How has your musical taste changes as you grow older?
Aug 11, 2005 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
have your tastes changed as you have grown up and hopefully matured? i know we have young and old members here at head-fi, many with a very refined musical sense.

for me, i started as a youngster spinning my parent's beatles records, and the beatles are still in heavy rotation. then i went through a phase where i listened to nothing but the who, then after discovering kubrick, nothing but classical. to this day beethoven remains my greatest musical experience. when a friend gave me a "stop making sense" tape (thanks, finch) it got me back into rock in time for college. through the nineties it was a mix of heavy grunge (aic and nirvana) and stereolab. now idm (autechre and boc) and indie pop (stars and postal service) rule the day. but the beatles (my first love), the who, zappa (college), beethoven and many others including the grateful dead i still take with me on my musical journey.

how has your musical life evolved?

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 68
i used to be fairly limited to radio rock.. your pearl jams and nirvanas, soundgardens and stp's, metallicas and offsprings, candleboxes and cakes, cranberries and hoobastanks, etc.

today, i listen to everything from Bjork to Meshuggah.. Gordian Knot to Dillinger Escape Plan.. Phillip Glass to Throbbing Gristle.. Ephel Duath to Venetian Snares.. Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulsant to Strapping Young Lad.. Tortoise to Neurosis.. Stereolab to Tool.. Autechre to the Dave Weckl Band.. Squarepusher to The Mahavishnu Orchestra.. Plaid to Ozric Tentacles to the Vienna Art Orchestra to Ayreon.. so yes, i'd say my musical life has evolved just a little bit.. :O

honestly, i have to attribute most of that to a select few friends that were constantly exposing me to new music that crossed an infinite amount of styles and genres.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 68
if you like phillip glass i'd suggest "aguas de amazonas" and "akhnaten". i have most of his recorded output and these are the best. "akhnaten" is available in a budget cd now.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 68
Before I got to college and "matured" a bit, yeah right..., I was into the heavier, sheer visceral head-banging music like Slipknot, Mudvayne, Marilyn Manson, etc.

These days, I can't stomach that stuff anymore. I see myself learning more towards my classical and jazz music collection when I'm doing work, working out, or just relaxing and listening to some music. I'm also into the more melodic metal groups.

Basically... I think my musical preferences have gone a whole 180 degrees since I was in high school till now.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 68
Age 7 - Good Vibrations (What is that!)
Age 10 - T Rex, Slade, Mud, Wizard
Age 14 - Yes, Pink Floyd, ELO, Sibelius, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Age 16 - Zappa, Beefheart, Van Der Graaf Generator, Pere Ubu
Age 20 - Kraftwerk, Can, Birth Control, Neu!, La Dusseldorf, B52s, Cluster
Age 30 - Yes, Grateful Dead, Zappa, Beefheart, Pere Ubu, Can
Age 40 - Gomez, Beck, Benge, B52s, Blue Oyster Cult
Now - Good Vibrations (still, What is that?) and all of the above plus Gentle Giant, Paul Schutze, Edgar Varese, David Torn, Starcastle, Bill Laswell, Ozric Tentacles

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 68
I've grown open to many more things. Less focused on what's "new", more focused on what's "good".

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 68
I've always had pretty diverse taste in music, but the older I get the more diversity I experience...in my office right now, I have albums by mariah carey, eminem, iggy pop, various chesky jazz sacds, beck, santana, pink floyd, etc.

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 68
Well, I started out with radio music mainly. Music from the 80's. As I grew older (9, 10, 11) I got into hip-hop. I thought Dr. Dre's The Chronic was such great music. Then I got introduced to Dick Clark's Rock and Roll collection which I thought was a lot of fun (15). I really liked the lyrics and the music was very catchy. Then around 16 while "sitting" in the car with my girlfriend I heard Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and it really moved me. Soon I was getting in all his Symphonies, and then Mozart and then Brahms. At 18 I discovered the Neopolitan School of Classical Music and I have not looked back since. I can't go a day without listening to Francesco Durante or Mozart's Requiem. At 19 I encountered Jazz and really dived into that genre discovering the likes of Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and Bing Crosby. I am constantly finding new music I like of all genres, the newest being music by Josef Myslivecek. I am now 23 and I really feel out of place in a pop music world, but who knows how my taste will change in the future. In short, as I have grown older, so has my music tastes. I listen to everything from Abba to Mozart to ZZ Top and Zelenka and my horizons keep growing.

