How fast are you willing to drive on the freeways, highways, & expressways?
Jan 30, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 83
generally around 70-80Mph when on the main motorways etc. Speed limit on them is 70Mph so I'm not actually going that much over, and I get overtaken by lots of people at the same time so I'm not even keeping up with some of the speed demons on the roads.

I don't like going much faster as it's breaking the law and although I'm one of those people that think that the limits should be higher on the motorways I don't want to flaunt the limits too much as the speed cameras will most likely catch me out and I can't afford all the fines.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 83
i have made it up to 79kph downhill with I am quite sure a breeze to my back. my eyes were tearing up so much that i could nto see and was glad to reach the end as any faster and i was sure to hit something or fall to the side of the road in a splendid display of ripped aluminium and flesh...

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am always at least 80mph and will drive an even 100mph if terms are right on long drives. Here and there I go 120+ but its not for long distance.

This is spot on with my driving habits.

If I'm making a long road trip on the interstate, I'm always between 100-125.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 83
When I drove to Cinncinatti from Connecticut, in CT I stayed around 70mph but around midnight going through the endless highways in PA I admit I averaged 130mph for a while. Honestly, it felt no faster than 80mph. The A8L is a fantastic high speed cruising car. Went through a ridiculous amount of gas though.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 83
In MA, going under 100 mph on the highway is often suicide. I normally go 60+, but if everyone else is gunning it, I really have no choice...

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to drive as fast as possible on the highways in my younger days, but now I don't want to be hassled with worrying about speeding tickets and the costs that go with them so now I'm at 10k over the posted limit.

Me too, when younger I drove much faster and took way more risks. I think at least a few times I pegged my folks 911 near 140 mph on the 101 at 3AM.

And after the break-in period on a new engine, I’ll usually take it to the limit at least once. My last two new cars don’t allow you to maximum them since they have an engine cut-off right after 125 mph.

I don't care about tickets as much as getting into an accident. Tickets take some of your assets and usually if you know a trick or two you can wiggle out of it and get a full refund, but an accident can take flesh or worst kill. And can't forget damaging your ride.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 83
I'm usually right around 85 or so. Sadly, my car can't do much over 95.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 83
Normally 7 over, or up to the rate of the faster traffic if there is any

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 83
Most major arteries around my area are 60-70 km in city and 100 outside or through the city. I'll stay within the limits or just tipping above say...5-10 km in the city and I'll always stay below 20 km over on the freeways. I generally don't go much above 110 ever. On any regular streets in town, I'm at the speed limit and in domestic areas I stay just below for fear of clocking some kids.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #27 of 83
Depends on the speed limit. If the limit is 70mph....I try to keep it under 80mph....usually 75-77mph, with occasional 80mph stretches, depending on where I am. On a 65mph road, I'll run 72 or 73mph. I'm not a habitual excessive speeder, even when I'm on the bike. I figure on the bike, I'm a much more prominent target for cops than when I'm in my Tundra.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #28 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General freeway speed is 120km/h, though on long stretches out in the boonies I'll cruise at 140/150 and on occasion I've been known to get things up to 190 (zero traffic, daytime only).

On highways and especially streets, I try to stick as close to the posted speed limit as possible, 10km/h over tops. Too many people, pets and animals to worry about.

I guess you could say I'm a "responsible speeder". No erratic driving, no stupid BS moves, considerate in heavy traffic, etc.

I'm pretty much the same. On the highway I usually do 130-140, maybe 150 when there's less traffic around, or at night when everyone goes faster. I try not to go too fast unless there's a couple of cars in front, though you rarely see police on the 400-series. I drove to Ottawa a year ago, and we saw exactly one police car during the entire drive there and back, and he wasn't even stopping speeders.

I never do the whole weaving thing, and I am very careful when changing lanes. My sister's boyfriend is very bad on the highway -- he is the type of driver who plays games with other drivers, switching lanes to cut them off, slowing down to piss them off, etc.

Unfortunately, our car (Mazda Tribute -- Ford Escape) has a (undocumented) speed limiter at 160km/h, which is pretty ridiculous. I know there is no good reason to be driving that fast in Canada, but the limit is too low for emergency situations, or places in the States where the traffic might actually be going that fast.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #29 of 83
75 mph is my max.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #30 of 83
Too fast. And if I'm on my sportbike the temptation is much worse. It's very stupid to do in either case. Fortunately I have a lot more self control than I used to and rarely do it with traffic around me. Just when I'm alone so if I crash I only kill myself because of my stupidity. ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back