How do you pronounce "Vista"?
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Vista is a worldwide product, it's going to be pronounced differently depending on where people are talking s*** about it.

Hahahaha!!!
icon10.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pronounced "Cra-pole-uh"

X2... or maybe should be pronounced Ubuntu (ùbúntú / "OO-BOON-TOO")
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vih-stah.

I have no idea where the hard "vee" sound comes from.

Vih is hard. Vee is soft, right?

"Vihstah" is correct. Most customers I talked to said "Vista" correctly, it was usually the foreigners who said "veesta" or worse, "the veesta", as some insisted.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 57
Vee-sta. For me, I think pronouncing the "I" in that manner is an artifact stemming from too much Japanese and Italian study and music.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 57
I'm hespanic with relatives who speak spanish all the time since I can remember and I've never once thought of pronouncing it "Veestah"...

It's "Vis-stuh" for gods sake...

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #25 of 57
Odd. I don't think I've ever heard the word said aloud (in the meaning of the operating system), but I've always thought VEE-stuh to myself. I guess when I see the word vista it seems more familiar to me as a Spanish word than as an English one. And I don't speak Spanish. But everyone knows hasta la vista and all those place-names like Buena Vista, Laguna Vista, Alta Vista, Vista del Maretc.

Vista is a fairly rare word in English ... I would think a lot of Americans think of it as more of a Spanish word. If not, it must just be that I pronounce, or at least think of, a lot of words whose etymologies are obviously romantic more like how they'd be pronounced in Spanish or Italian -- this thanks to a Latin teacher long ago who insisted we speak the language like the Romans presumably did.

EDIT: Yeah, I just did a Google search, and it seems like pretty much all the results (of which there are many millions) are for Windows Vista or for proper names that are of Spanish or Italian origin. In comparision, it seems to be used hardly at all as an ordinary English word.

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 57
I would have to say 'vistah' until an MS employee says otherwise. Vista by definition is a beautiful view or panorama, but often in conjunction with a view framed by an avenue of trees for instance. I would see this as a metaphor for the view beyond or through a window and specifically an 'aero' window, which allows the view to the window beyond or layered below.

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 57
Never mind Vista. What about Linux? I pronounce it the same way as Linus in the Peanuts cartoons but apparently the official way is Linnucks. I guess that's because that is the way the Finnish pronounce the name Linus but it is not how we pronounce it over here so I pronounce it as Line-ux.

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #29 of 57
I pronounce it like it's spelled...it has a romantic 'i' because it's a f&^$% 'i'. Like the vowel sounds in 'eat', 'feel', 'meat', 'petit', etc. イ. To all sensible people, in a basic word like Vista, that's the default pronunciation of the character 'i'.

I also pronounce the last vowel instead of centralizing it to the disgusting, lazy, germanic 'uh' sound as in 'mud'. Why do average english speakers just decide that certain vowels aren't important? Like practically all trailing vowels. I don't think the trailing 'e' as on the end of はじめまして for example, even exists in english, english speakers are just too good to pronounce vowels on the ends of words, I guess.

And the english 'A' as in 'cat', hat, mad, tally the way american english speakers say them. What makes that so damn attractive? I mean in most languages, even sensible langages that use the roman alphabet, it doesn't even seem to exist. Why do english speakers like it better than the sensible 'a' that words like 'cafe' come with?

And I can't think of a single word in english that contains the plain romantic 'o' vowel. None. It always turns into a smeared dipthong across 'ou'. Why is it somehow more attractive, or easior, to be MORE complicated?

I hope to one day understand what causes american english speakers to randomly assign one of their 13 random and transcendent vowel sounds to unfamililar words.

And absolutely every person that has attempted to communicate their pronunciation through some kind of conventionalized spelling fails. Don't you understand that no matter how you spell it, unless you use a locked in script or IPA, people are going to read the vowel differently depending on their linguistic background? It really blows my mind.

'I pronounce it 'Vista'
'No way man it's 'Vista'
'You are both wrong, I pronounce it 'Vista'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back