How fast are you willing to drive on the freeways, highways, & expressways?
Jan 31, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #32 of 83
When traffic is flowing, probably 80mph since everyone else is. If I'm on a long stretch of pretty much car-free highway up north between towns I might gun it to 95mph+ to save time. Silly me, gonna end up X_X-ing myself.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #34 of 83
I voted 65-80 but I never drive 65. If the limit is 65, I'll usually set the cruise at 73 or 74 which should keep me safe from cops. But then I'll look for other drivers who pass me at higher speeds so I can follow them for a while, being careful to lag far enough behind so that they will get the ticket but not so far back that I can't see their brake lights! These are the people who I say have good "leadership qualities" as they go zipping past me. If they want to go 90 or 100, I'm game. At least for a while.

Of course the best position to be in is the 4th or 5th car in a 7 car caravan. That doesn't happen too often, but I love it when it does! Even if cops come up from behind, you're still safe. But when I drove down from Illinois to Florida a couple of months ago, the State Police in Indiana had a new trick! They had a man up on an overpass bridge gunning speeders on his radar and taking down license plates. On the other side of the bridge, there must have been 6 or 7 cop cars pulling people over! Those boys really brought some game! They could have nailed an entire caravan with no problem at all.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #35 of 83
120mph is the magic speed

course i never drive that fast cuz the fuzz has my number
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #37 of 83
I generally stay between 70 and 85, and will occasionally hit 90-100, but I'm not really comfortable at those speeds for long... Living in Washington State made me fear speeding tickets too much.
frown.gif
The cops up there are evil... Oh well, down here in LA it seems like there are a growing number of traffic cops recently... I think I'm going to start keeping it under 75.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #38 of 83
Around LA, I sync up with the flow of traffic and blend in. That can be anything from a crawl to 20+ MPH over the posted limit. Almost ironclad insurance against speeding tickets, as well.

But on my frequent trips to Arizona, I'll wind it up to 100-110 MPH. I use a radar detector and am very safe about it. I leave at oddball hours to miss traffic, avoid lane changes, keep the car in good mechanical condition, and don't do anything stupid. No speed contests or cutting it close with other drivers. I slow down if my gut tells me to. The car a RX-7, and the rotary is perfectly happy to run at high speed for 3-4 hours or longer. Great car... if I had known they were this good, I would have bought one years ago.

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #39 of 83
These days I'm pretty boring about speed- rarely more than 10km/h over rural limits, and pretty much never over the built up limits. I've always been pretty strict about the built up limits, but not necessarily so on highways or empty roads- it's just the cops here are pretty vigilant and I don't want points on my licence. In a way it's a shame, cos there are some good, empty roads out here. Also a shame the Northern Territories just brought in speed limits on their rural highways, prior to that there weren't any!
tongue.gif

However, back in the UK, living in a rural area with very little in the way of police presence or speed cameras, I was a bit of a speed demon. Cruising would usually be 80-90mph. I maxed out at about 130mph in somebody else's SL500. I also managed (in my underpowered 1.3 litre Mazda 323) to get from Salisbury to Newcastle in 5 and a half hours which is pretty good (usually plan around 8). Dunno if it's still the case, but there were no speed cameras on the M1 back then!

Final recollection on UK motorway driving is me going down the M3 out of London on a Sunday night. I was doing about 95mph in the slow lane. People were passing me in the middle lane, and others were flying by them in the fast lane!
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #42 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Driving around in PA is usually around 85+, but at home in Ohio people generally only do up to 75.

I agree, in Ohio, most people drive slightly under 10 miles over the speed limit.
blink.gif

I keep it at about 5 mph over the posted speed limit most of the time.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #44 of 83
In Philly, I usually do around 75-80 for my commuting on highway. I might do 90-100 during long trip. I think the limiter is my car (Civic)
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, in Ohio, most people drive slightly under 10 miles over the speed limit.
blink.gif

I keep it at about 5 mph over the posted speed limit most of the time.

Wow, what's going on in Ohio? Too many traffic cops?

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #45 of 83
I used to speed when I was younger, now that I always have my boy with me I go with the flow of traffic (70-80) and I avoid unnecessary lane changing. I feel so mainstream now...*beep, beep*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back