How good is the NEX IIe Sound? & Clips KSC-50's?
Apr 16, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
I had a NEX II and it sounded like listening to a snowstorm when I used sensitive earbuds with it.
frown.gif
Dunno if my unit was flawed, or if this has been improved in the IIe.
frown.gif

Wow, that's pretty bad sound quality.

I had been considering selling my Nomad II which uses Smartmedia so that I could buy a Nex IIe which uses Compact Flash. I thought it would be better to have a player which uses the same memory as the camera I own. I hardly use my Nomad now, but I thought if I could use a 256mb card in the player I might actually use it more.

Given the above comment I inclined not to buy a Nex IIe.

Apr 16, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
Wow, that's pretty bad sound quality.

Given the above comment I inclined not to buy a Nex IIe.

Watch Dog, you should buy the NEX IIe, its well worth you're money. IT looks sweet, sounds even better. If you buy it and it sounds bad, take it back but I would bet any money you would be completley satisified. Except the headphones. throw them out and use a good pair or buy some. There are no flaws or bugs with the sound in the NEX IIe at all. The only bugs are when you turn it on it makes a pop sound but I have found that it doesn't distort at high volume levels. it is well worth the money

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 38
Alight! this thread is a discussion now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can the NEX IIe play Windows Media 9 WMA encoded files using
the varible bit rate encoding?

Scottyz Rulz, what can you compare the NEX IIe sound to? Do you have any other MP3/CD/MD players that you can compare the NEX IIe better or less audio quality play-wise.

On the specifications on the NEX IIe (from the frontierlabs website) they list Maximum headphone output.. 40mW@32ohm
Is this pretty good?

40mW = 20mW left + 20 mW right Correct?

Might be good since a Sony MD that I have produces
Output Level 5mW + 5 mW, load impedance 16 ofm.

Does the higher the earphone output mean the louder you can driver higher quality Headphones? Or does it just mean that the higher the earphone ouput power level, the less battery power you will have? Or does it mean both????????

Thanks for your Help everybody.

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #19 of 38
Oh yeah I forgot to add...

I started this thread for the discussion about the audio quality of the NEX IIe.

There is a NEX II model which the NEX IIe is the upgrade to. So the NEX II was the start of it all with the NEX IIe
being the upgrade to the original release with some features
being widely improved upon. Let us not get confused about player models here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I only wish that Frontier Labs could have improved on the physical attributes of the NEX IIe (to have a nice metal casing,
instead of its current cheap plastic feel to it as I have read about
the player.)

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 38
Sorry, i only have the RCA K@ZOO mp3 player and the NEX IIe is 50 times better than that. some of the mp3 players i've heard like the apple ipod and archos jukebox recorder 20 i think the NEX iie sounds the best. all though those other ones are 20gb mp3 players the NEX iie can hold up to 1 gb of data or music which is more than you may want to listen to at one time. the NEX IIe is one of the best if not the best mp3 player there is. with great performance and wicked awesome looks it should be rated fairly high. the only downside is it doesn't have on-board memory but i can live with that. you have you're own opinions......

Apr 17, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #21 of 38
Nice!!!!

I like it that the NEX IIe can hold up to 1GIG in removable Flash and microdrive cards, perfect if you are looking for something like that. Big enough to carry a lot of music, but not to archive all of your music, it has its advantages.

So the NEX IIe sounds better than the IPOD? NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that is a comparison.

Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 38
I would like to hear a Nex, excuse me if I'm a bit skeptical about it sounding better than an iPod though.

I notice one of the warehouses they ship out of is in Surrey which is fairly close to where I live. I'm going to ask if I can listen to a player before I commit to buying one.

Apr 17, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #23 of 38
Say Scottyz Rulz (or any owner of the NEX IIe), I forgot to ask,
do you ever use your NEX IIe as a portable usb data storage
device? How fast are the transfer times? One thing I have to ask.
Can you open and edit files that currently reside in media on your
NEX IIe drive/player?

Or at least can you select mp3's or wma's and open them with any media player on your computer (can you select a mp3 file that resides on a media card inside the NEX IIe and play that mp3 file with winamp - or another media player?)

