How do you pronounce "Vista"?
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) And I can't think of a single word in english that contains the plain romantic 'o' vowel. None. It always turns into a smeared dipthong across 'ou'. Why is it somehow more attractive, or easior, to be MORE complicated? (...)

Hmmm, rock? Pot? Bottom? (Ro-)bot? Sod? Rod? Bollocks?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: What the English language really needs are Umlaute: hämbörger! *rofl*

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is vis-tuh. Straight from the creator's mouth @ 8 minutes 14 seconds:

http://microsoftatces.com/archive/20...s-keynote.aspx

well i guess thats the answer, unless thats not the real bill gates??!?!?!?
confused.gif
eek.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You consider Italian and Spanish dialects? Last time I checked, they were languages.

But, to the point:However, I am pronouncing it in Dutch, not in English. That's the whole point: words are not pronounced the same in different languages. Example: Heineken: English speakers pronounce it differently than Dutch (Heineken is from the Netherlands) speakers. Same case, different word.

You seem to have missed my point entirely - good catch on my slip though. Whoops. I was simply coming back at a member who effectively posted contempt for a language because it's not as romantic sounding as certain others.

Let me be very clear that in reality, I couldn't give three ***** and a nickel.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

rock? Pot? Bottom? (Ro-)bot? Sod? Rod?

Nope. I'm talking about a plain short 'o' like in japanese お or maybe how Steve Irwin said the last vowel in 'bloody croc'. IPA [o̜ ̞]. American's pronunce 'rock' with an 'A' as in あ or argue, arm, etc. 'rak'. Not 'rok'. Americans probably sound sillily 'british' pronouncing 'rock' with an [o̜ ̞].

Quote:

Bollocks?

That might be the closest thing I can think of, actually. Good one. But then I've never heard an american prounce 'Bollocks' either.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #55 of 57
With a soft "I" as in "hIs".

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. I'm talking about a plain short 'o' like in japanese お or maybe how Steve Irwin said the last vowel in 'bloody croc'. IPA [o̜ ̞]. American's pronunce 'rock' with an 'A' as in あ or argue, arm, etc. 'rak'. Not 'rok'. Americans probably sound sillily 'british' pronouncing 'rock' with an [o̜ ̞].

That might be the closest thing I can think of, actually. Good one. But then I've never heard an american prounce 'Bollocks' either.

Yeah maybe in Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back