How has your musical taste changes as you grow older?
Aug 12, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 68
age 5-13: mostly classical (because my parents made me and for band) and pop/rock/rap.
14-15: video game music/j-pop/mainstream techno/rock stuff
16-18: alt rock/hard rock/metal/punk/more video game music/film soundtracks
19-21(now): re-discovering classical/re-discovering hip-hop/finally trying jazz and whatever it says I listen to in my profile.

The more I listen to music the more genre doesen't matter. Whatever is good is good
icon10.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kampfy
Question: How is it that you managed to like Fall Out Boy 3 years ago despite the notable curiosities that the only thing they had released at that point was a 3-track Chitown EP (or maybe a split LP with Project Rocket, depending on what time of year we're talking about here) and the fact that
the other bands you liked were MTV behemoths, with the exception of Rooney?

And how does somebody change from quintessential underground rock fan to quintessential underground hip-hop fan in one year?

I checked and the "Take This to Your Grave" album with the songs I used to listen to (foolishly downloaded, I don't do that anymore, i buy albums to support the artist) were from 2003. That was in seventh grade/early eigth, so yeah, it was only a year off. So back off a bit.. And this is basically what happened to my musical tastes.. I used to listen to that MTV pseudoemo stuff, and then somebody told me to "get outta there!" and he recommended me stuff like Ben Kweller and Phantom Planet. I then picked up some Rooney because it sounded mellow like early PP, and then eventually I got some Deathcab and The Postal Service.. When I first heard of Modest Mouse, they had laid-back songs like Float On and Ocean Breathes Salty.. When I got the rest of their albums, I noticed that I liked their older style better (Lonesome Crowded West). I also picked up some stuff from Hot Hot Heat and the Killers because I liked synth/keyboards.. Then when nothing was good on the radio, I would listen to Motown because the whole family enjoyed it. From Motown, I started to appreciate some R&B and stuff, and a friend of mine from St. Paul Minnesota told me about Rhymesayers (the twin's cities finest) and that's how it happened. There, now you know everything.. o_O

EDIT: Now, I have stuff from: Atmosphere / Ben Kweller / Blackalicious / Coldplay / Deathcab / Del / Eminem / Eyedea & Abiltities / Gorillaz / Hot Hot Heat / Jack Johnson / Madvillain / MF Doom / Modest Mouse / Murs and Slug / Oliver Hart / Phantom Planet / Queens of the Stone Age / Raul Midon / Rooney / Sahara Hotnights / The Killers / The Postal Service / Weezer

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I don't know if that's the case... I still listen to pretty agressive music, it just isn't stupid aggressive music. I don't mind ignorance... that can be beautiful (Louvin Bros, rural blues, etc.) I just don't like fake stuff pretending to be something it isn't. A lot of "kid music" is patently phoney, like wood grain contact paper.

See ya
Steve

ditto.

i listen to more aggresive music now than i ever have in the past, mainly technical metal/math metal/avantgarde metal.. but i don't listen to it for the aggression as much as for the inspiring instrumentation, creativity, and innovation.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #35 of 68
5 - 6: classical (from my parents), Chinese folk songs and Opera
6 - 11: Backstreet boys!!!! Britney Spears, Abba, Bryan Adams (becuase of my sister)- but anything on the radio at the time really
12 - 14: Then I started to skate and I got into the Epitaph 'punk' scene - Millencollen, matchbook romance, sage francis - also, i started playing guitar so eric clapton, red hot chili peppers, led zepplin, ac/dc
15 - 16: revereted to listening to mostly stuff from generations before my own. This included the Beatles, Oasis, the Temptations, the Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night, Elvis, Michael Jackson.
I also began to dabble in urban stuff - Fugees, Usher, Jay Z,
17: NOW I'm an "indie" girl through and through: Feist, Sufjan Stevens, the Stars, Stephen Malkmus, Kings of Convenience, Archtecture in Helinski, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Damien Rice, Tegan and Sara, I am Kloot, Coldplay, the Thrills, We are Scientists, Metric, Belle and Sebastion...etc etc.
I got into the jazz band for next year, so I've been trying to get into that this summer too - Coltrane, Miles Davis, Michael Buble (for vocal stuff) and also i've been trying the blues.

I wouldn't say my taste changed though, it simply grew. I still like the Backstreet Boys (saw them in concert last week :p), I love Jay-Z (the only rap artist I really enjoy) and I can chill out to some Beethoven too. But it's the indie stuff that's my main focus right now.

There's just so much good music out there to find.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's pretty exciting, when you think about it.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #36 of 68
I think my tastes have improved. For the most part, I still listen/enjoy everything I did in past years of my life.

Age 6/7 -- Bruce Springsteen.. my first experience of "real" music. Born to Run was my album of choice.

Age 9 -- Aerosmith, Cream, and Guns N' Roses.. odd combination, I know, but I really was into these three guys in particular

Age 11 -- Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Cream, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne.. again, not quite sure about this one.. maybe I thought I was cool becuase I was listening to hard rock
tongue.gif

Age 12 -- Nirvana, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath.. I got into the "grunge" thing at about 12/13 and quickly found it "lame".

