How fast are you willing to drive on the freeways, highways, & expressways?
Feb 1, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #61 of 83
so many speed-demons
very_evil_smiley.gif

SpeedRacerFantasySideartthumb.jpg

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On open, straight, stretches of road like the H-3 I'll go around 80-90 maybe 100 if I'm in a real rush but only because it's usually empty and there isn't really any place for the cops to hide. I've been fortunate so far and haven't been ticketed but I keep on my toes now the new speeding law has come into effect here (30 over the speed limit or 80+ and you now get arrested.
mad.gif

Given your past record, maybe you should slow down a bit.

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your past record, maybe you should slow down a bit.

I'm driving a Honda Odyssey minivan, and about 97% of the time, I'm just keeping up with traffic. If you read, rather than judged, you would see most of the time I go around 65, which is slower than most in the left lane here and definitely slower than the 120+ some guys say here say they do everyday. Right now, I do mostly city driving (Just to school and practice, errands, etc), and because I get 10 mpg in city if I drive even moderately fast, I go the speed limit. I don;t like paying $40 for gas every week.
wink.gif
The car doesn't even go over 2k rpm.
rolleyes.gif

There's a difference between driving fast and driving stupidly and recklessly, I know that now and take offense when other people refuse to just let things go. When the road was designed for cars to go over a hundred (My dad helped out with the H-3 project, which is the only place except perhaps right next to the airport where the freeway is five lanes across, empty at night and dead straight, so I'm not pulling this out of my arse), I don't feel bad going 80 when it's straight, and desolate. It's not like I'm racing my soccer mom mini van.

If you've been to Hawai'i in the past couple of years, you would know that when driving, you have a lot more to worry about than speeders. People pulling cuts without looking nearly hitting you and causing you to swerve into the next lane in the process, forcing merges at 60 mph, drunks hitting pedestrians or running their cars off the road or into a pole, people running reds when the light has been red before they even get close to the intersection, and guys talking on their cell phone and swerving in between lanes because they have a hard enough time with both hands on the wheel much less one or even none. And that's just the beginning, my dad came back form his trip to Nor Cal and was appalled that Cali drivers actually drove better, safer, and were friendlier on the road than in Hawai'i. Honestly, I'd rather have people paying a little more attention while driving, then sticking exactly to the speed limit. One example of this is that my parents recently had to send in their car to have the nearly the whole front clip (Front bumper, headlights, left fender) replaced because this stupid woman who was talking on her cell phone, reversed onto the hood of their car with her Tundra. Even with my dad honking his horn at her, she said she didn't even realize she had climbed his car. C'mon, you have to pretty pre-occupied to not notice you're reversing over something three feet tall, what if that were a kid on his/her bicycle, or a mom pushing her stroller? Fatalities related to careless driving are much higher than fatalities related to speeding. I'm not sayin I agree with the guys pushing 120 everyday because I do feel that that is a little excessive, but I still don't think that it's the end of the world if they do and I do believe they are far worst hazards on the road than that.

Feb 1, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #68 of 83
Since the rise in gasoline prices I try, with God's help, to keep it at 55 m.p.h. It's great: not only do I gain anywhere from 2-4 m.p.g., but I always have the road all to myself! Of course we're talking rural interstate here! : )

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #69 of 83
This poll is kind of amusing from a german perspective.
100 mph isn't considered to be fast here.
More than 180 mph is expensive though.
evil_smiley.gif

It's not only the costs of gas.
High speed eats the tires quite fast.

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #70 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This poll is kind of amusing from a german perspective.
100 mph isn't considered to be fast here.
More than 180 mph is expensive though.
evil_smiley.gif

It's not only the costs of gas.
High speed eats the tires quite fast.

I don't know how many cars you have that go 180mph. My car tops out at 140mph (which I couldn't even hit in my IS300 when I tried because I wasn't going downhill, lol) and my bike topped out at 155mph.

Feb 1, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how many cars you have that go 180mph. My car tops out at 140mph (which I couldn't even hit in my IS300 when I tried because I wasn't going downhill, lol) and my bike topped out at 155mph.

I've been telling you, slap an SP turbo kit on that bish. Its a stout block.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #73 of 83
interesting thread, but can only offer feedback from the USA here.

Enforcement from state to state habits and strictness obviously are not the same per region. I used to drive in Oh, and the cops were out..Tickets were a thing of the present, and always on the consicous mind..however, in driving in CA and AZ for 5-6 years now consistantly..the traffic is very fast, and to keep up and safe..seems about 15-25mph over the limit usually...and rarely are people stopped/ticketed for speeding. (granted we have photo lights, speed camera zones, and many other diamond lane violations that make up for those pulled over for speeding, but is all relative)

Since many roads are different from state to state, driving typically warrants different speed zones and limits for such. Rural areas that catar to the 75mph limit, like highway 8 for the most part from AZ to CA..typically flow pretty fast.. Most everywhere else is 45mph or 50mph speed limit zones VS the 35mph and 45mph zones back East.. so the driving is faster.

The complexity of interchanges and massive lanes out West VS in the Midwest certainly provides that more people on the road are traveling. This entails more precautionary or defensive driving ability in my experience. (many more morons in other words on the roads in AZ..AND with the right to tote guns??, nice)

Another interesting idea concerning driving is the season changes that affect the population on the roads here in Phx temporarily from snow birds; as a result, the roads and overall speed of the traffic during the winter months here in AZ adds another element to the way people drive and how fast.

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #74 of 83
I feel like I am out of that "speed racer" mode now and drive speed limit for the most part.

I say most part because if I am doing a long distance drive, when I am out on the open road, I'll go faster, 10-15mph over the limit, or about 85mph on average. I'm courteous to others so if I am going 85mph and am approaching another vehicle, I will slow down, and pass the vehicle at a slower rate, then speed back up after I pass them, rather than passing them at a high rate of speed.

Just be aware and don't drive recklessly (like weaving from lane to lane in heavy traffic). Keep it safe
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #75 of 83
Living in Los Angeles, I like to keep a fairly moderate pace of 70 MPH when there's traffic. That's fast enough to not have everyone go around you, and slow enough to compensate for all the ******* who change lanes without signaling.

With absolutely no traffic, I tend to hover around 90 MPH, which is about as fast as I can expect my car (1991 Toyota Previa minivan) to go without being worried. The fastest it can go is 104; hit 105 and the dashboard starts rattling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back