How I built an iPod Connector
Jan 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #91 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can either get an existing 3.5mm stereo cable and cut one end off and solder onto the appropriate pins, or get some 4 core cable and connect one end to the connector and the other to a 3.5mm plug.

Check the How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics

Yes I know this.
But what I have trouble is which pins should I solder my cable to ? And .. how ?
redface.gif
redface.gif
my noob

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #93 of 106
Jan 10, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #94 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I know this.

be more specific with your first questions then.

Quote:

But what I have trouble is which pins should I solder my cable to ? And .. how ?
redface.gif
redface.gif
my noob

Everything you needed to know is in this thread or the link I posted.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #96 of 106
Has anyone made a iPod LOD that has a female mini jack and a usb mini jack at the sametime? Of course the purpose of this is the ability to charge while listening to music.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #98 of 106
A little confused. I just got my connectors in from Qables. On the net there are completing conflicting diagram as to what is pin 1 and which should be used for what. Wiki says pin 27,28,29 are used for LO R/L/G It also says pin 1 is located to the far left when facing the connector with the leads on the bottom. While on the backside that tab with the hole drilled into it is one top.

The original post say 2/3/4 used with 2=G 3=R 4=L

If reversed that would mean he's using pin 29=G/ 28=R/ 27=L

Another source here shows pin 1 at the opposite side of the connector and different pins used. Apple iPod dock interface pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

Would someone be kind enough to clear this up?

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #99 of 106
This thread has pictures showing exactly which pins to use, and it's all true:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...nector-212740/

Don't worry about the numbers, just use the pins shown. Hundreds of people have used the pins from Page 1 and it's worked everytime!

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #101 of 106
In no contradiction to stevelkelbys advice at all (it worked for me too, and I still look at that page every time, to be certain :p )

The pinouts.ru page says:
"If you disassemble the original apple-ipod-dock-connector-cable and look at the connector itself, on the back side, where it is soldered, you can see the number 1 and 30 (e.g. pin 1 and 30). In this description NUMBERING is INVERSED: pin 1 is pin 30 and pin 30 is pin 2, so, don't look at numbers on connector."

I guess that the original numbering started out of some convenience at the time, but since it was conflicting with the internal numbering, things got switched.. The Dock Connector @ wikiPodLinux page has the correct pinout numbering and a little pic that shows you what side it starts at. But again, like stevenkelby says, just go to How I built an iPod Connector, page 1 and avoid any confusion. (hehe, we're already here.. then.. just page 1
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #102 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzodhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little confused. I just got my connectors in from Qables. On the net there are completing conflicting diagram as to what is pin 1 and which should be used for what. Wiki says pin 27,28,29 are used for LO R/L/G It also says pin 1 is located to the far left when facing the connector with the leads on the bottom. While on the backside that tab with the hole drilled into it is one top.

The original post say 2/3/4 used with 2=G 3=R 4=L

If reversed that would mean he's using pin 29=G/ 28=R/ 27=L

Another source here shows pin 1 at the opposite side of the connector and different pins used. Apple iPod dock interface pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

Would someone be kind enough to clear this up?

They are certainly pins 2,3 & 4.

This is where I got the original pinouts from (I'm sure it has been linked to several time already in this thread - but never enough links to such valuable information)
Apple iPod dock interface pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

3 confirmations - it must be true
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #103 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone made a iPod LOD that has a female mini jack and a usb mini jack at the sametime? Of course the purpose of this is the ability to charge while listening to music.

I haven't yet, but will be in March some time. See post #88 for all the info you need to build one.

About the pins to use

The LOD connector has two little ridges in it on one side, so it can only be inserted into the iPod on way round. If you put the connector on a table with the ridges facing down and then count from left to right, you will get the right pins.

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #104 of 106
Thanks for the tutorial. Where can I get a cable to make an LOD? what about the Ipod connector. I am looking for a U.S store online... hmmm.

Thakns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back