How good is the NEX IIe Sound? & Clips KSC-50's?
Apr 15, 2003 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

rblanco10

Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

How good is the NEX IIe portable MP3 Compact Flash & IBM Microdrive compatible MP3 player?

http://www.frontierlabs.com/NEXIIe.html

I did a search on NEX IIe and there was some discussion on this player, but not enough information on the sound quality.

I do own a portable MD player and MP3/CD player, and now
looking into the NEX IIe for its MP3 playback ability and USB
hard-drive like characteristics also. BUT HOW GOOD IS ITS SOUND
playing 192 and above MP3s?

Also, I know the NEX IIe has some predefined EQ settings, but is
there a user setable EQ? Are the audio clip earphones comparable to the Koss KSC-50's?

I own the original SonicBlue RioVolt PSX100 (SP100) and have been pleased with the MP3 playback, so how does the NEX IIe stand up to the RioVolt SP100 in Audio-wise and MP3 playback-wise?

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 38
The ability to use 1 gb cards is attractive. I wonder if the player has gapless playback?

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 38
If you're implying the implementation of Ogg, then that's a negative-niet-no.

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 38
Still I want to know how this player sounds, someone that is an owner of a NEX IIe please try to describe.

I have heard that there is a loud pop sound when the unit is powered on (audible through the earphones, maybe speakers?)

Does it sound better than the original RioVolt SP100?
(I am looking to replace the RioVolt Sp100 with the NEX IIe or similar MP3 player.)

Aside from my main topic, the setbacks on this player, so far from what I have read...

1) Poor plastic feel.
2) Poor battery useage (2AA). < 15 hrs.
3) No rechargeable batteries.
3) No m3u support
4) Primitive Song Navigation
5) Music stops before a new EQ is set.
6) No Remote
7) No FM Tuner (but their newer model does have one.)

(Other disadvantages, but no portable mp3 player has these
functions yet)

8) No gap-less playback
9) No Ogg support (yet, but it's advertised in a future firmware.)
10) No cross-fading between songs playback

Advantages:
1) Doubles as an MP3 Player and a USB portable storage device.
2) NEX IIe IS NOT a SDMI-Compliant player
3) No software needed to transfer Mp3/Wma's or data, all is
done through the WIN Explorer through drag and drop.
4) Player uses, is compatible with the 1GIG CF cards, and the
1GIG IBM microdrives.
5) Extreemly small, and ultra portable.
6) Excellent LCD with backlight, also able to disable backlight
to conserve batteries.
7) While plugged into computer USB, the player obtains power
from your computer, to save batter power while downloading
songs or data.
8) Programmable playback.
9) Earphones included are sport clips that look like the
Koss KSC-50's (maybe not as bulky.)

So it has its advertised advantages and known disadvantages.

Lates!

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 38
I have the NEX IIe MP3 player and its great. It sounds great and it does have a user programmable EQ. It makes a pop at start up but it doesn't take away from the performance at all. It puts a "G" in front of some of the song titles but I think its the ID3 tags that you change that can fix that problem cause I do that and it doesn't do it anymore. Great MP3 player

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 38
Thanks Scottyz Rulz!!!!

Have you ever heard the MP3 decoding from the iRiver or SonicBlue portable MP3 or CD/MP3 units??? How does the
audio response from the NEX IIe MP3 decoding sound compared
to the iRiver or SonicBlue?

As for portable audio output the newest iRiver MP3/CD players have had great sound. How does the NEX IIe sound compare?

The NEX IIe does not have a line out does it, only an earphone jack correct? Do you know the specifications of the player?? What is its output power? Most American PCDPs and MDs output to 5mW to 7mW to the left and right channels. (... Right?)

Like my Sony MD outputs to RMS: 14 mW (7 mW + 7 mW),
my Sharp MD outputs to RMS: 20 mW (10 mW + 10 mW),
and the SonicBlue RioVolt SP100 (I don't know.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your responses, keep the feedback comming.

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 38
rBlanco10...Check it out dude !

new Nex player with Fm radio and remote !

S.S.

P.S.
Distortion rate... <0.05% at 32 ohm

Signal to noise ratio: 95dB

Maximum headphone output.. 30mW@32ohm

Frequency Range.. 20Hz to 20KHz

Ave. play time (2XAA alkaline).. 13 hours /w CF card; 7 hours using 1 GB Microdrive

USB transfer rate.. approximately 400 KBPS

LCD display.. 132X64 bitmapped
frontierstore_1736_87104

Apr 16, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 38
yeah I saw that NEX ia. It is even more expensive than the
NEX IIe. The new NEX ia has it all, but I don't want it all.
smily_headphones1.gif

I already have 2 MD recorder/players that I don't use the microphone recordable functions enough to justify purchasing an MP3 player that has voice recording capabilities. My MD player has both an AM/FM tuner also.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am just looking to replace my original RioVolt Sp100 with another portable MP3 player. The NEX IIe seems like what I need:
High capacity, removable media, great sounding MP3 player (?), and a portable USB storage device.

But can more people please comment on the SOUND of the
NEX IIe (comparable to the iRiver or SonicBlue mp3 players sound if possible.)

Thank You!

Apr 16, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 38
Gee, sorry, I thought that I'd try and scratch some of those things off of the disadvantages list for you. Why, I'm willing to bet that some of those problems are gone such as
Quote:

Primitive Song Navigation
5) Music stops before a new EQ is set.
6) No Remote
7) No FM Tuner (but their newer model does have one.)

Those were on YOUR list so...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyay, the price difference isn't all that much compared to the lle and in anycase, Scottyz rulez said that it sounds really good, and I don't imagine that the sound quality got worse. Yeah, I know that you want a direct comparison to the iMP 350....well, you may have to wait till I get this new puppy for that comparison.

Apr 16, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 38
Thanks everybody for your support.

Sweet Spot, thanks for your suggestions. I also realized that you have been researching the NEX MP3 players also. I do appreciate your help, thank you.

It may be that you will be the first user to write up "The Review" for this board for the NEX MP3 player. When are you planning on getting one?

Well can somebody please write about the NEX's sound quality?

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 38
Just to confirm. The Nex _DOES_NOT_ come with the KSC-50.

I'm sure, the headphones that does come with the unit are pretty crappy.

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 38
Hi, I think the looks of the NEX Ia are pretty ****ty, theres the FM tuner but why would you want that when the radio only overplays old songs. The only advantage with the NEX Ia is the remote. I emailed Frontier Labs last night and here is what they said:

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, NEX IIe does not come with a remote.

Thank you.

Customer Support
Frontier Labs.

THAT SUXZ

Sorry rblanco 10 I can't compare the sound cause I don't have the players you listed. It doesn't distort at high levels unless you're player was faulty when you bought it and everything is clear. theres only a headphone jack not an output. But you can by a cable with two headphone plugs and hook one end into the mp3 player and the other into a receiver and play the music like that. Sorry i ahven't answered all you're questions but I have to get ready for school. I may reply again tonight so ask as many questions as you want.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 38
Allthough i don't have NexIIe anymore, I can recommend this player. It has its flaws but it is a good choice if you want a cheap player. I think that there are better players on the market but you have to pay more to get them.

I can not compare sound quality of NexII and Rio players but i don't have any complaints about sound quality of nex. And the phones that come with nex are crap. I would rather would buy Nex without them and pay 5€ less.

Apr 16, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 38
I had a NEX II and it sounded like listening to a snowstorm when I used sensitive earbuds with it.
frown.gif
Dunno if my unit was flawed, or if this has been improved in the IIe.
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back