how good do they need to be?
Sep 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dull

New Head-Fier
i watch paladia and sometimes vh-1 every morning and i'm wondering how good my headphones really need to be. i alternate between my ms1i and ha-rx700's running through my home amp. i'm just wondering if a headphone up-grade is warranted by the source?

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Headphones sound different from one another - and each usually sounds different when used with different equipment. You may or may not prefer different headphones than you're currently using (note: I didn't say better headphones).  

If considering the purchase of new headphones...

What equipment are you plugging your headphones into? 

What's your budget for buying new headphones? 

What differences in sound do you want from your RX700 and MS1i?

Quote:
i'm just wondering if a headphone up-grade is warranted by the source?

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 6
i'm plugging into the headphone jack of a panasonic sa-bx500, connected to hd directtv receiver w/hdmi. i listen to all kinds of mainstream music and i prefer open cans. most often i listen to the ms1's and i'm thinking about upgrading to senn hd555's which are open but i'm also considering closed m50's. i'm currently modding the alessandro's- tinkering around with distancers and different pads while i make a set of woodies. i guess what i'm after is a larger soundstage with these, but being a noob i'm exploring all different aspects of headphones. my budget is $100 to $150.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 6
the senn 555 with the modded soundstage via my instructions will be your best bet.  i love them.  the soundstage is huge after doing the mod and they are the most comfortable headphones.

check it:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511698/soundstage-mod-for-sennheiser-hd-555-595-re-mastered

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 6
IMO your HARX700 is fine.  Honestly, I downgraded from a MarkL modded D2000 to a HARX900 (one step above ur 'phones), and I wasn't missing much.  If I had to start over again on a very limited budget I'd no doubt buy a HARX900 + good dac/amp such as the uDAC2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back