Age 14 -- Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Heart, Jethro Tull, Phish, Gong, Radiohead, Disco Biscuits

Age 16 -- ELP, Frank Zappa, Phish, Steve Kimock, Santana, The Beatles, Yes, ELO, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Talking Heads, Genesis

Age 19 (Current) -- Rush, Miles Davis, Neil Young (again), Lou Reed, John Coltrane, The Mahavishnu Orchestra and John McLaughlin, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Beethoven, Bach, Handel, Jeff Beck, Herbie Hancock, Jethro Tull (my favorite classic rock band ever), Cannonball Adderly

Particularly between the 14-19 age groups, my listening habits only expanded, and didn't really change. I am still a huge fan of the jam bands, for example, and go to their shows regularly. And, of course, my listening was certainly not limited to these bands nor these styles of music. I have a large music collection, and my above list only contains the absolute best and favorites of all the "classics" that I have listened to over the years. I could list thousands of artists of whom I own records from, and still enjoy today, but that'd take forever
biggrin.gif

I feel my tastes have not just matured but have also opened up. When before I was only listening to classic rock, I am now listening to a lot more contemporary works and a lot of the more "sophisticated" works such as the 50s-70s jazz recordings, and the better-known renditions of classical works from composers like Bach and Beethoven. I also have a soft spot for Phillip Glass.
biggrin.gif
I think that it is important to enjoy some music that strikes the heart, and others that strike the mind. The mixture is the key. Neil Young and The Mahvishnu Orchestra belong on the same list together, even though they play completely different styles of music and accomplish two completely different goals.

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #39 of 68
When I was in secondary school, I was listening to what everyone was listening. My musical taste was not developed then.

Then I discovered BJORK
eek.gif

Shes not my goddess, but it did opened my eyes to the infinite possibilities. To think of it, the reason I tried her album was because I dig the name and cover art
icon10.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #40 of 68
when i was kid i fell into that crappy little girl stage and, sadly enough, owned a britney spears cd or two ( shudder )
luckily my older brother bought me Smells Like Teen Spirit and saved my musical soul, i listened to nirvana as well as the likes of weezer and green day, i got into rage against the machine and alot of rock like ac/dc, hendrix, and guns n roses as i got farther away from my little girl phase. i immediately liked the killers and franz ferdinand when they showed up on the scene. for a while i would not listen to anything that didnt have a guitar and drums, but then on a fateful day in the town of woodstock, new york i went into the Tinker Street Cinema and saw garden state. and a new genre was added to my life. since then i have started listening to the shins, coldplay, elliot smith, radiohead, the postal service, death cab, snow patrol, and alot of other stuff. now i have a much more forgiving but still refined taste in music. at 16 i still have alot of refining to do.

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #41 of 68
my dad and family always listend to Santana, War, Ojay , Earth Wind ANd Fire... i always hated it ... same with classic rock my dad would always play Zep, Floyd,Tom Petty etc. i would hate it but a few years ago when i was like 16 i started to listening to that stuff non stop....

so ya they changed quite a bit

Aug 14, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #42 of 68
I really don't think that my musical tastes have changed per se. I believe that my musical tastes have evolved. [maybe it was "intelligent design"
confused.gif
] I am involved in a lifelong search for great music in any and all genres. I still enjoy on occasion the vast library of music that I have accumulated, but I am happiest when I find something great that's contemporary. Head-fi and many of you have been a big help in that area, and as my musical tastes continue to evolve I thank you all...
icon10.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #43 of 68
The older I've gotten (currently 26), the more I find more freeform, mellow, and acoustic music is likely to appeal to me. Partly because that sheer energy I had a decade ago isn't as strong; partly because the more music you get exposed to, the more it helps to have some variety in the later stuff you hear. The stuff I just described is still nowhere near a majority of what I buy, but given that I used to never buy it, it's definitely a change. I'm more picky about what I buy, especially when it comes to pop acts. I still like a good deal of the music I used to like a decade ago, though, so there's still a place for the simpler pop fare as well.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #44 of 68
Neither of my parents, nor anyone else in my family, had any interest in music. My excitement with music began at about age 13, and involved solely classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc.). And, my love for music has remained almost totally focused on Classical music up to my current age of almost 68. I've listened to some Jazz, folk, and various kinds of pop music along the way, but I've always returned to classical music. I have no idea why I especially love pre-20th century European music (with emphasis on Baroque music, chamber music, beautiful singing of such music [e.g., Renee Fleming singing Handel Arias], etc.), but that's the kind of music that moves me. Never really felt any attraction to Rock and Roll, Beetle music, or any other kinds of music that's been developed between the 1950's and now.

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #45 of 68
7 : Michael Jackson + 80's collection that dad had in his car .
11 : backstreet boys , will smith , Five , jenifer lopez , Mtv shortly
14 : eminem , limp bizkit , linkin park , robie williams ,
15 : Tupac , Red Hot Chilly Pepers , System Of A Down , Metallica
16 - 17 : Pink Floyd , Led Zeplin ,Camel , Yes ,Sonata Arcitica , Queen , Dream
Theater , Orphand Land, Beatles, Clapton , etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back