmann or WBT?

Do you guys like Canare Star Quad over say Mogami wire?

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #85 of 106
I've never used Mogami, couldn't find it. Canare seems to do a great job. I have experimented with braided, but it was too stiff and not as secure in the connector.

I remember reading somewhere you should use the white cables as the ground. Have no idea why.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #86 of 106
I usually use a special wire that I braid although it would be ok at home not such a good idea in the car. Mogami is available at Pacific Radio in Los Angeles. They supply all the recording studios. A ex recording engineer turned me onto it. I haven't listened to it compare to what I use for home gear.

Just ordered the connectors and splitters only to find he's on vacation until the 8th which is when I have to leave for CES. Something to look forward to when I get back.

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #88 of 106
Jan 9, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #90 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my noob question
frown.gif

How can I build an LOD-3.5mm interconnect with this tutorial?
I mean I don't want to use this LOD and another 3.5-3.5 IC.

You can either get an existing 3.5mm stereo cable and cut one end off and solder onto the appropriate pins, or get some 4 core cable and connect one end to the connector and the other to a 3.5mm plug.

Check the How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back