How has your musical taste changes as you grow older?
Aug 17, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i see another common thread... we start out being influenced by our parent's music, and often return to it later.

That is definately what happened with me. When i was a youngin' I was only allowed to listen to Country and Bluegrass. Then I got into Jr. High School and started listening to 90's alternative. Stuck with that mostly all the way through highschool. Add in a little heavy metal junior and senior year, and a lot of classic rock. After I graduated, I started listening to a lot more classic rock, mostly because that's what my small town hickbilly friends listened to. Then I moved to the city and discovered mello-yello rock stuff like Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Donavon Frankenreiter, O.A.R. and such. I'm still listening to that stuff a fair bit, but now I mostly listen to Bluegrass and Bluegrass Fusion stuff. I've always listened to Bluegrass and always have claimed to love it (my dad is a banjo player), but I have really just started purchasing albums in quantity in the past 2 years. Bluegrass became so much more appealing after I discovered head-fi as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #62 of 68
As I grew up and heard all about how parents and children don't understand each other's music, I didn't want that to be the case to be true when I grow up.

I ended up eventually trying out music older than my generation and finding that it was indeed great stuff! But it seems that an appreciation of what would be my parent's music was tempered by my lack of appreciation of much of my own generation's music.

For some reason, I loath the majority of club music. There some sort of mental disconnect when I listen to it. There are of course many songs that I make and exception to and allow into my playlist, but for the most part I only enjoy the energy it gives, while my mind turns away in disinterest. Of course, I might be listening to the wrong songs.

But mainly, I think as I grow up, I find while I might like one genre more than another, all genres have a few songs that I'll find myself enjoying.

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #63 of 68
10 to 14 - Hendrix, Who, Beatles, Monkees (for real), Herb Alpert (my parents tried to assimilate me), Human Beinz, Soul Train (and whoever rolled through on the Big Train), Zeppelin

16 to 18 - Sabbath, Hendrix, Who (Quadrophenia), Guess Who, Allman Brothers, Ted Nugent, Bad Company, Zepplin

20 to 25 Hendrix, Who, Styx, Van Halen, DEVO, Zappa

25 to 35 DEVO, Dead Kennedys, Zappa, Neil Young

35 to Now Hendrix, Who, Zappa, Neil Young, DEVO, Alison Krause (a new found infatuation for East Tennessee InBred Blue Grass)

In the end, I have always adored (bought, sold, collected) stringed instruments - guitar, bass, and mandolins. Now, they are what I listen to, rarely the lyrics or chord progressions, but the strings - their vibrations, sound signatures, and even the associated noises like fret and pick rattle. Theirs are the voices I hear, and with the exception of Alison Krause, and occasionally Neil Young, am caring less and less for the human voice.

I am delighted to add my daughter (now 23) and I have always shared musical interests - now, if only I can keep her from 'borrowing' my CDs...

Oct 25, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Neither of my parents, nor anyone else in my family, had any interest in music. My excitement with music began at about age 13, and involved solely classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc.). And, my love for music has remained almost totally focused on Classical music up to my current age of almost 68. I've listened to some Jazz, folk, and various kinds of pop music along the way, but I've always returned to classical music. I have no idea why I especially love pre-20th century European music (with emphasis on Baroque music, chamber music, beautiful singing of such music [e.g., Renee Fleming singing Handel Arias], etc.), but that's the kind of music that moves me. Never really felt any attraction to Rock and Roll, Beetle music, or any other kinds of music that's been developed between the 1950's and now.

From early high-school through graduate school I developed strong listening interests to classical symphonies, I recall listening to classicals on radio almost every night. The only non-classicals I listened to were mainly Santana. In my late 20's I began to enjoy classical chamber music and vocals more and more, and now my classical listening material are dominated by them. Outside of classicals I fell in love with a variety of jazz and blues music.

Happy listening,
W

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #65 of 68
Got my first FM radio when I was about 8. My dad took me to my first Ray Charles concert when I was about 8 so thats where i developed a lot of my early tastes. I would listen to traditional jazz with with my uncle on his marantz tube receiver and HD414.

