How do you shrink your heatshrink?
Nov 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #47 of 58
I use a lighter.

I know, I'm a philistine.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #51 of 58
I use the harbor freight special as well. Not good for precision work or SMD removal, but more than enough for normal heat shrink duty and you cannot beat the price. The dual flow settings are nice considering it is $8USD.

BTW, works REALLY good as a paint stripper as well.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #52 of 58
I use a hair dryer, it works very well.

bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #53 of 58

Quote:

I thought it was only for dogs....

Not according to George Costanza on Seinfeld. 
redface.gif

On my job, I used to have to use shrink wrap on the ends of a 20MΩ resistor that was about one inch away from entering an umbilical. Ridiculous design. I don't think they ever thought the resistor was going to fail. Never assume anything in the world of electronics.

So I had to shrink tube the 2 twisted ends on either side, and then shrink tube the resistor itself because there was always a chance that fluid could leak in this 9' UL rated umbilical and short
out the 600vDC and everything that was along the circuit going back to the power supply. 
We used this (2" butane torch) it had a pretty good pinpoint flame:

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #55 of 58

Quote:
I've been suggested a Weller 6966 Heat Gun; expensive, but I like the fact that it consumes only 210W, and it has adapters available for fine heat-shrink / solder sleeve work. Besides, Weller is known for its great quality products, so hopefully it will work out a worthwhile investment.

I have just received it and will be using it soon; quite an achievement that it heats up to 400-430°C using less than 250W! Smaller than I thought it would be, and less noisy too.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #57 of 58
I've used a hair dryer, a disposable lighter, a zippo, and the infamous solder gun proximity technique.  I own a used heat gun that outperforms all of these, though the gun smells like a closet full of smokers' clothes so I don't really like it.  I prefer to use heat vision.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #58 of 58
Had a heat gun, it broke, getting a new one eventually.

Used a small propane torch for the wiring on my car a couple months ago, worked pretty well.

Lighters are all but useless outdoors in the slightest breeze.  They don't work period in freezing cold temps.  They also leave black residue on otherwise good looking work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back