I shall keep you posted...As Time Goes By..(pun intended).
rolleyes.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 68
The biggest change of music for me has been since mid 1990's when I got internet access at home........opened a floodgate of info about groups/abums I could never hear any other way previously, my taste for extreme music expanded greatly (ie: darkest desire threads 1,2,3,4,5) as did general music collection
tongue.gif

Although old man now (49) my music taste has never been more extreme or diverse even though I had quite large music collection previously from 30+ years of rocking........ \m/
very_evil_smiley.gif
\m/

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 68
I came up through the 50's loving Rock and Roll.
Favorite > Come Go With me - The Del Vikings
I have since enjoyed various types through the years. Rock, Folk, Doo Wop, Country, Blue Grass, Big Band, Barbershop, even some Shaka Zulu.
No hard Rock, Hip Hop, Rap.
I now still like the 50's and 60's, Country and Blue Grass.
But, my favorite is still > Come Go With Me - The Del Vikings.

I guess I never strayed far from home.......

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 68
My taste has definitely widened in scope. In H.S. I listed to STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sublime, Led Zep, The Who, Clapton, The Doors, DMB, Phish and various "radio rock" acts.

In college and beyond I started experimenting with Jazz, getting more into the live material from Phish and DMB, delving deeper into Pink Floyd's catalog, Radiohead, Dylan, bluegrass, electronica, etc.

I still love what I listened to in H.S., though, for the most part; I dug out a Matchbox 20 disc the other day and for the life of me I couldn't remember why, out of all the music to buy at the time, I picked that. I think that when you're younger and have less exposure to music of different genres and styles you are more impressionable and can be "sold" on disposable and forgettable music much more easily.

I find myself having a much lower tolerance for really hard, aggressive rock these days.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I find myself having a much lower tolerance for really hard, aggressive rock these days.

Yep, I as well. Ten years ago, all I listened to was Hip Hop and Grunge. Neither, really hits my cd player anymore unless I am in total nostalgia mode.

Two things happened to me since then.

First, I listen to a-lot of stuff now that was not "cool" enough back then - really any kind of synth pop. It is part of maturing when one stops caring what people thinks of their musical taste or collection.

Second, I discovered Jazz.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 68
When I was in high school, I listened to "art rock" (which I have since discovered is neither). When I was in college, I heard Cab Calloway's "Some of These Days" and I realized that there was a lot better music out there than I knew about. I dove head first into Harlem Jazz, which led to Big Band Swing, Western Swing, Classical, Country Western, Opera, Folk, R&B, 50s R&R, Be Bop, Latin, Post Bop, etc etc etc. Every few years, I tackle a new kind of music and immerse myself in it until I figure it out. The only music I seem to have grown out of is "art rock".

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlManRivah
But, my favorite is still > Come Go With Me - The Del Vikings.

I guess I never strayed far from home.......

That has got to be one of my all time favorites as well from that era. I also love Come Softly by the Fleetwoods. Simply great music.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlManRivah
I have since enjoyed various types through the years. Rock, Folk, Doo Wop, Country, Blue Grass...

Could you recommend some Bluegrass? A friend of mine gave me a three CD live recording of Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys at the Camp Springs Bluegrass Festival in 1969, and I am seriously hooked. I thought bluegrass was all duelling banjos, but this recording showed me that there is a really rich heritage of folk music in bluegrass. I'd appreciate any tips you might have for me.

Thanks
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back