8-10:
Ray Charles
Nat King Cole
Charlie Parker
Miles Davis
Sinatra
Neil Diamond
John Denver

10-12:
Cool & the gang
Ray Parker Junior
Comodores
Queen, A night at the opera, and The Game are still my favorites.
The Police, I heard Outlandos d'Amour for the first time and frieked out.

13-18: The metal years, I started taking classical guitar lessons when I was 14.

Maiden
Dio
AC/DC
Sabbath
Deep purple
Metallica
Van Halen, I Crapped in my pants the first time I heard Eruption. That was the end of classical guitar for me. Bought an early Ibanez RG and some crappy Crate amp.... turned that thing to 10 and it would buzz and fart out!!
BOC
ZZ Top
Def Leppard
Early Dreamtheater
Early Queensryche

I still liked some of the more mellow stuff... The cars, Hewy Lewis, The stray cats, The outfield, Tom Petty, Big country exploded onto the scene to at about that time. Bruce & Clarence Clemens, More Police and More Queen

I started really appreciating 60s rock to in high school.... Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Doors, Janice Joplin, The Stones, The Who, Jefferson Airplane.

19-34:
Today my tastes haven't changed much... I'm more into jazz and prog rock now than before though.
Dreamtheater, Yes, Genesis, Asia, Styx, Marillion, Zappa, Kings-X, Queensryche

Still listen to Ray Charles and Nat King Cole from time to time... Gotta return to your roots!!

Phwew!!
Garrett

Oct 25, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #67 of 68
If you wait long enough, the stuff you don't like at all anymore comes back into vogue. Behind my couch I have an 8 foot long stack of progrock... Genesis Japanese imports, Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, etc. Maybe someday I'll be able to retire on the records I couldn't bear to ever hear again!

See ya
Steve

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #68 of 68
I'm 55 now, which means that I've gone through a LOT of musical eras
eek.gif

I have fond early memories of some of the 1950's "Hit Parade" stuff, including Patti Page, Rosemary Clooney, Ernie Ford, Perry Como, the McGwire Sisters, etc. I've made some fun cd compilations of those old hits.

My musical tastes reawakened around early 1962 when I started listening to the "top forty" radio stations in the Bay Area. I still maintain that this pre-British Invasion era for pop radio was exceedingly interesting, as there was a LOT of crossover stuff from r & b, country and western, and non-rock 'n' roll pop music.

But like some many people of my era, I fell in love with the Beatles in late 1963/early 1964. I was enamored of the British Invasion stuff for several years after that. This also was the era of the "hootenanny," and in my family we listened to a fair amount of folk music.

During my late high school and early college years, I liked what I guess now would be called psychedelic or progressive rock, including San Francisco Bands like Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead. I had quite a vinyl collection of "countercultural" rock and related music. I also dabbled in blues, particularly if I perceived that a blues artist influenced rock musicians I enjoyed.

In the seventies I hated disco (actually, decades later, I came to recognize that there were a few diamonds in that rough). I hung on to whatever good rock 'n' roll music I could find, including the Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, etc.

In the eighties I was squirreled away for several years working on a doctoral dissertation. During this time I listened to classical music mostly, especially Mozart.

In the mid-to-late eighties I stopped running for exercise (knees!) and started doing dance aerobics, to which my wife introduced me. I learned to really like some of the Hi-NRG dance music, which can best be described as sort of "post-disco." In the nineties I discovered electronic dance music starting with Eurodance, then trance and progressive house. These became my primary musical interest for quite a while. I collected a lot of cd's of electronic dj mixes, the kind which require "gapless playback" from an audio player. I also enjoyed some drum 'n' bass and ambient electronic music.

My perception has been that the creative edge behind this kind of music has dulled in the last few years. Consequently, now I am kind of looking backward and listening to all kinds of music from my past eras. I don't find too much brand-new music all that appealing. I sure don't care for hip-hop, and very little of what I hear from the current world of "pop" music grabs me. I hope that changes.

Meanwhile, my own sons, ages 18 and 14, seem largely disinterested in current music. They listen to some Beatles and some classical, but don't seem to care for the current pop fare. I actually find this a little strange, as I think rejecting Dad's music and embracing that of one's peers is kind of age-appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back