How has your musical taste changes as you grow older?
Aug 15, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #46 of 68
6-7: Scatman

8-12: Not any real focus, cant remember any other bands than Eminem I listened to at this time

13-14: Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, (still) Eminem, The Offspring, Nirvana, Metallica, some Bang Bang Trance etc. etc.

15: Bought MB Quart QP400's, still listened to some of the music at 13-14. Discovered the Voyage 3 CD. Thought, wow, that moby makes some nice music, and those female voices are really cool.

At 15 I also started listning to System of a down, Nightwish, Slipknot and much more.

16: Musical golden Year. (discovered Head-Fi, bought ER-6i).
+ Bjork
+ Massive Attack
+ Nine inch nails
+ Pink Floyd (I've Always liked 'the wall', started concentrating on the dark side of the moon)
+ Carl Orff
+ Mozart

And, Many more.

At present, 17.5: Still listen to many of the previously stated bands.

Lost the ER-6i's, bought SR-80's.

+ Collide
+ Apocalyptica
+ Muse

And, On my 'To Buy' list I have.

Muse - Origin of symmetry
Radiohead - Ok Computer
RJD2 - Dead Ringer
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Thats all I can remember now.

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #47 of 68
The older i get, the older the music.
600smile.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #48 of 68
A lot of people are mentioning this, and I think it's true for me, too: as you get older you care less and less about what other people may think of your taste in music. (Your peer group most likely becomes less judgmental as well, but that's beside the point) As independent-minded as I may have been compared to my friends in H.S., I doubt I would have started listening to bluegrass or classical back then. Now, no one's judging me, but it doesn't matter because I don't care what they think.

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #49 of 68
my musical taste, like my waistline, has expanded over the years
biggrin.gif

In recent years I have embraced music genres I would never have given a fair listen previously. I've gone from strictly Folk & Rock to also include Jazz, Classical & Electronica.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I've grown open to many more things. Less focused on what's "new", more focused on what's "good".

Given what "new" has meant in recent years, do we have any other choice? Exploring expanded and alternate musical genres, further backfilling things I might have otherwise missed and seeking out new, lost treasures is about the only option left, except for the very rare new work worth bothering with.

JC

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #51 of 68
6 - 12: classical, 60's pop (my mother's fare)
12 - 14: 80's radio pop
14 - 16: david bowie, the cure, the smiths, the clash, dire straits, springsteen, mike oldfield...
16 - 25: us, uk, irish alternative/indie pop, rock, punk, hardcore: no mainstream whatsoever
25 - 30: some mainstream, 70's rock added, nothing much new...
30 - 35: rediscovered headphones, rediscovered music, discovered new & old genres - added alt.country, electronica, gothic metal, postrock, folk rock, progressive, female singer/songwriters... some jazz, and one modern opera (philip glass's akhnaten)

there's little that i used to listen to that i don't any more, but i've broadened my scope, mellowed out & sharpened my edges...

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #53 of 68
Over the years :

Top 40 > Heavy Metal > mainstream pop & rock, bits of Indie > Blues > Folk & songwriting > Country Rock > Americana > Electronica > Classical

I just discovered one style to the other along the years, either by relative "boredom" of the current categorie, or by recommendations from friends/relatives, or just by the wish to try a complete new area of music. It can take me years for liking something though...took me approx 6-7 years between the time i first listened to Dylan and the time i actually "got" it and started to dive in it... Same now with Classical/ Choral works....I would have laughed at you if you had told me about it 3/4 years ago....if you are not "ready" for something, well, leave it and maybe come back to it later....one day (much much later) it might be just what you need and it might all make sense
biggrin.gif

Papy

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #54 of 68
"my musical taste, like my waistline, has expanded over the years"
etysmile.gif

i see another common thread... we start out being influenced by our parent's music, and often return to it later.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #55 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i see another common thread... we start out being influenced by our parent's music, and often return to it later.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
eek.gif

the dreaded 'I'm turning into my parents syndrome

biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #57 of 68
Do you know the old adage that says that "the acorn never falls far from the tree"?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
eek.gif

the dreaded 'I'm turning into my parents syndrome

biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #58 of 68
Roughly 90% of my music tastes focus upon classical and opera. I am devoting the extra 5% to jazz music. The remaining 5% is devoted to pop / rock / new age / musicals / Broadway / country / holiday music. I do not listen to rap or hip hop, but I do listen to rhythm and blues, soul, and funk once in a while. This is through my reference system.

For radio, I still pretty much listen to contemporary adult pop / rock most of the time in my old car and I rarely listen to anything else. Using my Tivoli Model One, I listen to mostly classical music and little pop / rock. On Sirius satellite radio, I hardly ever listen to it because it is through my SONY TV which rarely gets turned on - ever. I hardly ever watch TV and almost never listen to Sirius. It's not that it's bad, but I just spend most of my time exercising, reading, and studying. I would rather learn about my passions -- Hi-Fi, music, firearms, and creative writing, along with Bible Study -- rather than sit there and vegetate and get fat all over again.

I do not expect to really change my musical tastes either. For me, classical and opera along with jazz music constitute 95% of my music listening habits and they have stayed that way for well over 3 years now. I do listen to new age a bit more than rock or pop when I get tired of my musical habits, but then I just focus on other priorities and goals in my life when Hi-Fi is taking up too much time. Again, I do not expect to suddenly fall in love with country or folk music as my habits are ingrained.

Aug 17, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #59 of 68
4 years ago, age 13, i was a terrible teeny-bopper
frown.gif

Now, im into pretty much everything. Looking at what i have been listening to: Michelle Branch, Aimee Mann, Alison Krause, Mike Oldfield, Infected Mushroom, Joe Satriani, Seether, Trapt, Jack Johnson, Massive Attack, Maria Mena, Tracy Chapman, Lasgo, a little Muse, Nirvana, Nickleback, Opeth, Pearl Jam, Audioslave, Scala (!), The Donnas, Tori Amos, Zero 7, Ziggy Marely.

Rob.

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #60 of 68
7: Midnight Oil
10-11: Radio **** (Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Warren G etc etc)
12-13: The Corrs
14-16: VAST, Alice in Chains, Rob Zombie, White Zombie, System of a Down, Disturbed
17+: no more system, rob or disrturbed. Bring in Iron Maiden, bigger love for AIC, keep VAST, WZ and the Corrs and add all types of different stuff from Gothic Symphonic Metal to Female Vocal Jazz to Classical to Dark Electronica!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back