Or if you have a bunch of pictures or mpg files on a media card, and you want to show them off to your friends or family on their computers can you use your NEX IIe to show the pictures or
mpeg files directly from your NEX IIe player/drive? Or do you have
to first transfer the file to their hard-drive and then view or play
the file?

Can you save your resume on a flash card using NEX IIe, then take the player with you on another computer, and open your resume and edit it straight from the NEX IIe player/drive? WOW that would be neat.

There was another thread that was discussing how long the batteries lasted in the NEX IIe player. One user was using rechargeable batteries and in his test he found the player to be able to play for 12 hours more or less (I think he said that he didn't think that his rechargeables were not charged at full capacity also.) Frontier Labs claims that the player will play with
2 AA alkaline batteries for 15 hours.

Say Scottyz Rulz (or any owner of the NEX IIe), can you tell us how good/poor/or adequate the batteries lasts in the NEX IIe player?

Great I think this will be my next player!

Thanks for any help!

Apr 17, 2003 at 9:12 AM Post #24 of 38
I was talking about battery life on nex and i think that with good 2000mah batterys you can get to that 12hours. Of course if you use not rechargable batterys you can go to 15hours.

You just plug your Nex IIe in to usb of your computer and it shows as an "hard-drive" in your explorer. You can manage it as easily as any hard-drive.

Dowside is that NexIIe is a usb1.0 player so moving stuff is really slow.

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Laffer
Dowside is that NexIIe is a usb1.0 player so moving stuff is really slow.

Really, how slow? How long does it take to transfer a 10meg mp3?

Well here is yet another question: Does the NEX IIe sound distort at high levels?

I am asking this cause all of my portable music devices that I use, and play them in my car (with the earphones output to casette adapter) I have to put their volumes at full power to get any decent sound through my car stereo system. If the NEX IIe starts to distort ugly at high music level outputs, please tell me that this
is this only with low quality earphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #26 of 38
I think the NEX IIe does sound better than the Ipod. the NEX IIe has an better equalizer than the Ipod, 5 bands, which is very nice if you have very bass heavy headphones like mine, the Sony MDR-v700 DJs. Transfer times for the NEX IIe is quite fast. With the newest version of Media Jukebox- which comes with the NEX IIe- you can play songs right from the compact flash card with the player being hooked up. If you have picture files or any files you can just hook up the NEX iie to you're computer, as long as they have the drivers for it, and just like a removable drive -for example a floppy disk- and you can open the files while they are on the CF card and do anything you want with it. No transfering required. I use DURACELL Rechargeable Accu NIMH/1.2V/1800mAh and they last about 15 hours. VERY GOOD!! I have to go but i will answer more questions in an hour.

Apr 17, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Scottyz Rulz
I have to go but i will answer more questions in an hour.

Do you think you can answer the question about using the
NEX IIe in an automobile that I asked above?

The distortion, that I have read in web reviews that the NEX IIe experiences near full volume, that is due to cheapie headphones right?

Do you play your NEX IIe in your car/automobile, with an adapter that goes from the headphone jack to the autos cassette player, and do you experience any distortion when you have the volume on the NEX IIe turned way up to hear it through your Autos stereo system?

Thanks for your comments, the NEX IIe does seem like a great player, different for everyone's needs ...

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 38
I don't use mine in a car cause I burn Cds also for when i'm in our car or my bros truck. It does distort at high volume levels but not with nice headphones. Sorry rblanco10 that I can't answer you're automobile question. Any other questions? I'll be happy to answer.

Apr 18, 2003 at 11:21 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by rblanco10
Really, how slow? How long does it take to transfer a 10meg mp3?

Thanks!

I don't remember the exact speed of usb 1.0 but i think that it is around 1.5Kbit's /second so to transfer one 10 meg song it would take about 50 seconds to transfer. And if you have a 256MB card you would have to wait for a 20 mnutes to fill the card! That is slow but it isn't a problem unless you are in a hurry.

Apr 18, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 38
I fill my iRiver flash player (128 MB) in 5 min.
And I can burn a CD hooked up to USB1.0 in 20 min.
700MB/20=35
So 35MB per min. ~ 0,58 MB per sec.
10MB/0,58 =17,2

So 17,2 sec to load a 10MB mp3.
To sum it all up, USB speed is almost 3x faster than said above.

I hope I did the math right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back