How good is this deal: ATH-AD700 for $59.98 (incl. shipping)?
Dec 5, 2010 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

knigt

New Head-Fier
I just found these on some dinky electronics site somewhere, and I'm surprised. They're on sale at Amazon for $89, and Google Shopping has other listings for $79, but $55 plus $4 shipping? That seems crazy good...

One further informational bit: I just got my first pair of nice headphones, A700s, and I like them a lot, but I can't help but wonder what the open-back format sounds like, and for so cheap this seems like the best way to find out with a brand/model line I already know I like...

So mighty Head-Fiers -- what is your collective opinion?

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Heh, I'm not sure, and I was wondering if that sounded too low to even seem real.

Here's the link -- mind checking it out and telling me what you think? I obviously don't want to get scammed, but I haven't dipped my toes into non-mainstream headphone shopping yet, so I don't know if this is outside the norm in terms of a trustworthy site/plausible price:

http://www.byay.net/audio-technica-ad700-open-dynamic-headphones-p-292.html

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 13
Your first clue should have been the .net suffix instead of .com.

Second, their List US prices are still much lower than the selling prices from most reputable US places.

For example, their list price for the Monster Beats is $204.99, and they will sell it for $159.99.  Yet nearly every site online that you peruse via Buy.COM, Amazon.COM, or Google Products sells them for $299.99

Third, here's the HUGE red flag.  Click on the "About Us" in the bottom of the home page, and here's what you get:

Quote:
About Us

is a Factory-Direct e-Commerce platform based in Hong Kong. We have served more than half a million consumers all over the world since 2005. More than 15,000 visitors browse our products online each day.

Directly linked with over 100 factories in China, this is your avenue to steal a bargain right on the shop floor of a factory.
A solid team of dedicated professional managers and staff has been developing and operating this online store platform.

How Do We Do It
Latest products brought to you directly from our factories in Asia
No traditional distribution costs incurred
No unnecessary advertising expenses
No expensive retail store costs

So, they are based in Hong Kong, the "king" of fake headphones

In general, just stay away from byay.net

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 13
'Direct from the factory'..how would that work anyway ? Surely the manufacturers wouldn't allow that ?
Shows how its always important to do a little bit of research before u buy from anywhere though...think you've saved yourself a lot of hassle !

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 13
Seriously, what is it with new users and asking whether about these kind of "deals" all the time.
Just pay the little extra a legitimate retailer asks for, and get something you're sure is authentic and has after-sales service.
There is a reason why these kind of shops are selling their wares this cheaply, and it's not for your benefit.

I always wonder if this phenomenon is something headphone related, or if it also exists with other goods.
At least, I don't see people asking all the time whether a video game console or TV at a largely reduced price from some
shady shop is a good deal.
But here, it is very prominent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back