How good is the NEX IIe Sound? & Clips KSC-50's?
Apr 18, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #31 of 38
scottyrulez, uhm, judging by your profile and your posts, I kinda doubt you have, erm, spent much time training your ears to what an accurate sound is... maybe we can talk about some things a bit? you've got a lot of enthusiasm to ya (rap! ****! girls! cars! yah! lol...) but you could use a bit more experience.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
I fill my iRiver flash player (128 MB) in 5 min.
And I can burn a CD hooked up to USB1.0 in 20 min.
700MB/20=35
So 35MB per min. ~ 0,58 MB per sec.
10MB/0,58 =17,2

So 17,2 sec to load a 10MB mp3.
To sum it all up, USB speed is almost 3x faster than said above.

I hope I did the math right...

You are proably right about speed. It just took so loooooong to transfer those files because im used to "dvd" speed.

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #33 of 38
Just picked one of these up. My opinion on the sound....

1) it's pretty good

a) fair amount of bass
b) relatively smooth
c) seems to roll off early in the treble
not overly dynamic or detailed even as MP3 players go

I compared the same mp3 on two other sources (sorry I don't own an Ipod)

1) Archos Recorder running Rockbox is more detailed, better sense of rhythm and separation, better highs, but a little more jagged.

2) Dell Axim A5 sounds imilar to the Nex ii w/ much less bass and dynamics with pocket MVP instead of media player

couple big plusses for the Nex. the Archos always has the matter of the hard drive whirr, you get used to it, but it's annoying.

PDA's are nice in a pinch, but not really the greatest for bopping around, limited battery life. and you always worry about the screen.

the Nex really does fit in a shirt pocket....you can jog and walk with it relatively worry free....It's cheap.
one small pain, you really do have to format your CF cards to FAT rather than FAT 32 or it has problems with directories and freezes constantly.

I'm glad I have the Archos (hard drive players still have their place) but it's not perfect for all situations calling for a portable.

I still use my PDA for mp3's once in a while, when I don't want to carry multiple gadgets.

the Nex has its place and the sound quality wouldn't stop me from buying it vs. other portable mp3 players.

I would not however substitute it for an SACD player with Marsh Sound Design amplification etc. I am curious to see what happens after Fixup finishes whatever mod he's trying to the Nex.

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #34 of 38
How does one format a CF card?

I just bought a card and put it in my camera and it worked. What would I have to do to the card in order to use it in a NexII if I got one?

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #35 of 38
you format it the same way you do a floppy disk. go to "my computer" if you are using windoze....click until you see the compact flash's drive letter. Right click on that....format will be one of the choices on the menu.

most compact flash cards come pre-formatted, but mine had been formatted for fat32 rather than 16 bit.

It was confusing, because with the fat 32 card, the player could read files and even play music, but it couldn't go in or out of a folder without freezing. Once I reformatted my cards, all was fine and the operating system on the Nex is actually okay.

once you do the format, they should still work in your digital camera. At least they do in my Nikon.

Aug 20, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #36 of 38
after a very short time with the nex iie, I'm having battery door problems. It's not a huge deal, you have to keep it in place with a piece of scotch tape, cause the tabs either break off or loosen up.

I've contacted the company, but it's the sort of thing that would keep me from recommending the device at this point until I see how Frontier handles the matter. I mostly care about sound, but something a week and a half old shouldn't need scotch tape or velcro on the case and obviously it's a worry for those of us who want to use it in the gym or for jogging

Aug 25, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #37 of 38
Heh, the main worry for me was how to get the last battery out if I didn't fit it over the ribbon for pulling it out. Couldn't pry it off nohow, using screwdrivers and all
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 31, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 38
the company was very good about the battery door. they sent me a new one, no questions asked....

I would recommend the nex iie...I would like someone to address the battery door problem though.

I use the point of a ball point pen to get the back battery out... it works pretty well....but is not the easiest or most convenient way to deal with the batteries...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back